ODBA Moneys... What to do, what to do...

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by Mike Moore, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

As the title states...we have $330 in my gun safe. What do with, ODBA? We talked about it at Wes's last weekend, decided to send $100 to BP.com. Other things talked about were:

-Decals
    -Shop supply expenses for wrench days
    -Foodstuffs/campsite fees for events
    -ODBA website fees
    -Show vendor spaces at Nats, Carlisle, Dixie Regionals

What else, guys? Where do we go from here. Just tell me where to write and send the checks and we'll get 'er done. If "we" collectively think we ought to keep some, we'll keep some. If we decide to clean house, we'll clean house. Anybody wanna volunteer to be the holder of the funds after the dust settles? I'd rather not. Just being honest.

2. Brian Huver

Brian Huver Farmall Cub

What do the other clubs do with there money ? Maybe they have some good ideas that they would be able to give you. Just a thought.

BH

3. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Personally, I am embarassed that you have been stuck with this. You expressed trepidation about holding the $ from the beginning, but did it anyway. You brought this up again at last year's meeting, and quite honestly I thought at the time "whats the big deal, lighten up". Yet, neither I nor anyone else lifted a finger in the mean time to relieve you of something you clearly expressed reluctance to do from the get-go. And when you brought it up again Saturday, I was like holy crap, we need to do something asap. I did not understand how you felt until you spoke about the note you have in the envelope with the cash. I really feel bad about it and I am sorry for not helping.

I clearly have a different view about this money than some. I think there are many different ways to go about club building. Exposure at shows, supporting hosting of events, window/bumper stickers, paying bills or reimbursing those who have paid in for us already (Binder Planet, Alan etc) are all excellent ways to reinforce what we have already started. Buying food/condiments etc to lessen the burden for get togethers is also a good thing. We all ate food Saturday. We all had fun working on a Scout Saturday. It was a communal experience IMO. I'm not sure how spending $10 on a gasket or 4 spark plugs to further a communal experience is any different than paying for hamburgers or buying a vendor space. In some ways, I think it is even more effective. The people who do not come don't eat any of the hot dogs anyway, right? Some people don't even like hamburgers.....

That being said, folks are completely entitled to feel how they feel about things. Angst over pocket change is not what I live for. I think the $ needs to go away. There just isn't any common ground to support a rollover fund for club activities.

4. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

Appreciate the honesty Mike.

My $0.02:

-send some $ to BP for 2011 + 2012
    -send some $ to olddominionbinders.org to cover 2012 hosting fees (I think Alan mentioned 2011 was paid up...)
    -balance for ODBA decals?
    -if it's really a challenge to spend, then maybe donate to TreadLightly or similar off road supporting cause.

In the past, the crew seems to be good at coming up with $$ as needed for decals/t-shirts/campsites/etc so maybe it's best to return to a $ neutral pay as you go club.

5. WesV

WesV Y-Block King

I agree with Keith in several aspects
    1.) Donate to BP for this year and next
    2.) Make up decals (say 5 per person that request them and then another 25-30 to keep on hand for when new members would like some.)
    3.) In interest of getting club name and recognition out, post a poll as to which event most people in the club are planning on attending this year (similar to the hand vote we took at the get together) and then get a spot at the one event that the most people will be attending. From the looks to the hand poll it was between Carlisle and Nats.

I personally don't feel that buying supplies for our get togethers would be as beneficial as some of the other things listed above because those things will vary from event to event and in all honesty require us to hold the money longer. I am in full agreement that these funds need to be liquidated. We have never been a club who wants to deal with dues, funds or any real requirements and I think the reasons for those sentiments are coming to light with the small slush fund we do currently have.

I would like to suggest that by March 15th we take the majority opinion as expressed in this thread and authorize MIke to disperse the funds to the allocations of the result.

6. Brian Schermann

Brian Schermann Binder Driver

Money....

1. 5 decals mailed to each club member where they want them or not. They can give them away, sell, trade whatever.
    2. BP donation 100.00
    3. Donate the rest to Blue Ribbon Coalition, Tread Lightly, IH retired farmers etc.

Just send me some stickers!

I will continue to update the Carlisle thread, but there won't be any news until open space issue on 28 Jun. If my schedule allows I will get a spot this year, to clear out my scout excess.... For $75.00 I get 2 free adult entries for the 3 day show.

Thanks
    Brian

7. Dave Nutter

Dave Nutter Farmall Cub

What about the George Washington National Forest ? Isn't that the Forest we usually use on our 'runs'? Are they setup for donations? Or What Brian said.

8. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Maybe sponsor a trail cleaning/maintenance effort in GWNF? I have no idea of cost but we could partner with a local 4x club. Baltimore 4 wheelers does go there.

Another option might be setting up an LLC or something legal to take care of formalities of being a club. I don't like the formalities but it would sure reduce the angst of carrying other people's money.

9. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

I like this idea. Funds could go toward heavy duty trash bags, gloves and tipping fees at the nearest landfill or a bulk trash pickup. Club members could bring rakes, dustpans and hand tools for picking up broken glass and such. We'd have to plan how to get stuff out and picked up, but I imagine it wouldn't take much research to find out how other clubs do it.

I looked into this last year. It would cost about all the money we have right now, possibly a bit more. It would give us legitimacy as a legal entity, but then we would have more recurring fees every year and have to file tax returns and such. I wouldn't mind doing this as I already run a business and more or less know the "ins and outs" of it. I doubt any of the rest of us wants the job, but I'd take it if the majority thinks it would be a good thing to do. Let's put it on the poll and see what others think?

On a final note I also like the ideas of BP donation, window decals, the aforementioned club vendor spots and other charitable works. Let's get a poll going as has been suggested and put the ideas out there for a vote. Looks like everyone wants to distribute our funds fairly and quickly, all differences on how to do so aside. :)

10. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

If I may make a recommendation, SEBA sponsors a half page add at Nationals, we may take it to a full page ad this year, still undecided, but it does two things at once, gets your name out there, and promotes a much needed event!

11. atlantascoutfan

Great idea, Mitch! Thanks for sharing it with us.

12. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

It's been a week with no further comment in this thread, I think we need to keep it moving and get this monkey off Mike's back, so to gather all the suggestions in no particualr order;

1. Decals
    2. Wrench Day Costs
    3. Event Costs (Campsites, Food)
    4. ODBA website fees
    5. Vendor spots at shows
    6. BP Donation
    7. Nationals Ad
    8. Cleanup day on a trail (supplies)
    9. National 4x4 or IH related Charity Donation.

We've had some people discuss some of the items, and have their say.

Perhaps a poll at this point, and we take the top three items, or is there more to discuss?

13. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

Maybe we can use some of this $$ to pay for lunch and/or dinner at the wrench day, instead of Scoutco paying for it again? :yes: Also--is it time again to send $$ to the BP for hosting?

14. atlantascoutfan

We could also kick some money towards renewing the DNS for olddominionbinders.org; it expired today and I'm renewing it Friday, but it would be nice to use club funds instead of mine, it being close to Christmas & all.

15. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

I was in favor of this all along, but others did not see it that way. I am pleased that these ideas are being considered again. Count me in favor of either/both.

16. atlantascoutfan

Just renewed our DNS for the website: $40.66 for two years of private registration. :stuart:

17. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

$41 sent to Alan over the weekend.
    Alan...do we have a hit counter on the the site? I'm curious as to how many folks are looking at it.

18. atlantascoutfan

Got the funds; thanks, Mike! :clap:

As for a counter no, there doesn't seem to be one. There are some statistics in the admin control panel but they aren't very useful IMO. There are add-on counters that I could install. I'll add it to the to-do list.

19. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

[Sarcasm]

I, for one, am hurt and disgusted to see our hard earned money moving out of Mike's safe after 2 years of him not wanting it there. :taz: *storms off*

[/Sarcasm]

Maybe we can have food and stickers for the wrench day, pay a few bucks for consumables at the barn and send the remainder to the BP or Tread Lightly? By my maths $330-$100 to BP, if that got done a while back -$41 for website leaves $189. Minus eatin' like kings, some stickers (my apologies, Mike, I meant to say 'High quality vinyl decals'), and ~$10-$20 or so for sawzall blades welding gas, and whatnot used in January leaves ~$100 goin to BP or Tread Lightly.

20. atlantascoutfan

I still haven't put a counter on the site. As little as it's getting used I don't think it would really tell us anything we don't already know -- i.e., we're all hanging out here, not there. :rolleyes:

That being said, it's time to renew the hosting. It's $50 and it's due in two weeks. Do we have club money to pay for the hosting? If not I'll start a donation drive. I'm broke as usual. :stuart: