Nuts and bolts guide

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rollercam, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

I am a newbie when it comes to working on scouts. I purchased a project (1978 scout II in pieces, it is 100% completely blown apart) and I may have bit off more than I can chew, but I am going to give it a shot. My question revolves around hardware. Is there a resource or a guide that lists bolt, screw, and nut sizes, length, and thread pitch for the various fasteners used throughout a scout? I received a box full of fasteners with my purchase, but nothing is labeled. I am hoping that there is a resource out there that can help me. I would like to just purchase all new fasteners for everything, but I don't know what to purchase. Any help would appreciated. I know I have a daunting task ahead of me, but nothing is impossible. I can use the trial and error method and make it through, but I thought there might be an off chance that I wouldn't have to do that. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Well, the good news there is little to no metric on the Scout. I think the power steering pump may have some metric hardware but that's about it. I wouldn't say there is a guide out there. Most fasteners are your run of the mill coarse thread 1/4-20, 5/16-18 and 3/8-16. The second number being the threads per inch. I would say 1/4 and 5/16 are the most popular for body panels. There are a handful of fine thread in the engine compartment. Typically a stud where one side is coarse and the other is fine. If I were you, I would get a box (100) of 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 in various lengths (3/4, 1, 1 1/4) and take what you need. Also look into SAE washers which have a smaller OD and can be often more convenient. Grade 5 zinc plated would be what you normally find out. However, in an engine compartment, those zinc plated fasteners can look a little out of place (too shiny).

3. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

4. RD Durham

RD Durham High Wheeler

No metric fasteners on a Scout, the only thing close would be the Scout II for 1980. It had different fittings for the steering gear, instead of the double flare fittings used on earlier Scouts it had the o-ring type compression fitting that was used on other domestic vehicles at that time. Even then I don't believe that you have to use metric wrenches to work on a 1980 steering gear or pump. I have a 1980 Terra and I don't remember having to use metric tools to swap out for a 1979 steering gear and power steering pump.

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

The MT-130 Parts catalog has good breakdown diagrams and lists fastener hardware for/under lots of components. For example, under Flywheel (number 878 473 r21) it shows "BOLT, HEX-HD 3/8NF X 1-3/8 -8-".
    BTW, some bolts are 'headstamped' (actually raised letters) "IH" and are worth keeping or giving to restoration "purists".

Manuals and other publications are available from http://binderbooks.com/

.​

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. Rollercam

Rollercam Farmall Cub

I appreciate all of the information. I looked at the link above for all of the pdf's and it had a ton of information, but it looks like I would need the MT-130 parts catalog file and I did not see it. Am I just missing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

BinderBooks stays in business by reprinting and selling hardcopies of the old literature. That manual should be listed for sale somewhere there. It's copyrighted and not legal to scan and post online but considering what Binders spend on vehicles, used and NOS parts, customizing, gasoline, insurance, tools, etc. I think paying (by buying their products) to keep someone in business who provides these services is quite reasonable.
    FWIW, I bought the maintenance and parts manuals for my 800B when the vehicle was new, decades before Ali Gory invented the Internet, so relied almost exclusively on those manuals for any information I needed about work I did.

gwinter1129 likes this.