Non IH brake question.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Albuq. Henry, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

Working on my Chebby 94 k1500. The brake performance for the past year or so has not been what it used to. I had pretty muched chalked that up to rear wheel seals and rear wheel cylinders that are seeping and the rear pads are wet. The truck has not been used much so repairs have been put off. Anyway today the level in the master resevoir went too low and I sucked air. I just now finished finished bleeding I didnt get as much air as I expected, and the pedal isnt as firm as it should be. But heres the deal. While bleeding I only had to add to the larger resevoir.

I am thinking I have a bad master and only the rear half of the master is working which should be the front wheels, but how am I getting fluid to the rears? Does the proportioning valve let fluid cross as a saftey deal for like in my case now so I will have rear braking action??

Thanks-Henry

2. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

The dual master cylinder is were the fluid for the front and rears. Ons side works the fronts the other works rear. So if one loses fluid the reservoir for the other stays full and you still have front or rear brakes depending on which was still full. The proportioning valve just keeps the rears form locking before the fronts.

I would fix the rear drums form leaking and clean and replace the pads. The rebleed the system front and rear.

3. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

Yeah plan on fixing the seeping and pads, but was wondering on why, when bleeding, did I only have to add fluid to the large resevoir when bleeding the front or the back??