No Start trouble shooting help

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Hutch, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Yeserday I was out wheeling and had some starting trouble. I'll be going through things today and was wondering if anyone with more experience could through out some possible places to look for problems.
    The truck (see Sig) started in the morning fine, went and filled up w/ gas, started fine.

Drove to trail and stopped to lock hubs etc, this is when I had the first problem. I had found a loose ground wire recently and checked that but it was fine. Jumped the truck and it fired right up. Drove for a while then stopped. Same thing. When turning the key, I got nothing, no click no nothing. Checked some connections again and found the remote solonoid had a loose connection. tightend that and tried to start it, nothing. Jumped it, drove on, stalled on a uphill (need to learn to drive still :D ) checked more connections, jumped it again and got going. This happens once more and we call it a day since Sam broke his rear driveshaft a while back anyhow. As I am driving home, I slow down to turn onto my road and hear a loud backfire. I feel a loss of power then it comes back, about to turn into driveway, truck seems to die, no power steering or power brakes. Drop into drive way and let off the clutch and it fires up. Limp to parking spot by shop where it stalls and dies completely :(

FYI-
    Pertronix
    Remote solonoid
    Dual batteries w/ battery isolator

Was running awesome prior to this.

Thx for your help. I'll be checking all the electrical connection today and charging the Batteries w/ a charger to see if they hold a charge.

2. mudroad

mudroad Farmall Cub

I had a car years ago and the colum key switch was bad it did all sorts of weirrd things lights would die while driving at night so wiggle the key and there is light again Check all your basic connections first and dont over think the problem its probably quite simple +/_

3. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Checked battery Voltage. Main Batt was 9.6v so it's charging now, and I think has not been charging through the Alt. 2nd batt was 12.6. Still nothing with key in ignition. Test voltage at remote solonoid w/ key in ignition to run, no voltage at solenoid. couldn't try to crank and check voltage b/c I'm by my self.
    So far all the connections look good. I'm charging the battery too.

So, bad solenoid? Could it be the Ammeter? Pertronix?

4. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Well, found the short, fixed it and with the battery charged it seems to be running fine. Fires right up now, guess we'll see.

5. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

i was going to say sounds like the battery took a poop. i've had that happen, the alt. can't keep up and it shuts the truck down with loss of power. was prob. loading up then fired and let out a backfire.