Nick's scout AKA the Blue Bomber

Discussion in 'Old Iron Offroad' started by lev1a, Nov 14, 2010.

1. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Quoted me so I can't fix it now. LOL good for a chuckle.:oops::D

Nick I was always told that it was the motion in the ocean, but maybe my wife is just trying to make me feel better about myself..............

TR thanks for the props on the build, and I always like to help out local guys when I can. Tell your friend thanks for the 4 link stuff and I am sporting the sticker. :beer:

2. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Doin work Son. :D Got some stuff to post for Nicks veiwing entertainment. Got a pretty good amount of work done to the Blue Bomber this week. Got the oil pump primed and the valve covers buttoned up, new spark plugs, front and rear diffs. filled with fluid, new ujoints in the drivelines, anda good chunk towards installing the new wiring harness.

Since this was a fresh rebuild I wanted to make sure that the oil was more than just primed in the bottom end, so while priming the oil pump you give the cranks several slow rotations to allow the oil to work its way to the rocker stands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the oil to the top end I went ahead and sealed up the valve covers and also got the belts installed. Also in the mix of all the work I threw a holley fast kit in a factory cfm rated 2300. Nick had included a 500 cfm 2300, but IMO was just a tad to much carb for the 304 so if anybody needs a clean, but probably in need of a rebuild 500 cfm holley2300 give me or Nick a shout.

[​IMG]

Shot of the drivelines all purdy and with fresh u-joints

[​IMG]

Out with the dash to make some room to work for the wiring install.

[​IMG]

Before I install the harness there are a few wires that can be terminated while sitting at a table vs. in the truck. All of the steering column, ignition, and headlight dimmer switch wires can be termated after getting an idea of how long they need to be. It is basically the first step to the install since it is the closest to the fuse pannel, and is just easier to solder sitting down vs. hunkered over in the vehicle.

Kit as it is shipped from IH only North.

[​IMG]

Fuse box. One cool feature to this kit is that it features a coil kill switch prewired to the fuse pannel. Kinda nice as a theft deterent, just remeber to switch it back on if you switch it off or she no starty.

[​IMG]

Doin work

[​IMG]

The kit also supplys plugs to use with new connectors to plug dirrectly into the GM column and the igniton switch.

New conector Soldered vs. crimped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Column plug

[​IMG]

ignition switch

[​IMG]

The dimmer switch and other varous connectors througout the rig are not supplied so after removing the olld connectors from the plastic clips new connectors are soldered then inserted into the factory plug.

[​IMG]

After all that you are left with this finished.

[​IMG]

but this much left.

[​IMG]

Thats all for now.

3. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Update time so Mr. Dillon can see where we stand. Got the T-case and Tranny filled with fluid. The brakes are bled, gas tank has been cleaned up and resealed ready to go back in with a new sending unit as the old one tested no bueno. Also am ready to start terminating wires.

Luckily when the tank was dropped it was empty, but it had been previously lined and it had started to break down, but after a lot of laquer, some tank etch and some new sealer, a couple coats of paint it is good as new. Some one had tried to rig up a sock filter for the pickup using a piece of ruber line. it was about to turn into mush.

[​IMG]

Hairdryer to help speed up the setup of the liner in between rolling the liner around.

[​IMG]

Also jerked out the vent/expansion can to replace all of the old lines as they were pretty much all cracked.

[​IMG]

New tank straps

[​IMG]

After a coulpe coats of paint and a new sender ready to go in.

[​IMG]

Dash wiring

[​IMG]

Tail section pulled through the frame

[​IMG]

Engine section. This will tidy up some more when I get it all the way dressed in , and everything terminated.

[​IMG]

Headlight section still needs some loom

[​IMG]

Gauge and column sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. Nichelob

Nichelob Farmall Cub

Good work, Levi!

So no more plastic firewall connector with the new wiring kit? 1 solid line from the dash to the alternator? Sounds good to me!

5. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Yep the kit kills the sometimes problematic bulkhead plugs. You will also be amazed with new conections and better grounds how much brighter the lights all around will be.

6. Nichelob

Nichelob Farmall Cub

Well that's definitely a major plus. When I bought the bomber from a guy in Raleigh, I was driving it back to Richmond in the dark when a very kind NC state trooper pulled me over to gently inform me that my headlights were dim. He asked for me to turn the truck off so he could re-evaluate their brightness. He was satisfied and let me go. As he was walking away, I turned the key only to hear the slow turn of the motor which obviously indicated a nearly dead battery. Surprised that the trooper made no change to his stride when he heard the all-too-familiar sound, I spoke just loud enough for the trooper so he could hear my inquiry on whether or not he had jumper cables. He politely advised me that he did not and informed me of a gas station at the next exit as he removed his hat, entered his squad car and proceeded up the road.

Luckily, my roommate was following me but was none too thrilled with our situation. We took the next exit in his car and found the gas station the trooper was referring to. It was closed. Amazingly, there was a flat bed truck parked at the station that had jumper cables laying directly on the bed. This fired the bomber up and we made it back to Richmond. :scout: I sure hope the trooper didn't call for help or a tow truck only to find that we had already left.

7. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Well hopefully with all the work that has gone into your rig we have not only fixed your charging issues, but the issue of being stuck on the side of the road period. :beer:

8. Nichelob

Nichelob Farmall Cub

[​IMG]

Breaking some skin?

9. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

No that was the crap drippin from the pick up filter when I pulled the old sender out, but that does happen here at the busted knuckle garage from time to time.:D I believe that is where the old sealer that was inthe tank had started to break down as it was red in color.

10. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Nice work Levi
    You sure do get a lot done.........Sure makes me jealous

The Blue Bomber is obviously in good hands

11. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Thanks Fred . I have made pretty good progress on it seeing as how I have only been at it for right at 3 months. Looking to take a test drive here pretty soon.:shifty:

12. Nichelob

Nichelob Farmall Cub

Easy killer!

13. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Don't worry I'll be easy on her :devil: for the first 5 feet. :D

14. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Been out of the country for the past 7 days for some R and R. After a quick trip to Houston, TX. to get my wifes passport renewed after she realized it was expired :the day before we were gonna fly out:, and changing flights, hotel res. and a bunch of other BS we got in 7 days at the beach in Cancun ,but 9 total away from home. Man it feels good to be in my own house!! I will be hitting it hard the rest of this week. Planning to start her up this coming weekend if all goes well. Plans to deliver the bomber to Charlotte during the Dixie show have been made provided all goes as planned.

15. Nichelob

Nichelob Farmall Cub

Glad you made it back safely :punk:

Now back to work!
    :whip:
    :wrench:

16. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

2 things
    1. Why did you have to come to Houston to fix a passport?:confused:

2. You came to Houston and you didn't let me buy you a beer:nono:

17. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Well Fred. My wife needed a passport ready the same day. Houston, Kentucky, Louisianna had one of the offices that could do it. Houston stayed open the latest making it seem more possible to get her done. We had free flights with southwest so that made up our minds. I honestly did mention to the wife that I needed to make a call and visit a scout buddy, and I got "the" look so that put a stop to that.

18. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Understood

We all know"THE LOOK":oops:

19. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

She is a runner!!! Not after a pretty major scare though. At the first startup I noticed a strange noise coming from the Pas. head that increased volume with RPM. Uh ooh..... First thought was a lifter not wanting to pump up, but the noise didn't really sound like a lifter. After checking a few things I came to the conclusion that a rocker arm was contacting the vavle cover for some reason or another. After pulling the valve cover and making sure the noise was gone while running I checked the rocker stand to make sure it was tight. It was. Everything looked good so I put the valve cover back on and ran it a bit more. Noise was back.....:hammer: So this morning I pulled it again all the way off and got to get a good look inside the tin , and there was a rub mark where one of the rocker arms over the number 8 cylinder was contacting. Also found an almost invisible dent in the tin in the same area. After some help with clearance from a trusty hammer the tin was put back on and presto no more nasty noise. Also managed to get the front end wired and all lit up.

Here is a pic of the tin were the rocker was contacting.

[​IMG]

Front end lit up

[​IMG]

One of the light bulbs I pulled out of the front. Never seen one with that much water in it.:confused:

[​IMG]

Overall of the engine comp.

[​IMG]

last but not least

[youtube]Wbj8CwWUS1k[/youtube]

20. Nichelob

Nichelob Farmall Cub

[​IMG]

And she seems to run smooth too!