Newb tuner questions

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by walkersscout, May 9, 2019.

1. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Still in the information gathering stage. It looks like Winaldl is the preferred method for logging data, is this still the case? As far as making changes to the chip I am a little lost, as things have changed quite a bit from the first post to the last in the tuning threads. Which method should I pursue for making my own chips that is effective for someone doing this for the first time, and is cost effective if you are only going to do two or three 7747 ecm reprograms? I dont want something cheap if it is difficult to use.

Last question is in regards to the VSS. I would like to add it to my harness. Is it as simple as running the two wires back to the ecm and done? Do I need to figure out what was done with the P/N switch wires? Also, the VSS itself. The 2ppr sensors are described as square wave DC sensors, but the 8 and 16 pulse are described as sine wave sensors. This makes very little sense to me. Am I going to pooch something by connecting an 8ppr vss to mine?

Thanks,

2. walkersscout

After reading some more here and various other sites, including Tunercat and Moates, it appear that using a Moates G1 adapter, a 27SF512 chip, and a Burn2 programmer may be the way to go. It is reasonably priced at $150, it is compatible with lots of tunerpro/cats/etc, doesnt require soldering, and comes with a ZIF socket (quick change adapter). Is there any reason this is not a good idea? Are there easier ways to do this?

3. walkersscout

All right, I heard nothing bad, so I went ahead and ordered it. Also ordered a data logging cable from Bill. Hopefully start making some headway in the next few weeks.

4. c5wagner

c5wagner Farmall Cub

Sorry this forum is not active enough for quick answers but if you do have the 1227747 ecm, you should have payed closer attention to this page: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...ll-chip-socket-replacement.49804/#post-293613 The moates G1 isn't for the 1227747 ecm, the G2 is. I'm personally not a fan of the moates burn2 myself as the chip burning range is limited to basically only the sst27sf512 chip (I now have a MCUMall GQ-4x4 that does any chip I could ever find including the factory chips). And for tuning multiple 1227747 ecms, I prefer to have one (tuning) ecm setup to take the 28 pin eeprom with a zif socket and have a UV eraser and spare 24 pin eproms to use in the stock plastic carriers when I have the tune dialed in. I also ditched the G2 as it is a very tall stack in the 7747 ecm and then really read bill's fine print for a far cheaper and in my opinion better option for a 28 pin adapter that you can still use the dust cover with.
    [​IMG]

Also, to show what the G1 is for, it is for ecms that use Memcals and have latches under the dust cover like the 16197427 ECM so TPI systems and 93-95 truck TBI with 4l60e/80e transmissions....
    [​IMG]
    And I ditched even this adapter for a better/cheaper option for tuning and use:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 1:32 PM
  5. walkersscout

Ill give them a call Monday morning. I went back and reread the product description, which doesnt show ecm numbers, and it has my year range, but says TPI, and right under it a different year range with TBI. Looks like I mentally butterfingered the abreviations.

I have read all the threads, but some of the information is almost 20 years old and has changed. By the time you finish reading your eyes are spinning. I hadnt thought of having an ecm just for tuning with a zif socket.