Newb to Binders

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Sozzy, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

We got some more wiring pulled out and took photos of routing. Pulled the steering wheel and installed the new ignition cylinder, which was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Noticed the turn signal cam was in rough shape so I sent the kid to Auto zone to get a replacement. They had to order it, but they can get it. Already ordered a new steering wheel (wood with Scout lettering). She also picked up a new blower motor. It was making some nasty noises so this is a good time to replace it.
    Also took apart the AC blower to check it out and clean it. Bearing feels better on that motor than the heater blower.
    Still have to remove the rear portion of the wiring going to the tail lights. Everything else is disconnected. Then the real fun begins....

2. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Meant to get going on the replacement of the wiring harness today... Wife first had me set her up with the sand blaster. We tried to make a bigger blast cabinet out of a tuffy bin and plexiglass. Worked ok, buy we just couldn't see what we were doing. She worked on one rim from her '64 f100 4x4.
    Got the kid to reinstall the AC blower and heating plenum after cleaning them up a bit. Those screws on the backside are a PITA to get, but her little hands worked better than my sausage fingers. I worked on the steering column bolt the previous owner must have cross threaded and actually found soot on the bottom of the cowl... Must have been a small dash fire at some point. Glad I decided to replace all the wiring....

Attached Files:

3. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Had some time this afternoon so I put together the guages into the new dash. Still have to wire them all, but I haven't even mounted the new fuse panel in the scout yet. Probably this weekend...

Attached Files:

supercrouton and MrKenmore like this.
  4. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Got home late last night and had a package waiting for me. New steering wheel and horn contact ring. Can't install until the turn signal switch and wiring arrives.
    Weather is supposed to be a little warmer but raining this weekend. Should make some good progress. Tonight we're going out to dinner for my wife's birthday, so not getting any work done today.

Attached Files:

5. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Got around to routing the new harness and mounted the fuse panel. Also installed the new heater blower. Had some other projects going on today so we didn't spend much time on the Scout. Planning on spending the day tomorrow doing as much as possible.

Attached Files:

6. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Headlight group is done. Need some weather pack connectors to replace the original ones that are really beat. The wife and kid got in on the soldering action.

Attached Files:

7. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Made progress today. Engine wiring nearly complete with new temp and oil pressure senders. Need to find a relay for the nuetral safety switch and finalize the alternator wiring. Not 100% on how the alternator is done.
    Then I installed the new turn signal switch and finished wiring it. Need to find out how to wire the rest of the column group.

Attached Files:

MrKenmore likes this.
  8. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Finished the headlight switch wiring, the dimmer switch, and the ignition switch plugs. Pretty tedious, but I'm getting into the groove. Also realized the connectors I bought online are much better than the gold ones that came with the wiring kit. The crimp much better.

Also have been helping my wife work on her 64 F100 Flareside 4x4... We had a time wrestling with some stubborn rear bumper bolts. She had to use her legs as well as a cheater bar...

Attached Files:

stroker3 and MrKenmore like this.
  9. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

I don't know, having things slip in the past.......that second pic ....well ..... definately a very high tolerance level for some risks.....:pinch:..:laugh:

10. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I actually told her I would never pull that cheater bar Like that because knowing my luck, the bolt would break and, well, you get the picture...

stroker3 likes this.
  11. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Got started on the guages bundle this morning... Got all the feed wires set up with rings. Need to decide on the best way to connect the power and grounds as well as power and grounds for the lights. How do I connect 5 or 6 wires into one single power wire or ground? Cut and splice 5 or 6 times? Is there a multi plug into one connector? I'd like for the connection to be able to be disconnected as well.

12. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

Lots of progress today. Mostly done with the guages wiring. Just need to wire the guages lights and ground everything.
    Then I figured I'm at a place where I need to get the TBI stuff installed before we reinstall the dash.
    Got the throttle body on, pretty sure I got the motor to TDC and swapped out the distributor. Mounted the ECU using Velcro. Got most of the connectors together. Swapped out the coil. Coil mount was crusty so I cleaned it up and painted it.

Attached Files:

13. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

We had some gorgeous 50 degree weather yesterday when I got home... Couldn't resist being outside. Opened up the shop and fiddled on the Scout some... Installed the new distributor cap and rotor, tried to mount the MAP sensor (need longer screws), and tried to get a pipe plug out of the intake manifold for the temp sensor on the TBI kit. I have to use the right, rear port as it is the only one available or accessible. Damn thing is tough to get at and get a good grip. My efforts were fruitless. Think I'll have to remove the engine lift hook mounted on the intake manifold to get a better bit on it. Wish they made square sockets....
    Decided to quit that before I got too pissed and broke something. Started to cut out the stock dash to fit the custom gauges. Didn't realize I'd have to do this when I ordered the gauges, but not a big deal. Still need some more cuts, but its an easy project.
    Running wiring to my shop this weekend, so not sure how much I'll get done on the scout, but it sure is going to be nice to have power, real lights, etc. We've been running everything off a single extension cord from the house or the generator when we needed the compressor or welder...

Attached Files:

14. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

No progress on the Scout, but got a trench dug. Wire being delivered Monday. I'll be able to use my lift by next weekend! Very fortuitous as I need to start working on the tail lights.

Attached Files:

TorqueMonster1 likes this.