New to me R-160 4X4

Discussion in 'Triple Diamond Trucks' started by sarookha, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

I finally took the plunge into the R-Series 4X4 world. Been looking and tempted when the R-140 and R-160 4X4's come up for sale, which isn't very often.
    upload_2018-12-1_20-40-40.png
    Here's the Craigslist photo from the PO.
    This one was bought new by a New Jersey fire department, serial number 802, and was very lightly used, with only 8600 original miles. Frankly I was skeptical about the mileage, but after seeing it in person, there is no way it has 108k on it. My R-130 has just over 100K on it now, and there is no comparison. I looked under the dash to see if it had vacuum or electric wipers, and it looked practically new under there. The interior is very good, floor perfect, excepting the sun visor which has shed its skin. The original bill of sale and registration is still sitting in the glove box, it's like a time capsule. Unfortunately, some of those 8600 miles must have been on salted roads, as the frame, winch, axles, springs etc are quite rusted.
    upload_2018-12-1_20-50-16.png

The Line Setting Tickets are both still there (top of glovebox, and pasted to the cab interior behind the passenger's side of the seat). Interesting details from the LST are, per firetruck duty, it has factory frame reinforcments, aka "Fish Plates", and increased capacity brakes. A big Tulsa 12G winch is mounted up front, also per the LST. I originally thought the rear axle's "SGL RED" meant single rear tires and painted red, but looking at it again I'm certain this means single reduction diffy. Just seems like an odd thing to have to mention, are there really 4X4 trucks with double reduction axles?

I was surprised on opening the hood to find a BG six and its T-98 tranny mounted. I didn't think to check whether it was a BG-241 or the BG-265. The BG was either rebuilt or very lightly used as well, as nearly all its paint is still there and in good condition. The oil pan has clearly suffered a collision with the big FA-50 front axle differential. Are the BG oil pans deeper than the standard issue SD-240 that the truck left the factory with?

Any thoughts or info on this truck are welcome!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

Beautiful truck. Congratulations. I don't know the answer to your oil pan question but I'm sure somebody will. Perhaps the 4x4 trucks had a special oil pan and your engine came from a 4x2 rig and they did not change out the pan??
    The data plate shows a 172" w.b. The photo is at an angle but just doesn't look that long? Has it been shortened or is it an optical illusion of the photo angle?

3. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

George, Thanks for the encouraging words! Optical illusion, it really is a 172" WB truck. I'm wondering what kind of off-road emergency called for driving this heavy truck so hard that the springs were compressed enough to crunch the oil pan into the front axle? Full compression (8") of the standard springs on the front of this beast requires 6,100lbs, or a really big ditch hit at maybe 20mph. I'm assuming that the springs were engineered such that, at their rated 8" full compression, the axle wasn't supposed to be hitting anything.

I'd love to remove the fish plates and set them aside, then shorten the frame (and set the cut-outs aside too) to accept the 9ft pickup bed I've got on my R-132. Since the R-132 is a dually, it already has the extra-wide fenders on the bed that they put on these big 4X4's. The then R-132 will get an SV-392, T-34 5-speed OD tranny, and a flatbed with a pintle hook and a gooseneck hitch so I can stop paying folks to haul trucks across the country for me. A Spicer/Brown-Lipe auxiliary would help for gear splitting while towing, because the T-34 tranny is notorious for having a huge gap between 3rd and 4th, making it hard to find a useful gear in hilly conditions. I've got all the parts on hand except the Brownie auxiliary and the flatbed. If I ever get started with that project, I'll start a build-thread...

Back to the fish plates: If I ever decide to return the R-160 4X4 to stock specs, I can weld the cut-outs back in, and re-attach the fish plates to reinforce (and cover up) the joints.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. George Yingst

George Yingst Farmall Cub

You are ambitious it seems.
    I know what you mean about shortening the truck. I have a 1600 4x4 lwb that I sometimes wish was shorter. Don't have the heart or ambition to cut it though. Logic would make it more capable off road that way, but who am I kidding. I don't really off road anything anymore. I'm sure I will eventually put it up for sale and let somebody else make it their own.
    I would not be surprised if the damage to your pan was from an unseen hole it the ground when it was going across a field or something. Hit it much harder than they thought and had to be a hell of a jar to the folks inside as well.
    Have fun.

5. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Dreams are free, getting there will take me a lot more time and money...

Erik Morton likes this.
  6. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Farmall Cub

That is a dream find! If it were mine I would definitely be going the 9' box route with it. I love the winch too, I wish I had that in the front of my S120.

sarookha likes this.
  7. urbex

urbex Binder Driver

Jealous..I wish my B-162 was 4x4, AND longer, lol. It has a 12 ft flat bed on it now, and I wish it was more like 20 foot.

8. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Urbex, As a hauler, I think your 2X4 B-162 is better suited than a B-160 4X4 would be. These old 4X4's sit really high! The 2X4 sits lots lower, has fewer parts to wear out, and has plenty of room for an auxiliary transmission if you need to split gears.

I don't think it would be too hard to lengthen your B-162, either. You might need an extra CV joint and another driveshaft support bearing or two, but really nothing complicated. Just the tedium of lengthening all the cables, wires, brake lines, and of course the driveshaft.

9. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Anyone know of a vehicle shipper that can handle a 1 1/2 ton 4X4? New York (Albany area) to East Texas?

10. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Carl, I'm guessing that in your location, there are some pretty sweet old trucks without too much rust damage on them? Anytime I'm in Colorado or New Mexico, I'm always amazed at how many old trucks are parked out by the barns or in the back corner of lots. Here in East-Texas, anything that sits for long goes to mold and rot, and you might find an oak tree growing up through the floorboards.

11. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Farmall Cub

We have a lot of nice old trucks around here but mostly Chevy's and Fords, Back in the 50's and 60's there was an IHC dealership about 80 miles north of here in southern Co. so a few made it down my way. People around here tend to hold onto their old iron but I was able to buy this one a few months back, a good running truck with only surface rust. I've been wanting an early International 4x4 for a long time!

IMG_1180.JPG

12. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Now that's a sweet truck! Perfect! And I agree, a winch up front would look great and would be a big help around the ranch. Make sure as you shop, that you choose a winch whose drive mechanism is on the same side as the PTO port on your transmission!

Carl Childers likes this.
  13. sarookha

sarookha Farmall Cub

Here's the Line Setting Ticket:
    upload_2018-12-7_15-33-1.png

I'm assuming that SGL RED REAR AXLE 6/16 translates as single reduction, 6.166/1 ratio, not as "painted red" as I originally thought :) I've corrected the original post accordingly. It's also interesting that the front axle isn't even mentioned on the LST. Good thing they remembered to put one on it!
    A PO painted it the current Adirondack Green, you can see the original Harvester Red #50 peeking out from behind the LST.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018