New Scoutco project vehicle...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Jul 24, 2009.

1. WesV

WesV Y-Block King

Did you decided that you wanted to go with the smaller fenders? I saw your ad looking for the C-10 fenders.

2. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

The bigger ones won't bolt to the frame directly, and the C-1 will.

3. WesV

WesV Y-Block King

Darn, I liked the look of the bigger fenders.

4. Mike Moore

Dad and I hit the shop for a couple hours tonight. We got most of the rivets cut out for some of the naaaaasty ol' stock parts...you know, the engine mounts and front crossmember. The Mustang II crossmember is supposed to be here tomorrow.:)

5. Robert JetFxr

Robert JetFxr High Wheeler

Dude your truck, I'm building a C1 with an IH motor and a 671 blower. I am also using a dropped straight axle. You can see the build thread over on the Pirate board. I have a great hood and side panels for a C1 also the fenders your looking for. I need a good set of doors from a 36 (with out wood) I have two sets of good doors but they have the wood interior making it harder to chop. I also have a couple grill shells and other junk. I have bought three C1s to get the best parts for my build. Give me a call if I can help you out 406-670-0995 Robert. By the way I used one of your OD shifter indicators in the 500 caddy/700r4 Scout I built, nice product.

6. Mike Moore

Thanks, Robert. I will for sure be calling you later on today. ;)

7. Mike Moore

UPS just showed up. :clap:
    Thursday night...I get to start ASSEMBLING something rather than tearing it all apart! :devil2:

8. Mike Moore

Gotta love new parts!
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Moore

After much thought, head scratching, and some persuasion from my dad...I've decided to build my own frame. I guess the reality set in that I'll really only be using the front 6' of the two rails from the original C frame, and after boxing, filling holes, etc, we decided I may as well build it from boxed tube and be done with it. I did a LOT of measuring tonight, and came up with a 2" ground clearance when the air is dumped. That looks like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the ground clearance looks good. Gotta put a bumper up front that dips down in the middle for crank clearance, though. I was hoping to be able to park with the running boards on the pavement, but 2" is tolerable. I do wish the roofline was a bit lower, but I keep trying to remind myself that it is a truck, after all.
    [​IMG]

While rollin' down the road, it raises only 3". That means the running boards are going to be at 5" while I'm rollin'. I was hoping for more lift, but...it is what it is. :) That wheel tucked under the front fender is just about 1" shorter than the tire/wheel combo that I plan to run...a 245/40-17. I hope to go a 275 or 285 out back.

the bed is gonna be taller than that...it's just a piece of cardboard I found laying around the shop. We won't need it for a paint mixing board again for a while, so it can play truck bed.

10. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

I was wondering why you were not just building your own frame. You are going to have to do so much work to an original to get what you are looking for, it wouldn't pay off in the end. In my opinion you need to duplicate the front one foot of the rails though. I don't know why, but with that grill and the exposed rails, it just makes it.

11. Mike Moore

It will be duplicated, only boxed. The way the frame dips down has to be the same shape, as the fenders lay on top of it.

12. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

:beer::clap::rockon:

Lookin' good Mike!

I agree, you'll be time and money ahead making your own frame rather than trying to box the old frame, fill in all the unused holes, adapt modern front and rear suspension, steering, etc.

I like the lines on your "bed side" :D maybe raise it up a few inches to match the body lines on the cab. Are you going to be building the bed from scratch, or have you been able to scrounge up some original bedsides/rear fenders?

13. Mike Moore

The bed will be scratch built. It will line up with the body line in the doors. I've got it set up at a 6' length right now and I like it.

14. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

So let me get this right Mike. Your building a custom rig basically from just a few body panels and your worried about the fenders bolting right on?:cornfused:

Just giving you a hard time. :D I would keep the fenders you have now though. I love the stance with them.

15. Mike Moore

lol

Honestly, I like the way the C-1 fenders look better. And I gotta leave SOMETHING on this thing that is still IH-specific. I may go with brand X rear fenders, but those fronts are way different from any other make's, and I like 'em.

And they fit the frame.:yes:

16. Robert JetFxr

Hey Mike here are a few pictures for you to look over. Boxing the old frame is not that big a deal, We ran conduit in mine to hide the wires in. Look at the front axle I used.

Attached Files:

17. Robert JetFxr

One more of the frame for you. And here are some of the pictures of the fenders see if you want them shipped. I looked them over today and they maybe more than you want to tackle.

Attached Files:

18. Mike Moore

The frame looks good, Robert...the fenders, not so much.:cornfused: They are bad! Let me keep on looking for something else, and if all else fails I'll let you know. Colin Rush may want the spare tire well parts from it, if you'd want to PM him.

I may be interested in the chassis/fenders that you and I talked about on the phone, however.;)

19. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Any updates Mike?

<Nudges Mike with a sharp stick>:D

20. Mike Moore

Spare time is spent on the Scout the past month or so. Nothing to update, except it makes a good shelf for Scout parts.:oops: