New Scoutco project vehicle...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Eddie

Eddie High Wheeler

So. What 'Wheel and Instruments ARE You Looking At?

Serious question, though...what style steering wheel and instruments are you planning to use?

A banjo or '40 Ford style 'wheel with Classic Instruments gauges (or similar) would work well with the body lines and age, or were you planning on using the OEM pieces?

I'm currently semi-regretting using the Grant "LeMans" sports car style 'wheel on my Scout, as the OEM '40 Ford style wheel has more of the "trucky" look, except that Scout's OEM 'wheel was w-a-a-a-y too big in diameter for a power steering 'wheel.

Eddie

2. jeff rotella

jeff rotella Binder Driver

I got rid of the plow bracket so I could get around it easier.

Maybe you should re think this one!
    We have 2 inches

Seriously, I do like the look of the truck with the plow frame
    [​IMG]

3. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Eddie, that's not real high on my priority list this week, lol. I guess if I had to choose, I'd say some gauges from Aurora. I might go with these:
    [​IMG]
    They also let you design your own gauge faces, so I may put the triple diamond on them and make them look stockish...only cooler.:yes: I really would like to get a quad set for the one gauge, and a speedo for the other, and leave it with two faces like the stock dash was, but we'll see what I can find when I get to that point.
    As for the steering wheel, I have no clue. I like my Grant in the Scout a lot, and it's the right size. I may go with another one of those.

Jeff, we got two feet of snow almost, and I made it okay with no plow on the '36.:D I loooooooooooooove the grille on these trucks, and I can't stand to cover it up. It's my favorite part of them.:punk: Tonight I played around in the shop, and mostly cleaned guns.:gunsmilie: While I was waiting for the Wipe Out bore cleaner to do it's work, I decided to try my hand at straightening the trim on the grille. About an hour and a half with hammers, dollies, sandbags, chisels, screwdrivers, putty knives, wooden dowels shaped to fit where needed, etc, and I think it came out pretty good, considering what I started with...still ain't tacklin' that mangled top piece, though:censored:.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

4. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I dont think you are kidding, I think you have been caught being serious,..and what little Triple Diamond conscience you have left overcame you for a bit,.. I spit up in my mouth a little,...:no::no::no::confused:

5. Mike Moore

I ended up stumbling over a local guy who was cleaning out his father-in-law's garage after he passed away, finding some old '35 IH parts. Imagine my shock! So I met him in the garage today, and acquired a few new pieces.

-Left front fender, rough shape.
    -Left door, GREAT shape!
    -3 spoke wheels, rough, but will make cool garage art.
    -Short hood, very rough, but good emblems.
    -One commercial (big) headlight, with the other coming once they find it again.
    -One tail light.
    -Dented up grille, complete with shell, trim, radiator, and emblem. The top trim piece I need is dern near perfect.:punk:

They are supposed to have the other headlight, and she's seen the title recently, so I will get it if she can find it again, too. It was a panel truck that was owned locally and *gulp* crushed in the 80's. I'd give one good arm for a C panel, but this one got away.:oops: Still a good haul for the day, though. Any time I can find 75 year old IH tin in my back yard, it's a good day.:yes:

6. jeff rotella

Hi Mike
    If you are thnking of using original type tail lights I have a bunch of random generic lights in the barn (NOS).
    I think we may be tied for snow this year.

7. Mike Moore

We got another couple inches of snow the end of last week, but nothing too major after the big one!

I'm not going to be doing anything stock with the tail lights on this one. I appreciate the offer, and if dad needs anything for one of his big truck IH projects, I may hit you up for something. Is there much big stuff in your collection of parts, or is it mostly light line stuff?

8. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Very cool! :punk:

I like it:beer:

9. jeff rotella

The lights are big truck stuff. I have things like: 3 bar lights on the cab, front fender turn signals ,7" stop lights, arrow turn signals. They are all aftermarket brands. (I think most big trucks from that era used them.)
    When the Oshkosh dealer was bought out , they had a lot of neat old stuff left. I got a lot of it for cheap. (20 years ago).
    Most of my IH stuff is for Scouts, Some p/u .
    I have a bunch of B model Mack parts. Most of what is left are hard parts you really have to know your stuff to identify. (same goes for about 1/2 of the IH parts)
    I think by Monday AM we will be at about four feet of snow.
    We are pretty much shutdown for 2 weeks around the holidays. Tomorrow it's back to reality.

10. Mike Moore

I went this weekend and picked up a C-1 chassis to use as the basis for the truck. I hope to get in the shop Thursday night to slap a few pieces onto it and make a little progress.

11. Mike Moore

With the new frame under it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front end with an altitude adjustment:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, with all the altitude corrected:
    [​IMG]

12. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

That just looks so Bad ***.... This thing is gonna be awesome. :punk:

13. Mike Moore

Better pics taken with a real camera in the daylight...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even mocked up a 5-1/2' bed on it. I like it this length, but may still go with 6'.
    [​IMG]

I'm about to order my Mustang II front suspension crossmember so I can get it welded in, then position the engine to clear everything. The frame has some rust under the drivers seat area, so I will likely fabricate a new set of rails from there back...and if I can find an airbag setup for it, I'm probably going to use a C4 Corvette independent rear suspension we already have...while I'm making stuff from scratch anyway.:yes:

A biiiiiig part of me wants to leave the patina and rust alone, and have a 4 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel disc, 450hp cruiser that looks just like these pics...but I know I wouldn't be happy long-term. It'd be a NASTY sleeper, though.;)

14. Tollas3

Tollas3 Farmall Cub

HOLLY SMOKES!!!!! That truck is prolly the second coolest thing I've ever seen. Post lots of pics Mike.
    Thanks Kyle.:4x4:

15. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

Mike, sport it for a few months with the old patina. Then transition it to the clean ride you want. I love that truck. I hope it don't end up parked beside the other two projects.:oops:Just a little sucker punch.

BTW...Thanks for the mints!:D

16. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

I am also a fan of Scoutco mints.

17. jeff rotella

Me three

18. Mike Moore

So am I...but I gotta share. I have too many of them. Jeff, I think we forgot to pack some in with the tubing I sent...so you may be disappointed.:oops:

19. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

:punk::rockon:

That is going to be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

+1 I'd rock the rust patina rat rod look for awhile and make sure everything is how you want it before you go crazy with metallic gold metal flake and flames and skulls:beer:

20. Mike Moore

I was just looking around online for the brackets that I can use to mount the Corvette rear suspension...and folks out there are mounting Corvette front AND rear suspension into stuff. Hmmmm...wonder what my chances are of being able to get the front geometry all correct...:cornfused: