New Scoutco project vehicle...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

If you are a purist, you may as well click the little "back" button on your browser now, and save shedding some big ol' crocodile tears right now. :yes:
    I picked up 2 1936 trucks a couple weeks ago. One is a C-30 and the other is a C-40. Both are currently configured as dump trucks, but not for long. We went up to look and strike a deal, and found them like this:
    [​IMG]

We made the deal, and went back up the following Saturday and picked them up. The owner had pulled them out of the weeds, and they were worse then we'd originally thought, but still okay for what we paid, I think.
    [​IMG]

So, we loaded them up and headed for home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic to show a general size of them, parked here at home beside a 2001 Yukon:
    [​IMG]

They aren't real big. The plan with these is going to be to build what I want, and to heck with everyone else.:tt2: I'm gonna build a bed for it, and make a pick-up out of the two. The cab and stuff is the same on these as the pick-ups are (one hood is longer, though). I've got a 400+hp 350 SBC engine and a full manual reverse valve body 700r4 here for it (OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!:yes:), and I have an S10 chassis that I may use the front suspension from, if it works width-wise. I'm going to chop 3-4" out of the top, and lower it down as close to the weeds as I can get it with the fenders still on.

The paint colors and little stuff keeps changing in my head, but I think I'm gonna go with gloss black all over, with a simple orange pinstripe and orange wheels with chrome triple diamond baby moons on it. The black paint is just to prove to myself that I can do it...these suckers are RUSTY.
    [​IMG]

I want to prove that I can get the pitted up sheet metal to look good under unforgiving black paint.:rockon:

So, the build will be a looong one, I'l afraid, but I will document it here in this thread.
    More pics here for those interested.

2. rhouser30

rhouser30 Binder Driver

those are sweet!! cant wait for more!

3. Mike Moore

Me either! I bummed up my thumb polishing the grill on one the first night I worked on them, and I'm still "in recovery". So far I've worked about 5 hours on them...got the interiors cleaned out and tossed a bunch of stuff, and pulled the grill off one and both hoods. Then I pulled the grill apart and started polishing the brightwork. Bam...out of commision for a few weeks.:taz::no:

Next step is to get a cab pulled off and get out the sawzall:yes:. This is where purists cry...stay tuned!;)

4. BayDog1

BayDog1 Farmall Cub

After seeing nothing but Fords and Chevys in the magazines, it will be nice to finally see someone do a chop on a Binder! Good luck and I'll be watching..
    BayDog1

5. Socha's75Scout

Socha's75Scout Farmall Cub

Great trucks Mike, I'll be watching.....

6. rhouser30

rhouser30 Binder Driver

Hey Mike, can u post up some interior pics? is it possible to make two rigs or is one too far gone?

7. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

I guess you guys don't need that Model 43(?) anymore.........:whistling:

8. Mike Moore

Stu, it's a 63...and I think we'd better hang onto it for a while.;) Seriously, you'll be the first call...but don't wait by the phone.:tt2:

Rick, one's pretty toasty. I'm gonna try to make the pick-up from one, and do something else with the other, but the cab on the C40 is pretty bad, along with the hood sides, and the fenders, and , and...:no: I don't konw what I'll end up having to use.

9. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

Cool project. I'm sorry to hear that the model 40 hood is bad, try to save it. The longer hood would go well with a chopped top.

Are the 1936 cabs built with steel structure? I believe that there was a change from wood structure somewhere around 35 or 36. I've seen a couple of 1934 (?) trucks where the wood has rotted out and the sheet steel cab panels are detached.

Russ

10. Mike Moore

The long hood is in my plan, if it's savable. I think the stretched hood, dropped top would look killer, too. I'm gonna try! The bottom edge is rusted out on it, but I think the louvers are saveable...so I can just replace the bottom flat area I hope.

The '36, and the first couple months in '37 (after that they made D's in place of C's) were all metal doors, but the cab framework is still wood. The C-30's wood here is in suprisingly good shape, and the C-40's is in so-so shape. I plan to remove all the wood and tak weld in a 1" or 1.5" square steel frame to replace it.

11. Mike Moore

I pulled in the C-30 today and worked on it for a while with dad's help. We got the cab almost ready to pull off. Column dropped, doors pulled, windshield glass out, floors out, seat out, etc, etc. I'm gonna try to round up a posse tonight to come help me tomorrow evening and get the cab off the frame. Then it'll be time to get out the sawzall...:rockon:

12. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

Those are some cool rides Mike. Can't wait to see what they become. :punk:

13. Mike Moore

I got in about 7 hours of work on IH junque today, and boy did it feel GOOD!:punk:

I arrived this morning to pick up where I left off yesterday:
    [​IMG]

I got rid of the plow bracket so I could get around it easier.
    [​IMG]

You thought your Scout had bad rockers?
    [​IMG]

This one's completely gone! They both looked like this after the Shop-Vac got ahold of them.
    [​IMG]

14. Mike Moore

So I rooted around inside and got to work cleaning up and pulling some stuff like the fuel tank, etc. The door jams and cab framework are wood, and in decent shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the cab ready to pull off.
    [​IMG]

Pulled the fenders and running boards.
    [​IMG]

And moved the carcass outside, again.
    [​IMG]

15. Mike Moore

And the fruits of my labor, after an almost proper altitude adjustment:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is to remove some unwanted height. The tape line is where the top of the windshield frame will reside after a 3-1/2" chop:yes::
    [​IMG]

16. Mike Moore

Random stuff...

The PO ran this truck for nearly 30 years!
    [​IMG]

And he used it hard, too. Note the dinged up roof, and the asphalt all over the rear panel. This is after a pressure washing:
    [​IMG]

Soembody asked for interior pics. It was funtion before form, I'm afraid. Not too many creature comforts in a 1936 truck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mike Moore

And lastly, I figured I'd share dad's projects with you guys, too. I'm mooching a little shop space for the tear-down of my C's.;)

1965 B-75 Mack that he built about 20 years ago. It's gone way downhill, and needs redone, again.
    [​IMG]

1978 W900A Kenworth with 1000hp twin turbo Cummins, stretched hood, etc. This will be a chopped top, suicide door'ed "street rod" truck when my brother and I get time to work on it.
    [​IMG]

And the IH stuff:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The man's got more projects than he'll live to finish. At least I get it honest!:yes::D

18. Mike Moore

Oh...7 hours also included buffing half of my Scout, and putting a coat of wax on that half, too. It didn't take 7 hours to pull the cab and fenders.:D

19. Socha's75Scout

Socha's75Scout Farmall Cub

20. Mike Moore

Very $$$$$$$:no: