New project..."Cali" / "Rerun"

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Well, we have a semi-local guy who has had his '79 Scout II for a long, long time, and has cared for it like a child all the way. He's had it redone by an IH shop (no longer in business) a few years ago, and it looks really nice. Unfortunately, it's skin deep. The rockers were plated poorly, floors patched haphazardly, etc. They put fiberglass fenders, windshield frame, top, quarters, tailgate, and liftgate on it. It creaks, cracks, squeaks, rattles...and it is generally a mess. When it left that shop "finished", he ended up immediately having a local shop work on it to make the fit and finish tolerable, and repaint it entirely. It now needs redone again, since the fiberglass parts are all cracking and separating on it, along with (possibly partially due to) the poorly repaired metal structure underneath.:oops:

So, we named this one "Rerun"!:D Rerun was fixin' to be a high dollar project if we were to replace the bed floor, all three braces back there, the inner fenderwells in the back, at least patch both inner quarters, replace both #3 mounts, the front floors, rockers, braces, and #2 mounts...it was not going to be a cheap endeavor! The donor search began! He just had the engine rebuilt, and the transmission is fairly fresh on it, so we were looking for a body. Hooray for the BP classisfieds! We found a donor in California, so a certified check was sent, and a transport company was contacted for moving it across the country. So this Scout is dubbed "Cali". Cali will become a parts/tub donor for Rerun, and will be a fart in the wind as far as it's tenure here is concerned...but a running Scout deserves a title, don't you think?:yes:

Cali arrived this morning at about 10am.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By 2:30pm we were looking at this:
    [​IMG]

It's going to end up needing floors, rockers, #2 mount on at least one side, etc. The body man is going to hate us, too. It's full of little dents and dings all over. Not exactly what we were hoping to start this project with, but it is what we have!
    [​IMG]

Here's a video of the better of the two sides:
    [​IMG]

Still a decent, solid start...but going to need more than we'd anticipated.:no:

Stay tuned...eventually this one will be combining the reworked, all steel body of Cali, with the reworked chassis and running gear from Rerun. The Scout is driven daily by it's owner, and he takes regular trips in it, too. Once a year he goes fishing in Montana and this is how he gets there! Pretty cool stuff, and he deserves a good Scout to do it with, and we aim to get that to him.:yes:

2. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Any updates?

3. Mike Moore

I've been keeping Facebook more updated than here. I gotta do an update to the thread, though...maybe tonight after hours. Thanks for the nudge!

4. Mike Moore

Well, here we go:
    The next day, we got the tub off, and got the left floor removed from the tub.
    [​IMG]

We blew out the rockers (Click this one...it's a video!):
    [​IMG]

Drained the gas tank, and flipped it over:
    [​IMG]

This is factory shiny paint on the original outer rocker panel. I've never seen this anomaly before, being from the east...and was a little shocked that Scouts still exist like this:
    [​IMG]

#2 mount:
    [​IMG]

5. Mike Moore

After some scraping, all the mounts and braces look really good on it, so we decided to pull the floor pans off and leave the rest. I plasma'd the floors out between the braces:
    [​IMG]

Then went back with the air hammer and cleaned the remaining floor strips off the braces themselves:
    [​IMG]

I now have the front and rear edges done, but didn't take a picture of that yet. The rust along the top of the rocker will be blasted and prepped, then the new floors that are on order will be put down. There will have to be a little bit of repair done to the bottom edge of the kick panels on each side, but otherwise the rust will then be taken care of. Then we need to pull the quarters off for replacement, and it's on to the paint shop with the tub. The rest of the sheetmetal has already made the trip for some dent removal and rough finishing while we get the tub itself ready:
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, the chassis was another story. The customer had several plans going on, but had decided to use this frame, and swap his axles and drivetrain into it after cleaning and either painting or powdercoating it. We started cleaning and found this:
    [​IMG]

That's the front spring hanger for the rear suspension. It's been moved back a couple inches! Evidently, someone put shorter leaf springs on the rear of this Scout at some point, and moved the hangers back on it! :cornfused::taz: With the rough job cutting and moving, and the fact that they cut the body mount half off in the process, the customer decided to back off from using this frame and reuse his existing frame again. Tomorrow we go get his Scout that he has started to strip down, and we'll have the chassis here to begin working on.

Overall, having just started this project, it has had it's share of setbacks, but should still be a quick turnaround! It's a frame-off, but it doesn't entail any of the head-scratching and engineering/fabrication like the previous one did. This one is more or less just taking it apart, cleaning it, painting it, and reassembling it. It's a breeze compared to the maroon one we just finished!:yes:

6. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

I don't do Facebook, so I wouldn't know.

7. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

:stupid: - me neither.

8. Anthony Weigant

Anthony Weigant Farmall Cub

Man, I thought i was the only holdout.

Glad to see there are a few like me left in this world.

Speaking of which, Mike, here's a bumper sticker idea for ya.

"Reality TV is not real, "

"Social Media is not Social"

Now that it's on the interwebs, you have to say it was my idea.....:D

Hijack off, carry on!

9. Mike Moore

We got the Scout here that needs the work...It looks GOOD, until you look close at it, or look underneath.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're working on getting the tub ready to pull from it right now. May not happen until Monday, but we're working at it. The current plan, again, is to use the chassis from under the green Scout, with the repaired body from the brown one. Cadillac "Diamond Pearl White" paint goes on it this time.

10. Mike Moore

I assume that this is the paint we're talking about. I've never seen it, to my knowledge. I snagged the picture from Google.
    [​IMG]

11. dkterra

dkterra Binder Driver

Why not put some Lambo doors on that puppy? :D

Attached Files:

12. Mike Moore

I imagine we'll pass on that...:no:

13. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

Cant wait to see this one come together.

JJ in TN

14. Mike Moore

Thanks, JJ! This one should go fairly quickly for us.

We also just acquired an Arizona Scout to start another project alongside this one! We have to get the shipping figured out, then we'll get to looking for that GM 6.0 powertrain...:clap:

15. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Now you are speaking my language Mr. Moore! :punk:

16. Mike Moore

Me too, Jason! Me, too!:yes:

17. Scott H

Scott H Binder Driver

Me too:censored:, and don't see it any time in this life. I'm tracked enough just using my debit card! This forum is were some of us live between work then dinner and garage time, please keep us few updated!!:D
    Scott

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  18. Mike Moore

Here is a little bit of why we're starting with a better body.

Inner rocker:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main floor brace:
    [​IMG]

#2 mount:
    [​IMG]

Inner rocker:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear wheelwell:
    [​IMG]

Inner-to-outer rocker joint:
    [​IMG]

19. Mike Moore

And here is some handywork of the previous Scout shop :no: :

[​IMG]

It is repairable, but it's going to be cheaper for him to rebody it than to repair what he has. As said before, most of the body is fiberglass on this one...and what isn't is rust. The owner wants NO fiberglass in it this time. He is way less than impressed with the fiberglass stuff, to say the least. That is where "Cali" came in. All metal, few rust repairs needed...equals money saved!:yes:

20. Mike Moore

Past due update...

We have installed new floors, patched the tunnel area and doglegs, cleaned, descaled, etc, etc. Not a whole pile of man hours in it, but we've been working a little here and a little there, with other smaller projects in and out alongside this one. And hunting season got in there, too.;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]