New member and new truck.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Joseph1200, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Joseph1200

Joseph1200 Farmall Cub

I picked up a 1968 1200 4wd today. I’m wondering how “rare” it is. It’s a 345 four speed truck. It has the deluxe emblem on the dash and gold custom emblem on the passenger side door. It has a/c and power brakes and tool box in the drivers bed side. I am also curious, is the spare tire carrier a factory set up? It runs, in the process of converting it to electronic ignition, rebuilding the carb and tuning it. Will post as progress continues!

Attached Files:

Idlon, Gringo Gomez and Gunfighter97 like this.
  2. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Binder Driver

Rarity isn't really relevant to the vehicle itself, as IH never really had a base model. This is a gross generalization and there are exceptions, but it could be said these trucks were rarely exactly identical to each other, as they were all made to order. Certain features or combinations there of are less common relatively speaking. For example, for 1965 (one I know off hand) 2wd production in the 1100 model dwarfed the 4x4 production number, and among those 4x4s, the more extra add-ons are on the LST, the more so relatively "rare" it becomes. Or at least that's the logic I've come to use.
    For info sake here, start by locating your LST (line setting ticket) wich if missing can be recovered at any light line dealer website using the truck's vin. That will give you a complete list of what made up the truck originally, and others here may ve able to point out certain "rarities". As for deluxe, I've heard of it before, but am uncertain of what it means as to differences in the vehicle or how common/rare it is. On the spare carrier, never seen one mounted there before, but with IH anything is possible. It may be a PO addition.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

kevingweq and stroker3 like this.
  3. Joseph1200

Joseph1200 Farmall Cub

T
    hanks for the reply. As for the custom emblem I have seen it before on these truck, just wasn’t sure if it was a specific “model”. I need to find the lst as you said to find specifics. My main curiosity when it comes to “rarity” is how often are the found with power brakes and a/c. I’m thinking that the spare mount is factory, it seems that the paint on it matches the rest of the trucks paint/patina. I grew up in a 68 2wd just like it. I have had internationals previously but this is the newest one to me.

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  4. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Your's looks/sounds like a pretty high end model. With IH it's pretty hard to say what custom or deluxe might mean item by item but the custom tag basically means some of the interior items are upgraded. We had a bare bones 241 six cylinder t'all with the custom tag. Only extras it had over a base model was better seats, artic heater and the BW auto. It didn't even have the padded door inserts. Kinda believe the custom tag has very little per item meaning beyond identifying the vehicle as being somewhere beyond a base model.

Someone else would have to chime in on the deluxe end. Unsure if that was a pickup or 4x4 thing or not. The 2wd 68 we had which was much like yours with pretty much everything on it ( except PB) including the exterior chrome trim, tinted glass, v8, auto etc. but it didn't have the deluxe wording on the glovebox as far as I remember.

kevingweq likes this.
  5. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

stroker3 likes this.
  6. Don B

Don B Binder Driver

Wow, this is a super awesome collection.

Thanks!

7. Joseph1200

Joseph1200 Farmall Cub

Wow, thanks for the info guys! This one also has the exterior trim. I’m still looking for the lst. Coming from the Amc world I know all about random/wacky things and trims haha.

8. sdhachey

sdhachey Binder Driver

Saw this one for sale on CL somewhere in OR. Is that where the truck is now? A well optioned truck like that is worth trying to save. If not intending to drive it much, you'd be fine with old-fashioned points/condenser. I don't believe the spare tire carrier was a factory set up as it appears to be dangerous and plain weird; should be on the inside of the bed or underslung behind the rear bumper. Enjoy, and this site offers some pretty good information and assistance.

9. Joseph1200

Joseph1200 Farmall Cub

I bought it here in Oregon. Planning on the Petronix kit as I’ve used it before on other projects and liked the results. The spare tire carrier is funky for sure. It’s welded directly to the frame with some large round tube stock, very heavy and industrial haha. I’m going to be slowly saving/driving it. Over time it will be restored to stock, not much rust thankfully but plenty of body work to do!

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  10. Idlon

Idlon Farmall Cub

Cool truck! This could be the younger brother of mine.. :)

11. sdhachey

sdhachey Binder Driver

Some of the Pertronix units (like series 2) require full 12 volts supply for best performance (read the directions). Original ignition was resisted back to about 8.5 volts through a crazy long resistor wire, so you'll probably need to bypass that with a new wire and confirm incoming voltage. Example of the type of info you can find here. I own a similar truck, under dash a/c, ps/pb etc. but it has east coast rust problems where swapping in a new cab might make more sense than fixing rust. Trying to find one but it has been a challenge.
    1968_IH_1200s_SDH.jpg

Gunfighter97 likes this.
  12. BajaIH

BajaIH Farmall Cub

I have a 68 1200C 4x4 also. Love the truck except for the drum brakes. I don't have the power brake option. That would be nice. Bought it in Utah and drove it here to San Diego. Plan on swapping out with Chevy axles (14 Bolt rear & DANA 44 disc 8 lug front). I have both axles now. Parts for the IH DANA axles (such as drums) are hard to find and I wan't disc up front.

As for the spare tire carrier, my mount is on the inside of the bed on the drivers side (forward of the wheel well).

My truck has the 304, which in 68 is listed to have more HP/Torque that the 345 in my 76 Scout II. It feel like to too, but that may be the difference between 4:10 and 3:45 gearing.

I have not considered upgrading to electronic ignition. Haven't had any issues with the original set up.

Have fun with your truck. Looks like a great project to have!

13. Joseph1200

Joseph1200 Farmall Cub

I have the Dana 44 and 14 bolt swap done, mainly for better brakes and ease of parts. I think it’s worth it. Came out of a 85 Chevy truck, pretty straight forward swap.

14. Joseph1200

Joseph1200 Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info on the ignition swap info. I’m leaning more towards keeping the points for the time being. I have the normal cowl rust and floor but I’m sure nowhere as bad as back east! Good luck with yours, there definitely worth saving!

15. kdsmit

kdsmit Binder Driver

Nice truck! Don't be shy with the camera. we all like to see "LOTS" of pictures!

Gunfighter97 likes this.