New Legend Scout

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Mark Aycock, Nov 29, 2017.

1. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

The ride was very rough for the street for my tastes. Every bump in the street was like I was trekking the Rubicon. I do acknowledge of course that not much can be expected from a solid front axle vehicle. My 2017 Ram 1500 is a dream by comparison (IFS). My JKU was bone stock FYI. Had it for 7 years. I had the gutless 3.8L V6 so that didn't help either. What a complete dog.

My Scout will do 70 MPH no problem. Again, bone stock suspension and stock tire size.

2. stavn

stavn Farmall Cub

The good part about this type of build is- crumple zones front and rear- roll cage- three point seatbelts- and the steering column won’t gig me anymore.

On my way back from Iowa I blew by another Scout 80 on a trailer going 85mph - about broke that guys neck as he was trying to figure out what just happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Mark, you thinking about DIYing a JK frame or writing a check to Sean?

4. Ron A

Ron A Binder Driver

Awesome build. Glad you shared it.

5. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Maybe DIY. I just finished a welding class. Don't know if I could pull it off though.

6. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Nice thing is that the JK/JKU started in 2007 so I bet it's easy to get donors at a fair price.

7. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Would you get a JK and lengthen the frame or a JKU and shorten the frame?

8. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Are the frames the same other than length? If so I would buy the cheapest I could find, but shortening is easier than lengthening.
    The more I think about this the less appealing it is to me.

9. Ron A

Ron A Binder Driver

10. theloneduck

theloneduck Farmall Cub

Kinda what I was wondering. I know where there is a 800 body available and would be interesting to mount to a Jeep chassis and drive train.

11. George Womack

George Womack High Wheeler

Notice that everyone has ignored your wild ravings? Haha. :)

Darrel likes this.
  12. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Haha. Yes, always a controversial topic. FWIW, I went from Auto to Manual and back to Auto. The control with an Auto and double low is unbelievable.

13. stroker3

stroker3 Y-Block King

Sorry to add to the slide off topic again but I love how he's makes it sound like 23 years is more than enough time to be 100% fossil free in regards to vehicles. When most newer cars having a 15 - 20 year lifespan, these alternative vehicles would have to be well on there way to be mainstreamed with a infrastructure plan that's ready to at least partially support it within the next 3-5 years. Realisticly they will need to have that plan put into action and at least partially phased in by 2025 with safe and reliable vehicles and a support system that would have fairly decent coverage in that entire state which would be pretty much the same as expecting most of the east coast to pull off the same. They would have to ban the sale of all fossil fueled vehicles several years before 2040 (probably by 2030 ) in order to phase out all the gas/ diesel powered vehicles in a state as large as Ca without causing problems with consumers and shortages in supply. Starting anything further out in time , would produce problems with the number of perfectly good cars being absolutely worthless there. Which reminds me, wonder how many people who cashed in on that cash for clunkers thing a few years back , (grabbing tax money for buying a fuel effecient vehicle by having perfectly good vehicles scrapped due to 'poor' fuel consumption, ) are now back behind the wheel of pickups and 4x4 family trucksters.

14. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Barring a catastrophic engine failure, I'd feel comfortable driving the Scout anywhere. On back roads, of course.

MrKenmore likes this.
  15. Shannon

Shannon Farmall Cub

I really like their stuff - particulalry the custom roll cages, bumpers and integration of modern drivetrains eg cummins diesel and Jeep JK running gear underneath the 800. Within the last two years, I've purchased two Scout 800s (67,69) one with a four speed transmission, both 4 cyliunder - I've been finishing a 71 C10 frame off project (completed this summer) and looking to start this build but new to the Scout World albeit very excited to put together a build sheet and get cranking in the garage.

Any advice - what's the shady tree mechanic's 'best build' sheet look like?

16. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Suspension: Custom Deaver or Alcan soft ride leaf springs, Bilstein or Fox rebuildable/tunable shocks, Reverse Shackle, Cut & Turn on your front axle, DOM tube drag link and tie rods, front & rear sway bars, rebuilt Scout II steering box from a custom shop not Napa, Borgeson steering shaft joints. More than 4" of suspension lift and you'll need flat top knuckles and high steer. New ball joints, polyurethane body bushings, wheel bearings. Smaller diameter steering wheel. Do that and you can cruise one handed 95mph while drinking your Latte and watching Harry Potter.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Shannon and Mark Aycock like this.
  17. Ron A

Ron A Binder Driver

Good recipe Darrel. Only problem is going 95 mph puts many of us over 4000 rpms. If 727s and T-18s had an overdrive, there would not be as much need for modernization. My Scout is perfectly suited to the old Jimmy Carter speed limit.

Darrel and Mark Aycock like this.
  18. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Ok, but stay out of the left lane please. :D

Cadillac's back in the day didn't have OD either. Highway gears and boat loads of torque.