New Here, Thinking About Buying a 1310

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by Chris Cooper, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

A buddy of mine bought this years back for a fire truck, moved to town, and has no use for it. I’ve loved it since he got it, and thought it might make a go-anywhere RV with the addition of a pop-up truck camper in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s got a 304 with a leaky rear main, 4.88’s, a disconnected gas tank, and missing headliner and passenger-side door interior panel. It also has small rust holes at each corner of the windshield.

Before I commit to the RV idea, I’ve got some questions:

1. What’s the cruising speed of this truck? I have a Jeep M715 & one 50-mph truck is enough.

2. Obviously, a 304 is not going to be a powerhouse, but can this truck get around the mountains ok? I’m sure it would do fine off-road, but would it be super slow up mountain highways with a 1500-lb camper? See above for motivation.

3. How is parts availability?

4. I’m assuming gas mileage is atrocious?

That’s about it so far.

Thanks for any help.

2. stroker3

stroker3 Y-Block King

Speed depends on the transmission. Guessing that one would be on the slower side. My 1310 dually had the 304 / 4 speed/4.88's . It was a 55- 60 mph truck. Not a cruiser but pulled hills with a loads just fine.
    For a lot of highway driving, a five speed would be so much better. With a good running engine, 12 mpg would be a fair guess.

3. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

I really don’t know what it has for a gearbox, other than it’s a four-speed. 60 is at the low end of my requirement, so I’ll have to mull that one over.

Thank you for the info.

4. BinderLite

BinderLite Farmall Cub

Just a thought: If you decide not to buy it...and your buddy still wants to sell...I might be interested.

5. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

Ok, but one thing at a time: I'm still trying to get a feel for this truck so I know better whether I want it.

6. BinderLite

BinderLite Farmall Cub

No worries...just planting a seed. Looks like a nice rig...depending on the price and what your goals are...I think you should take the plunge! :oldih:

7. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

Thank you! I just gotta get feel for how fast (or slow), how noisy, how compatible this truck might be with hauling a camper around, and actually enjoying the experience.

8. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

Sounds like your biggest problem is top speed. Overdrive will help but...
    A swap to more common better geared axles will be better. Mainly because of brakes. You're kind of stuck with the drums which can be rebuilt but the drums themselves are scarce.

Mechanical parts aren't too hard to find but body and interior are good used where you find it.

Pulling power and load capacity are non issue. The 304 was used in tandem axle dumps.

9. stroker3

stroker3 Y-Block King

Not sure what the asking price is but those 1310 dually's are a trucks truck. It was built to work. IH guys would drive that thing on long highway trips and put up with the noise and low gearing because they understand it was built as a work horse. If you're going to do some sort of remote camping, hunting etc. within 100 miles or so that'll be the rig for you and you'd learn to love all the quirks that go with these old trucks on today's highways. If you're planning on mostly comfortable highway runs to far away campgrounds, it's not the truck for you. It sounds like you would need to upgrade the driveline and a few other things to be happy with it. By then, with the extra time and expense, you could probably find a much more common or "modern" truck , a used F350 dually or something similar, that'll cruise at 75 mph a lot easier than that old IH ever could.

Either way, that thing is cool . It'll make someone a very nice old truck.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  10. BinderLite

BinderLite Farmall Cub

Did you pull the trigger?

:gunsmilie: