New gas cans: ***?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by gpa, Oct 22, 2011.

1. gpa

gpa Binder Driver

So what the h&ll is with the new gas cans???

Must have been some untrained wiper of people's bottoms that came up with the new spouts.
    They suck & they are no more safe because you have to remove the cap and use a funnel
    to pour the gas.

So when we go to Canada to smuggle home toilets that work, do we need to stock up on gas cans too?

2. gpa

gpa Binder Driver

Looks like we cannot use Wiskey Tango Foxtrot these days?
    I guess after they designed the new gas cans...

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

They have been out for a few years now,2 different type,one you squeeze a handle(not as bad as the other style)and the one you have to sort of pull on the spout,I cant even get gas in the lawn mower,glad my wife cuts the grass.
    Jeff

4. kingben01

kingben01 Farmall Cub

You will find no sanctuary from this problem in Canada. They're here too. Two words: THEY SUCK! I think the idea behind them was to intentionally slow down the flow to avoid spills, cause it takes a minute per gallon. I know. I do it every 2 days. 5 Gallons takes 5 minutes. I've been searching for a good way to install a breather in it so it will go faster. Any ideas?

So for now, I purchased one of the handles that screws on instead of the spout and has a built in pump. You put the can somewhere higher than the fuel filler, and pump a few times. Once the siphoning begins, I jam the handle with the gas cap and walk back in the house. Takes the same amount of time, but at least I don't have to stand there holding a 5 gallon can for 5 minutes in the cold.:D

5. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

I'm just glad I have a bunch of the old Blitz plastic gas containers (with the plain pull-out spout) in various sizes.

6. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Got tired of it taking so long to fill the kubota. I know this is extremely 'mickey mouse ' but screw it... they need a vent. I'm not sure how they figure repeated chugging and gurgling will cut down spillage so with one DIESEL container that stays at home I put a small hole in the handle, swap out spouts and keep the redneck vent wrapped when not in use. With the one I carry with me I leave intact. If I don't have an older spout to swap out, I just take the entire spout off and aim. I'll use a funnel but if some spills or splashes out....oh well. The brainiacs need to find a better way of making these things 'safer' because the way they are right now is rediculous. The gas ones I'll swap out spouts if ones around but more often than not leave well enough alone and just swear a little. Most of the time just trying to keep the safety device open fails , the can slips a little and some gas spills anyway. I'll bet the one who came up with the design of these useless pieces of crap never even used a gas can before.

7. Meat Man

Meat Man Farmall Cub

I tried to put a tire valvestem near the handle. Remove the valve core and use the cap to control air flow.

This was with the spout with the handle.

It was a miserable FAIL. The added air caused the original vent in the handle to leak gas. I drilled the hole a little too large and the valvestem never really sealed tight. Finally, the gas affected the rubber and the valvestem decided to disassemble itself one hot day.

Might work if you use the spout with the yellow cap and no handle. And use a metal vavlestem insead of rubber.