New (Fact. Refurb) Holley 2300 flooding

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Cheese1, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Cheese1

Cheese1 Farmall Cub

I picked up a new factory refurbished 2300 from the Holley store on Ebay. Right out of the box it shot fuel through the vent. I called tech support and they said sent it back. Naturally at my expense. They checked it out and sent it back to me. I installed it today and low and behold it’s shooting fuel through the vent again. I swapped out the needle and seat from a new Holley rebuild kit and still the same issue. I am using a mechanical fuel pump with two filters before the carb so I don’t think the fuel pressure would be an issue. Any ideas on what it could be? I’m hesitant to send it back unless they pay shipping or offer a full refund.

2. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Have you checked the float leavel,and if the float actually floats.

3. Cheese1

Cheese1 Farmall Cub

I removed the screw for the site window and fuel poured out from the top until it emptied to the bottom of the hole, a few ounces at least. I used my pick set to move the float up and down and it does move freely. I screwed the plug back in, fired up the motor and it shot gas out of the vent. I can’t get to run without it flooding to check the actual float level.

4. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Try adjusting the float level without it running and then check the float level. It sounds like the level is way too high.

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

On my 2300, I would loosen the top screw with a large-blade screwdriver, then turn the lower nut clockwise (with a 5/8" box wrench) in order to lower the fuel level.
    If you can disconnect the fuel inlet and hook a hose or tube to the carburetor, you can do a crude test of the float valve (open vs closed) by blowing into the hose after (or while?) you make an adjustment. Alternatively, you could adjust the float valve as low as possible, tighten the top screw, and see if that stops the overflow when you run the engine. If it doesn't, something is wrong either with the valve assembly or with the bowl casting; could a crack or other defect exist?
    I don't understand how the shop couldn't solve the problem, or be sure to send a good different unit.

6. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

There is absolutely no fuel level control going on. When you swapped the needle, did you put it back in like you found it, or did you follow instructions that came with the kit and set the dry float level? Is the float spring in the right position if this is a side inlet? This sounds dorky but sometimes I blow, lung air, through the inlet fitting while holding the bowl in the regular position; then I turn it upside down and blow again to check for resistance while moving the float. That dry check at least can tell me if I did it right.

7. Bill Bennett

Bill Bennett High Wheeler

What is the fuel pressure from the fuel pump?

8. Cheese1

Cheese1 Farmall Cub

I picked up a fuel pressure regulator, unfortunately the parts house didn’t have gauge in stock. I installed the regulator and adjusted it to the lowest pressure which is 4.5 psi and it still shoots gas out the vent. I adjusted the needle and seat all the way in and it still floods. I started the motor with the site plug out and it pours gas out the plug. There’s gotta be someting wrong with the float.

9. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Your float or your needle/seat.The seat could be cracked,or no seal above it.

10. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

At this point I would try blowing into the inlet, as described before. If it leaks doing that, I'd take some pictures of the carburetor (in place) for documentation, then I'd take the fuel bowl off and look for cracks or mis-machined parts which would cause the gross leak. Yes, be sure the 'float' floats; I'd even look for odd things like an upside down or short needle, and if I found anything, I'd photograph it.

11. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Dreams of Cub Cadets

Fuel pressure can't be an issue. I don't believe the factory fuel pump is capable of producing more than about 5.5 PSI anyway. I learned this from installing a Holley regulator and gauge on my engine. Even with the regulator opened all the way the FP never rose very high. As I said, maybe 5.5 PSI, by the 0-15 psi gauge I was using.

So.... gotta be something amiss with your float or needle and seat. It's the only explanation.

12. Cheese1

Cheese1 Farmall Cub

H
    Holley agreed to take the carb back and offer a refund. I’ve rebuilt the original carb and it works fine with no flooding.

jeff campbell likes this.
  13. Bill Bennett

Bill Bennett High Wheeler

D id you try swapping the old fuel bowl with the new fuel bowl? = Put the old fuel bowl on the new carb?

14. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

Any chance they're paying for the shipping too, considering they didn't fix it the first time?

Just curious; what was the list number of the original carburetor? How's the engine running with it now while driving the vehicle; any fine tuning still needed?

15. jmeister

jmeister Farmall Cub

Could you tell on the rebuild if it was a new float? Plastic or nitrophyl? I had a similar problem with a plastic center mount float when I rebuilt my 2300. I couldn't get the fuel level set because the float bracket was bent allowing the float to go to the top of the bowl despite maximum adjustment. Bent it down, but a week later it was back up to the top of the bowl and flooding the engine again. Ran across a youtube video in which the guy claimed to have seen that problem with several plastic center mount floats and claimed the bracket on those was too flimsy, but that the nitrophyl floats didn't have that problem. Replaced it with a new nitrophyl float and all is well.

16. Cheese1

Cheese1 Farmall Cub

Holley did pay the return shipping. The problem carburetor was a factory new 2300 center hung float that had been previously returned. Now I know why. Holley sells these on ebay for around $230 where as a new unreturned carb is around $380. The carb I rebuilt is a 2300 list 2977 that was purchased 10 years ago from a parts house. It is a side float model from around 1966. It runs good, it has a slight hesitation on tip in but otherwise no problems.

17. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Ah tip in hesitation. Check the accelerator pump's clearance between it's arm and the head of the adjustable bolt with the spring on full stroke. You should be able to insert no more than a .015" feeler gauge in between the pump's arm and the bolt head. Also where the cam rides on the pivot arm should be smooth with no scores or roughness; just a nice smooth cam action.