New Exterior Paint For BioD Vehicle?

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by Eddie, May 28, 2013.

1. Eddie

Eddie High Wheeler

Both my Scout and my repowered Dorf have BioD overspill issues around the fuel fill.

Affecting both vehicles, the paint itself has softened, thinned, and the color coat has been worn off, not by me wiping it to see if it has thinned and softened:yes:

Additionally, the two-side tape used to adhere the side bump strip has loosened and the bump strip has curled outward, rendering it less than straight. (Huh?)

In the future (obviously, the far, far, future) I'm going to have to squirt fresh paint and slop new glue in a no-doubt hilarious and feeble (but at least stoopid) attempt to cover up these boo-boos before Mom sees 'em.

Any suggestions 'bout paint/adhesive formulations?

Eddie

2. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

yeah, me too. :oops:
    The B fuel loves to eat paint, clear coated or not and adhesives, sorta like caustic. A lot of pumps at the biodump are clean naked metal. I don't know of anything that will stop it from happening again (after a repaint) when it does happen to get on there again. Body shop may have an answer on that.

3. pri

pri High Wheeler

Only thing I know of that holds up for bio fuel is a good quality polyurethane paint. Works for me, your mileage may vary... :D

4. Eddie

Eddie High Wheeler

Ummm. OK. The cross-linked variety or the newer hybrid* paints?

Come on man, this is a truly international (and don't think I didn't just love using that horrible pun:punk:) forum. In that spirit, is the mileage referred to in kilometers/liter or real numbers?:tank:

eddiE

*I understand that these newer paints (or "coatings", as their marketers are pleased to call them), were derived from a mysterious formula secretly developed, obstensibly by a covert joint NASA/European Space Agency project, from a strange hieroglyph found on an asteroid which (theoretically) originated on the former planet Pluto.

5. pri

pri High Wheeler

I use the old school stuff. The one that is used to paint trailers to transport chemicals.:yes:
    I do recommend good quality protective clothing and a fresh cartridge in your breather when you go in for a second coat...

I prefer to calculate my mileage based on an algorithm that includes, but is not limited to, the decay rate of Uranium (235), the distance to the sun, the phase of the moon, and the level of annoyance with commercials while watching "The Big Bang Theory". :D

-Paul

6. Eddie

Eddie High Wheeler

Re: On The Missing

Yeah, your formula times whatever number both larger and smaller than (say) 17-exponentially. Me, I just scream like a little girl, and rant'n'rave and swallow my tongue and froth and throw things at the teevee. :gun_bandana: I'd probably tear out my hair but that ship has sailed; I go to get to rippin' and my hands just bounce off my shiny chrome-dome--CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!

Got expensive replacing teevees; COOL though. Ever seen an ol' skool curved-screen cathode-ray tube explode? OK, ok--"implode" (Kids, don't try this at home.) (Idiot Grandpas, don't try this at home, either.)

Eddie

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013