New electric fan solution with stock Scout II shroud

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by graedin, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Tucker H

Tucker H Farmall Cub

Should of specified that, the op, or anyone using the electric fan in the fan shroud idea. It looks nice clean and efficient, Since the shroud was missing from my terra i have found one and was contemplating the electric upgrade at the same time. Im trying to find out where is the best place to put the termoswitch (intake, upper hose, tstat housing?) and where to route the wiring that seems safest.

2. Oakland_Jack

Oakland_Jack Binder Driver

Graedin,

Any photos of the setup in the engine bay? I'd like to see the clearance with the water pump. Can you clarify the body lift comment? Does the shroud movement associated with a lift affect interference of you assembly with the water pump?

Thank you very much, jack

3. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Hello I just finished this setup with a 1" body lift in my scout II. I wanted to do this as I wouldn't have to cut up my uncut factory shroud with a body lift. I shaved about 2/16" off the water pump knob just to be safe on clearance. It works great! However when setting the top of the electric fan in the factory scout shroud you must pull the electric fan away from the shroud far enough so once it spins and starts moving some air the fan will bend forward (as it is made a of a flexible plastic) and hit the shroud on top. I am guessing around a 1/2" away from the shroud (should keep it from rubbing) but I kept moving mine farther back as I started with only a 1/8" gap and it rubbed so I'd move it, then run the fan, it would rub then I would move it back some more until no more rub when the fan was on full blast. I believe I have less room on my mine than other scouts from the water pump as my other scout II has more clearance in that area. THerefore you may not have to shave anything off the water pump nipple. You will want to mount the bottom more inward (or toward the radiator) than the top to help clear the NIPPLE on the water pump. I cut a 2x6 piece of tin and mounted it to the bottom of the shroud with 3 bolts and then used 2 bolts to mount the electric fans frame to. This allowed me to move the fan closer to the radiator than I could have without the 2x6 extension. You also want the fan to be set to kick in about 10 degrees higher than what your thermostat is set to. so my 195deg. thermostat has me starting my fan at 205 degrees and then shuts back off around 195 deg. I've only used it one day so far and it never came on until I was parked and idleing for a few minutes, granted it is only 30 degrees here today but I am still happy so far!
    Good luck!!!

P.s. love the motor build write up!!!!

Brandon

4. Oakland_Jack

Brandon,

Thanks for the info! Where did you mount your thermal switch? I'm thinking it would be nice to mount the temp switch at the outlet of the radiator. If the coolant leaving the radiator is too hot, that'd suggest more airflow is needed. I wish the temp switch was adjustable.

The reminder of fan flex is appreciated.

cheers, jack

5. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

This is something I did a ton of reading on and picked a Hayden adjustable thermostat. It is part number 3653 at Oreilly auto. Great thing is it costs only $18 and on the web it is considered to be the cheapest while reliable option. I placed the temp sensor in the upper radiator hose going into the radiator. I had to use silicone to seal the hose from leaking antifreeze. I also run a 30 amp relay and breaker so the power isn't sent through the hayden unit but through the relay itself. You will also need a bigger alternator to help out at idle. currently mine is the 60 amp model but needs a boost in power. I ran power to the relay directly off the alternator. Hayden wants you to put the sensor in between the radiator fins. I wasn't comfortable with that idea so I did it inside the radiator hose. I don't have many miles on this setup but so far so good....

Good luck.....

Brandon

6. Tucker H

Tucker H Farmall Cub

So how is your set up holding up?
    Just curious cause I can get this fan new with warranty threw work with discount so i thought why not upgrade?

7. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Fan is holding up well but since the weather has gotten warmer close to 80 degrees and humid with my 195 deg thermostat my vehicle is now running down the road at 203 degrees. The fan kicks in fairly often as I have it set at 205 degrees to turn on. That in itself is not so bad but what bothered me was at idle the fan was not able to lower the temp down to 195 degrees or the shut off temp. I feel as though in my situation a fan with a bigger electric motor would do the job by pulling more air. Or possibly when I put my 180 degree thermostat back in it will be able to handle the hotter temps outside.

-All that being said I never had any overheating problems with either types of manual fans clutch or solid. I just did this to try and squeak out 1 more mpg!!! I am not sure yet if it has helped with mileage...

-I need to do more testing.....

8. R290

R290 High Wheeler

I found with the clutch fan, when I got off the freeway the temps would rise.

With the electric the temps would now drop as the fan would stay on.

I live about a mile off the freeway and it would run 195+ on a hot day when driving 65 mph. with the 180 t-stat.

In about 5 minutes the temps drops to around 180-185.

My scout is heavy as I added a lot of weight. dry weight is around 6,500:oops:

9. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

An electric fan with the proper flow capability should be able to take an idling engine down from the 205 degree turn on point down to the thermostat's rated temp in 2-3 minutes and then shut off.

10. TEXASPAUL

TEXASPAUL Farmall Cub

Graedin,

I have tried your set up and I am having a over heating over (220+ degrees) problem only at high way speeds, cools fine sitting still, will you look at my pictures and see if you see any thing wrong with my set up. Does the Fan only have 1 speed?
    Thanks

160 thermostat
    fan is less that 1 inch from Rad
    Rad 3 core less than 3 years old
    electric fan polarity correct (its pulling air not pushing)
    New NAPA HD water pump
    Condenser is 3/4 inch from Rad per Vintage Air Recommendation

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

If it's any consolation I went back to a clutch fan and have no problems. My electric setup could not keep it cool at idle and ran warmer going down the road. Some people like em but on my second try it still failed so I am stickin with old faithful.....

Good luck

Brando

12. Tucker H

Tucker H Farmall Cub

After trying to install a factory shroud and fan, i have a body lift i never noticed....dang it :censored: well I dont like cutting up perfectly good factory stuff, so I'm having a piece of sheet metal bent up to fit on the radiator and having it drilled to fit two off set cooling fans to clear the water pump. When it is complete and running ill post up my set up.

One thing to remember is to clean the cooling system out, and wash out the fins on the radiator.
    I have a cleaned and fixed factory radiator on atleast a 1 inch body lift with factory 5 blade fan, morning and evening she runs a cool 182-186 with a Robertshaw tstat 180.
    Telling me my system is running as best it can, but for driving in the heat of the day 85+ to 95+ 40-80% humidity, she consistently runs 195-210/20 depending on freeway town speeds. Only gets to 220 when hopping off the freeway and coming to a red light or stop sign.

Insterstate speeds 55-70 205-210 in the sun. Town speeds 25-50 195-205 until traffic and stop lights, nothing to terrifying so im not fretting until pulling a loaded trailer and bed for work.

13. tdc

tdc Dreams of Cub Cadets

Cool idea. Nicest fit I've seen on a Scout II with an electric fan. I like the idea of taking the drag off the motor.
    I use a large pusher fan in front of the 3 row radiator on my sv powered T-ette, as well as a engine powered flex fan.
    It has a manual switch on the dash and sure comes in handy going over long steep grades and sitting in traffic.

14. yellowII

yellowII Farmall Cub

I'm hoping to use this fan for my '79 ScoutII. I measure 3 1/2 inches between the water pump hub and the radiator. Will the Jeep fan fit in that small space?

15. rjbunz

rjbunz Farmall Cub

Was there ever a verdict on the cooling power of this setup?

16. R290

R290 High Wheeler

17. Oakland_Jack

Update:

I bought a version of this fan on Ebay brand new. I installed it on a newly built 345 with a new champion 3-core radiator. 79 SII. I created a shroud that draws air through the 19" circular footprint of the fan (not as good as a full stock shroud).

I took the scout to the mountains and in 4-low (no apparent wind, just fan draw) going uphill at 7000-8000 feet elevation, I had lots of overheating problems with air temps of 85F. The fan did not keep up with the heat my engine produced.

I plan to replace this electric fan with an electric solution that has more draw (cfm's). I can not find the cfm rating for this fan to use as a reference. Does anyone know it? I find it strange that nobody reports the rating of this fan. There are numerous manufacturers of this fan and differences may exist between parts that carry the same OEM part number.

This fan is spec'd for several jeep vehicles, mostly modern injected machines with 5L or smaller engines. I'd argue that a less efficient and larger motor (my 345) needs a larger fan.

I appreciate this post as it almost worked for me, but for very slow, higher power applications (trail use), I would not recommend it.

If anyone wants to try my fan, it is for sale cheap! :)

18. jauringer

jauringer High Wheeler

The Derale 17", two speed electric fan is a perfect solution for our trucks. Slow cruising in the Texas heat hasn't gotten the best of me since running one. (correctly that is)

It shouldn't be smashed up against the rad like most folks do and Just like a mechanical fan, it will need a good shroud. I think mine sits 5/8" off the rad fins.

Depending on how tight the seal between the fan, shroud, and rad is, it might require a few rubber flaps that open up during high speed cruising. Pic below for reference.

here's description from Street Rods By Michael on the spal cooling flaps.

[​IMG]

19. rjbunz

rjbunz Farmall Cub

Thanks for the update, I actually just ordered the fan from ebay a few days ago doh. I do have a stock shroud that I plan on using. How bad was the overheating? What did you switch to?

I wonder if the derale fan or another aftermarket fan would work with the stock shroud.

I know a fan from a ford Taurus is quite popular in the offroad community.

20. Oakland_Jack

Jason,

I take it you are running a single 17" fan? When you say slow cruising, that is a world of difference from climbing up boulders with 18psi in the tires. Last weekend I drove the truck over 8000 feet up Plummer ridge jeep trail near carson pass. Nice little trail but hardly cruising. The truck does fine at highway speeds or around town. The trail is much more demanding as the engine is working hard while at a near standstill.

I'm looking for an alternative fan setup. Our approximately square radiators suggest either a single large fan or 4 small fans. There seem to be quite a few low profile fans out there. I like the idea of running two fans as redundancy would be nice if one goes down on a trip. Two fans makes poor use of the radiator surface area suggesting 4. There are a lot of 8 and 9" fans out there that can be hooked up to run as 2 or 4 (diagonally) depending on the demand. I believe R290 has this setup. This may be way overkill for folks in most of the country.

-jack