New Direct Bolt-In Alternator

Discussion in 'Anything Scout' started by scoutrallye, Nov 2, 2012.

1. scoutrallye

scoutrallye Farmall Cub

This new CS130 direct bolt-in alternator is a great upgrade for your truck. Stock alternators put out 50-60 amps. A must-have for any truck with additional power needs such as stereo, offroad lights, winch, etc. This alternator comes with a direct plug-in adapter (not pictured).

Attached Files:

2. rolinslow

rolinslow Farmall Cub

Will it fit the diesels too?

3. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Diesel scout? No completely different on the diesels.

4. rolinslow

rolinslow Farmall Cub

I figured but i had to ask.

5. scoutrallye

scoutrallye Farmall Cub

We are actually making a bracket so you could retro fit this alternator in your diesel! The main issue is you would be losing you source of vacuum for your brakes. If you do a hydroboost kit you would be good to go!

-sean

6. rolinslow

rolinslow Farmall Cub

That would be awsome, i can use an electric vacume pump for a while, let us diesel guys know when its ready. Thx

7. Devin

Devin Farmall Cub

rolinslow, I purchased a CS-130 alternator just the other day (before Sean posted this one and threw in a wiring pigtail, which I still need) intending to make this conversion. I made a conversion similar to this with a 12SI years ago in another diesel Scout and will post a thread, regarding this conversion too. Hopefully, if Sean can build me the alternator bracket to go with I'd be able to post the full Alternator/Hydroboost conversion for a diesel Scout using 'bolt-in' parts contrasted against a few other options.

I still haven't managed to find a solution for my (now-broken) Hitachi alternator that is allegedly boosted to 70 amps. But that has to do with the scarcity of suitable wiring available to me to replace the alternator's stator wire to pigtail. Once I have that problem solved and can confirm that its output was increased, I'll open it up to find out what was done to boost its output. After the conversion to the CS130, I'll likely put the boosted Hitachi up for sale once I confirm the CS130 is working as desired.

8. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Does the alt come with a large gauge shunt wire from alt to battery to bypass the amp gauge and not cause a fire due to overloading the gauge?

If not it would be advisable to place a note stating that you need to have shunt to prevent damage to the amp gauge/wiring from a liability stand point. I would be mad if I bought one bolted in and it burn my truck up.

9. Devin

Devin Farmall Cub

While I don't imagine the Alternator comes with it, I do know that I plan on covering that mod on the diesel forum when I complete it, and I think I did cover it for the 12SI mod that I did a few years ago (also on a diesel).

Frankly, I think a person needs to do more than just run a shunt in the engine compartment. But more on that in another thread. BO185 is right in that if you aren't comfortable with learning more about the modifications you're willing to make, then you maybe shouldn't be doing them.