New 4 barrel adapter prototype

Discussion in 'Hamilton Fuel Injection' started by Bill USN-1, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

In my quest to develop and build a better mouse trap......
    My latest adapter is now one step closer to production.

There is a small and large throttle body version that will fit the Holley square bore and the Rochester spread bore pattern manifolds.

The throttle body is mounted in the center of the bores and the new design incorporates a taper on the underside to allow air and fuel flow to all 4 bores evenly.

Small TBI

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Large TBI

[​IMG]

Squarebore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spreadbore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to have these available within a couple weeks.

2. jauringer

jauringer High Wheeler

That's darn nice Bill. Great addition to the Hamilton Catalog. I like that it creates one big bore. The injectors aren't isolated to their specific side of the manifold.

Edit: You don't happen to have a 2bbl version with 1 large opening?

Good work.
    Jason

3. Bill USN-1

Thanks Jason,
    Once a few of my other adapters (4 cyl/6cyl 1bbl) are tweaked then the 2bbl is going to get redone with the same basic design as the 4bbl adapter. Instead of the fully machined 2 separate bores that taper from 1 11/16 to the IH 1 9/16 it will be the tapered oval.
    It will help balance the flow from side to side and allow for a much simpler machining process. Hopefully a little cheaper.

4. Bill USN-1

Got the first shipment in. Price is initially set at $75 for those on here.

5. El Guapo

El Guapo Farmall Cub

Bill, these look great!

I'm finally getting around to prepping my harness etc. so install is imminent.

What are the advantages of your adapter vs the holley 1741 adapter for the spreadbore 4bbl intake? Primarily the single bore?

I already have the 1741, is it worth re-investing?? :)

Cheers,
    Mike

6. Bill USN-1

Mike,
    The reason I'm spending so much time and money designing my own line of adapters is because I feel all the current adapters out there are just a compromise to what we need/want.

Here is your 17-41 Holley designed for the square and spread bore just like mine.

[​IMG]

The holley is set up to be reversible so you can mount the TBI over the front or the rear bores.
    I set mine up so it is centered over all 4 and the air and fuel can flow to all 4 at the same time instead of being biased to the front or the rear.
    I feel it gives a more even distribution to all cylinders at all rpms. You can see how I tried to increase the flow by tapering the bottom of the plate to all 4 bores.

[​IMG]

A 4 barrel carb will operate on just the front at low rpm and then when you need the power it opens the rears and flows to all 4 bores. So it only made sense that the throttle body should be set to allow even flow to all 4 bores.

It's up to you if you think it's worth the upgrade.
    you can always put your up for sale on ebay!!
    Thanks for asking.

7. El Guapo

El Guapo Farmall Cub

Bill,

Thanks for the added insight!! Good stuff.

Have you had the chance to do performance comparisons or flow bench tests? I used to work with a performance carb builder for rotary engines many moons ago. He built flow benches and did lots of neat tests to dial in his designs.

i'd be real curious to compare these. I bet we'd see noticeable gains from your design.

Thanks again!
    Mike

8. Bill USN-1

The up and down side to living on an island is less businesses.
    The closest chassis dyno is 50 miles away.
    I actually just passed up a vertical laminar flow bench at the DRMO sale. Just not enough room in my shop for everything I want.

I think efficiency and even air/fuel flow to all cylinders would be improved more than actual flow numbers. An IH 345 is only going to draw about 350-400cfm.
    Doesn't take much to flow those numbers.

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Farmall Cub

Yeah, a chassis dyno will probably be tough to detect any noticeable differences with so many other variables at play. And, you make a good point. 350-400 CFM probably won't be too limited by these things. But even mixture to all cylinders is a nice proposition. especially considering how open the plenum is below the throttle body.

The bench would have been cool. Always wanted to play with one.

Thanks for the added insight. Great looking adapters. I may just go for it once it's time to get a final chip from you.

Cheers!

10. redhead_823

redhead_823 Farmall Cub

I thought that the left and right bores were separated (dual plane manifold) in order to improve intake flow dynamics at low speed for better torque and response. Won't this negatively impact that by allowing cross talk?

I do like that it feeds both front and rear bores, that will probably help even flow.

Are you concerned about the areas where the air hits the top side of the manifold? It seems like this would cause some turbulence.

11. Bill USN-1

The assumption is that they are actually separated from side to side.
    But in reality the two sides on many of the IH manifolds are not.
    There is a small recess on later year manifolds that opens up below the carb base. Then it divides into the separate ports.

I used to think it was important to maintain this separation also, until I started to design all these adapters and studied the different manifold designs.
    Then I looked at the bottom of the throttle body and even if you kept the adapter ports separate they would still be joined just below the throttle blades of the throttle body since there are passages between them.

So why go to all that trouble trying to keep them separate when it will never happen.
    I think it actually helps to balance the air fuel mixture between the sides if one jet or injector happens to flow a little different than the other.

As for hitting edges...nothing can really be done about that. I have tried to design them to reduce as much as possible but unless you have an open plenum design, your always going to hit something. The vacuum should be drawing it to where it needs to go. It's not gravity that would have it just fall into the ports.
    Open plenum manifolds are basically for higher rpm engine operation which would be totally useless on our engines.

Even my latest design of 2 barrel adapter I have removed the center to allow more even distribution between sides since the TBI already had balance ports on the bottom.

Here's a pic that shows the balance passages between the 2 bores.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: