New 33 gallon tank VS 19 gallon plastic

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Dwayne N, May 2, 2005.

1. Dwayne N

Dwayne N Farmall Cub

I have a supply tube that needs to be welded back on to my existing tank on my SII, 345/727. Quotes are coming in at about $90-$125. I might as well get a new tank and sender and be done with it.

But should I go with the 33gal steel or 19gal plastic? I'm going on a long trip this summer from Phoenix, AZ to Northern CA. I'll be pulling a pop-up camper as well. I'm thinking that maybe I should get the 33 so that I'll only have fill up about 30 times instead of 50 :cool:

What have you guys done and how has it worked out for you? Will I need to modify my hitch if I go with the 33gal. I have a 2' spring lift.

Back Country Binder's has the 33 with attached skid plate and sender for a decent price, it seems?

Appreciate your thoughts on the pros and cons.

2. Ruffian

Ruffian Farmall Cub

<<But should I go with the 33gal steel or 19gal plastic? I'm going on a long trip this summer from Phoenix, AZ to Northern CA. I'll be pulling a pop-up camper as well. I'm thinking that maybe I should get the 33 so that I'll only have fill up about 30 times instead of 50>>

You mean there's a 33 gal tank available? :eek:

It shoulda been OEM! Will it fit my '70 T-all? :eek:

<<Back Country Binder's has the 33 with attached skid plate and sender for a decent price, it seems?>>

Where's Back Country?

:cool:

da Ruffian

3. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

I've had an NWMP 33 gallon fuel tank on my Scout for ten years. It is one of the best aftermarket accessories I've bought for it. At about 14 mpg, the 33 tank gives you a good 450 mile range, compared with the 250 mile range of the stock tank.
    The tank on my Scout fits perfectly with the EAZ Lift class II receiver hitch on there.
    I bought my tank from The Scout Connection for $259, plus $30 shipping.

4. DrMaserati

DrMaserati High Wheeler

I installed the NWMP 33 gallon tank a year ago, and it's great. It's designed and built specifically for the Scout and very well built. Unfortunately the price has gone up substantially in the last 10 years from what is listed in the post above, mostly from the outrageous increase in steel prices the last couple of years.

Current price is over $400, but well worth it in my opinion. It's uncommon these days to find an aftermarket product that is so well made. And it comes with everything you will need, including a new sender.

http://www.nwmp.com/viewOptions.asp

When I bought mine last year I picked it up at the factory, since they are only about 60 miles from me. I got a personal tour of the place from their chief engineer, who is a car nut. We talked for most of an hour, and he showed no signs of slowing down.

Chris Cooper likes this.
  5. Darrell Tuxworth

Darrell Tuxworth High Wheeler

If you do any sort of driving where there are long distances between fuel stations or you just don't like to stop while you are on the road get the 33 gal.
    I put mine in 4 or 5 years ago and love it. I rarely worry about running out of fuel because the trail gets a little long or we decide to go over another pass before we hit any town. If you have a 2" body lift you can move the mounts on the tank down 2" and raise that big tank up a little more.
    There are of course cons to it.
    1--hangs down pretty low compared to stock
    2--shock from shelling out $70 to fill it up.
    Darrell

6. budget76

budget76 High Wheeler

my scout came with the 33 :D it is MUCH bigger than the 19 (obviously), but i read on some thread on here that it is like a skidplate (metal one). i am actually afraid to fill it up, as that will drain my accout :eek: actually, we never even came close to filling it. at the only outing we took it on so far we only put in 20 gallons ;) that was enough money for one station :rolleyes: i would definately pay the extra for the 33. much less worrying about gas shortage on trails and such :cool:

7. J.Pepe

J.Pepe Farmall Cub

Wow....I don't think I'd ever WANT to drive my truck 450 miles without stopping. :D

8. GaryB

GaryB High Wheeler

Not the issue of stopping, but running out of gas 5 miles from the nearest pump. In central Nevada, you can go for days without seeing a gas pump. We normally carry a spare 5 just for that reason. A 33 is definitely in the works for my SII once I get the "more importants" out of the way. ;)

? on the NWMP tank, the sending unit, is it set up for stock ohms? Or is it another make? Just curious so I know what aftermarket gauge to get down the road :D

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  9. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

A new sending unit comes with the 33 gal tank. I recall the subject of what make it is being discussed on the oooold BB (at least several years ago), but don't remember the details. The new sending unit works with the stock Scout II fuel gauge. You may also find out that your fuel gauge needs a *tune-up*. This usually consists of removing/disassembling the gauge/instrument cluster, cleaning all the electrical contacts, and reassembling/reinstalling the cluster.

10. Blackdog

Blackdog Binder Driver

This is a 33 gal tank I made. (one mounting bolt is missing in the picture). The bottom in made from supported 1/8" plate, so it is also a skid plate. I can jack up the rear end by putting a floor jack under the tank. My next version will have two fill points, the stock location on the left and one on the right. I could go 500 miles between fill ups.

Attached Files:

cbsquidss likes this.
  11. J.Pepe

J.Pepe Farmall Cub

Ahhh, yes....I remember running out of gas in the Ol' Scout in the middle of Utah. First time hitching a ride with an 18-wheeler :D

Like you said, missed the nearest gas station by about 6 miles :p

12. Dwayne N

Dwayne N Farmall Cub

Looks like the votes are in...I'm definitely going to get the 33 gallon tank.

Thanks guys for all the feedback!!!

13. DrMaserati

DrMaserati High Wheeler

The tank is designed and built specifically for the Scout II. The sender works perfectly.

JP

14. GaryB

GaryB High Wheeler

Danke. That's what I needed to know.

I'm going to tune it up alright. Maybe when it lands it will get adjusted right. :D After that the new Auto Meter will be getting the job done. It used to read low, cleaned up everything and now it reads high. I don't care really because it does read the same everytime between fill ups so I haven't (knock on keyboard) ran out go juice yet.

15. cbsquidss

cbsquidss Farmall Cub

Do you have dimensions or a plan for that tank you made? I am looking for a ~33 gallon steel tank and was thinking of welding one up. thanks

16. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

What abot just using some jb weld and reinforcing by working the jb weld into some fiberglass cloth. Make a wooden jig if you need to temporarily hold it in place and make sure the surfaces are clean, paint free and roughed up with sandpaper first. Then sit it in the sun so it gets nice and hot to cure. Make sure you work the jb weld into the fiberglass mat real good. You can thin slightly with acetone to make it easier to work into the mat but dont use more than one tsp per 2oz of mixed product. Sitting in the sun makes it cure faster , harder and more chemical resistant.

17. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Seems like welding would be quicker. Last longer. Then acid wash the inside and coat with one of those fuel tank liner kits. Would last forever.

cbsquidss and Chris Cooper like this.
  18. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

OP is long gone.

I can get you that information but to be honest I don't want to bother unless you're going to do it for sure. Let me know.

scout2000 likes this.
  19. cbsquidss

cbsquidss Farmall Cub

If you don't have the dims then don't worry about it - I am on the fence of buying a plastic tank anyway to make it easy. Maybe I'll take dims when putting my scout back together and weld up a larger steel tank later. Maybe get a shop to make me a stainless steel tank... who knows. For now, I am getting the itch o get my scout back on the road as soon as possible.

Darrel likes this.
  20. cbsquidss

cbsquidss Farmall Cub

Aye, I'll make that my long term goal, but I think plastic is short term...