Never Enough Champagne

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by oneof3k, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Scat_bucket

Scat_bucket Farmall Cub

2. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

Do you have any clearer, closer pictures you could post?

3. Scat_bucket

Scat_bucket Farmall Cub

That was fast, 10 minutes and its gone!

4. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    It was fast. The boss lady and I are camping and it’s too windy to kayak so I was sewing a sun visor when the notification came in. I normally don’t check things until the morning unless my stomach says it’s lunch time which it was. I guess I now own two RCS dash pads. Where are the champagne ones?????[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randall Barringer and jmait769 like this.
  5. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

Glad to hear you got it. Post up some pictures when it comes in.

6. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

At Least I Have Some Cosmetic Progress....

As requested (and I guess showing off my good fortune), here are some pics of my "new" second dash pad. Many thx to Scat_bucket (Robert) for letting me know that it was for sale last week and not so much for making me pay for it too!

dash4.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash3.jpg

dash1.jpg

This dash pad is in better condition then the one I purchased a month ago (and cost less :bananrap:). I'm not sure it's IH though as it almost looked like it was preserved by dirt alone but without the requisite oil too! It only had a single crack in it that was repaired by Scat_bucket. Even came with four the of six mounting brackets. Now I just need to wait and see what tit for tat purchase(s) the boss lady comes home with!

When I get to the point of installation in my next lifetime, I will have some custom paint for plastics made up. I'm thinking hot pink would be a nice touch to contrast with the champagne-colored dash? I still would like to know why I've seen a perhaps a dozen or so RCS dash pads but not a single CS pad the past year? I also wish to "officially" stop looking for these animals as two's enough. But I suspect a few other members would like to have one....

Also on the good news front, I found a few hours last week to sew up the seam of a sun visor that I had. Some before and after pics.

sunvisor4.jpg

sunvisor5.jpg

sunvisor1.jpg

sunvisor2.jpg

For the record, sewing (for me anyways) turns out way nicer if I hold off on the malt-based beverages.

And yes I know that the above "padded" visor and the mounting arm are off a Scout 800 (not my fault IH started putting the wiper motors on the wrong side of the windshield beginning in 1966 :tt2:). The other CS (Nancy) came with two "correct" mounting arms (see pic below) so I will steal one of those and make a non-padded sun visor for Barb which is, I believe, what came with the CS (and RCS) package(s). Most likely I will install this one in Nancy as she will not be restored to quite the original level as Barb. Maybe.

sunvisor original.jpg

scout2000 likes this.
  7. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

Nice job on the stitching. That dash pad looks good. The pictures on Ebay were a little dark/ far away. I'm glad you ended up with it! Is the difference in sun visors the mounting arm or padded vs non padded?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    oneof3k likes this.
  8. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Both!

The mounting arms as shown below are clearly different species.

sun visor comparo2.jpg

sun visor comparo1.jpg

The one on the top (Scout 80) is extended away from the windshield frame in order to clear the wiper motor(s), whereas the the bottom arm (Scout 800) is more flush with the windshield frame as the wiper motors are on the bottom. Plus, as I've found out, the Scout 800 arms are pretty common but I've only found a single Scout 80 arm at Coonrods (and the two in Nancy). I do not have any credible knowledge if the Scout 80 arms (as shown above) appeared on non RCS and CS models. Anyone out there know?

I seem to recall you purchased a couple of sun visors from Jay some time ago that were a different style? I think they look like this:

IMG_1911.JPG

(This pic came from the "other" Scout the seller was trying to pawn off on me while I was looking at Nancy last summer. I think it was a '61 or '62?) As I recall, there has been quite a bit of speculation here regarding this style of sun visor. Maybe IH put these on non RCS and CS Scouts, or perhaps they were aftermarket and/or dealer installed?

As far as the padded vs. non padded visors, there is some speculation on my part. The 800s were padded based on the ones I have and seen, and were likely off of "Custom" Scouts. If I recall correctly, I've read here that the RCS pads were not padded. This is somewhat confirmed by the remnants of the assembly I have that does not have any evidence of padding ever having been present (see pic in Post #146). Further evidence of RCS/CS being non padded are the many photos I've seen that do not appear to have padding. Finally, there is subtle differences in the shape of the two pads. (IF ANYONE KNOWS WITH CERTAINTY PLZ CHIME IN).

Edit: now that I think about it, someone here purchased some NOS Champagne visors in the past. I'll have to see if I can find that thread.

BTW, both the RCS/CS and 800 sun visors can be easily moved from the DS to the PS and vice versa. Just pull out the mounting arm and rotate/swivel the arm from the mounting head 180 degrees and reinstall the visor!

scout2000 and Nicxt44191 like this.
  9. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I had a second CS at one time that came with a passenger side visor and it was/is padded. This CS was also built with the turbo. I took what parts I wanted and sold it.
    I also have one of those Fulton visors that I believe came on the very early Scout 80´s.

Nicxt44191 likes this.
  10. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

Wow. I have never seen a visor arm like that before. I've only seen the 800 and the fulton 80 visor you posted and randall mentioned. Jay did help me out with the mounting ball for the visor. I now have 3 complete Fulton visor arms.

jmait769 and Randall Barringer like this.
  11. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Nice work on the visors Ed!!!! :thumbs up: And that was very nice of Scat_bucket to give you a heads up on that pad!!! :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

12. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Nothing better then discussing sun visors on a Friday evening (need an emoji for smart ass - insert here). I found the gentleman who I recalled purchasing some NOS CS sun visors. Pics posted here:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...uts-80-800-doll-ups.62296/page-7#post-1007230

I put in a PM so perhaps we can determine if his were padded or not (for verification from an originality perspective). If I'm not sick of sun visors, I'll post the answer!

Randy, is the outline/shape of the padded sun visor you have like either of these?

comparo1.jpg

comparo2.jpg

13. Randall Barringer

I've been drinking, but the bottom one in the pic looks like mine.
    I'll post some pics of mine tomorrow.
    Then someone can judge them and tell me that they're completely wrong.
    Cheers.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

oneof3k likes this.
  14. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Finally, something I can relate too :beer:!

And nothing to do with what's right or wrong, just what's original! Insofar as can ever be said about IH!

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  15. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

This one turned out better than the first one I repaired last year, likely due to the lack of alcohol in my system this time! And yes, I'm still counting my blessings for the second dash pad. This is one hell of a great community!

16. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

So Now What Do I Do....

After many missed goals, threats, :beer:, the never ending non-Scout chores, camping trips, and other excuses, the DS floor pan is finally in! I cannot tell everyone what a relief/joy it was once I finished grinding the last weld.

This time I went ahead and took the surrounding area to bare metal with the floor pan off.

floor cleaned2.jpg

Like all other lap joints, I punched/drilled a butt load of spot weld holes, sprayed weld-thru primer on those surfaces, marked, and then cleaned the immediate area prior to welding.

floor primed2.jpg

I had to get a bit creative for a few of the welds.

welding2.jpg

welding1.jpg
    This is how the floor pan turned out.

welded in8.jpg

Next was the transmission tunnel side cover. I found it ironic that I literally ran out of MIG wire on the very last weld.

trans cover4.jpg

I had to bribe the QA/QC officer as he said the work was marginal. Good thing the QA/QC dude has similar tastes :beer: as I do!

Lest I stop day dreaming, I placed the seat base onto this mess for the next pic. I still have to clean up the seat base, and I will wait to weld it in as I need to think about how I'll screw myself if I do so :2guns:.

Floor done1.jpg

For the first time in 28 years, I took everything out of Barb and cleaned her up. I had to think for a minute what those shiny things under the DS dash were; ziplock bags to protect the wiring.

Floor done3.jpg

So what's next? I have one last area of cancer that I need to address at the back of the bed; make that one last major area! And I'm sure I'll find some more.

bed1.jpg

I'm still trying to meet my goal of tub removal before the snow flies in earnest around here.

Edit: I keep a loose record of what I did each day (before beer thirty), what worked or didn't, lessons learned, and the number of hours I worked. So I thought I would share, should anyone give a damn, some of these stats. It took me a year and one week, from start to finish, replacing the sheet metal. I spent 404 hours working on Barb during this time, so if I discount all the side track projects, I'm guessing I spent around 350 hours messing with all the sheet metal. I don't know if that's good, bad, or ugly. I'm just happy I've met a milestone!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  17. Randall Barringer

Passenger side visor.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

18. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

My opinion, which usually doesn't amount to scat, is that your sun visor is off of a Scout 800 and the mounting arm was changed out in the past (like I did).

On a more important note, I see that all three of your shift knobs are white, just like mine. IH went all out with this CS doll up!

19. Randall Barringer

Fair enough. I feel lucky to have both sides. The second one I got was a free scout advertised on here for months. I paid the guy´s fuel (plus some) and got a free Scout delivered to me. It wasn´t until after I started looking that I realized what it was. I ordered a LST for confirmation, robbed what I needed,and sold it. That Scout was rough and I don´t feel bad for making it my parts Scout. The last I heard, the guy that bought it had it running.
    I can be anal about some stuff, but at the end of the day, I´m learning that functionality is good too.
    Speaking of, what do your armrests on your CS look like?

oneof3k likes this.
  20. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Front or rear? You'd have to go back to the first page or so of this thread to see pics of the fronts. DS is pretty much shot, PS is in good condition. But, over the years, I found a couple of black arm rests in excellent condition off of a Scout 800, and I recently found a perfect NOS Champagne arm rest, all from Coonrods. I now have three perfect ones and one good one to distribute between the two ladies.

Rear seat arm rests follow in the same line; one real good and one beat up. I did, just yesterday, receive a second set from the same person that I bought the dash pad from. One of those is usable with a bit of work, the other is rather beat up. But as I only have a singe back seat (for Barb), I'll be fine :yes:.

Sometimes it's more fun to procure parts than actually installing them!