Never Enough Champagne

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by oneof3k, Feb 27, 2018.

1. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Great updates Ed!!! Keep them coming as you are doing an outstanding job! Those bumpers look way better now than they ever did from the factory!! :thumbs up:
    Its pretty desolate around here isn't it? :laugh: I have to admit that the pickings around here are far and few between lately. I have found that wearing an IH Parts America T-shirt or “Scout” T-shirt in Wal-Mart gets me some leads! One is a 73 Scout I have been talking with one of the employees about. He approached me and wondered if I knew anything about IH’s after seeing the shirt. He wanted to get rid of it but wasn’t 100% ready yet. Really talked it up how rust-free it was but need a new drivetrain. This went on a little while and now this week he was wondering if I would sell him an engine and tranny – cheap!! :pinch: I also have a lead on an early Scout 80 I got from just another customer who saw the T-shirt and had a friend that wanted to get rid of one. He sent me some pics and it looks pretty solid. Drivetrain is out but available and driver’s door is missing. I asked about title and cost – no title and wants $1000 for it! I remember giving $500 for non-runners and $1500 for runners with titles! Not anymore!!! :no:

Kenneth Barber and oneof3k like this.
  2. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Two weeks ago when arriving in CA and specifically at my cousin's house, I happened upon this well- restored beauty across the street. Kind of cool to see such a beast in a pretty well off neighborhood. Any body recognize her? La Canada CA.

ScoutII CA.jpg

3. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

I hear you Jay, the prices are creeping, or maybe even rapidly climbing , in the up direction. I guess I feel fortunate that I found Nancy last summer for "only" a grand. And I saw a '66 800 (advertised as a '65) on eBay this evening for a cool $30K and the reserve was not even met!

jmait769 likes this.
  4. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Will This Sheet Metal Work Ever Get Finished....

After some two weeks off, I'm back at it at least around all the other chores I have. I completed the (less rough) floor pan with some additional weld filling, then took the various wheels to the pan. I'm generally pleased with the outcome.

PS floor finished6.jpg

PS floor finished7.jpg

PS floor finished8.jpg

I also spent way too many hours fitting the transmission side cover. Put it into place, look with a critical eye, remove, take it to the bench, bend/modify, reinstall, repeat steps until blue in the face :lol:. After I was finally happy with the fit, I took a hard look at the existing holes from the original spot weld removal. I decided that three of the holes were a potential disaster (two were too close to corners so I would not be able to smooth out the new welds and one was mostly up the side of the cover away from the floor pan). So I abandoned/filled these holes and drilled some replacement ones. Just for S & Gs, I looked up the build day of Barb; it was on a Monday possibly explaining the goofy weld!

side cover repair.jpg

side cover repair2.jpg

With a bit of luck, continued motivation, and the fact that today is that one day (well two if one counts their birthday) when I should be able to play on Barb. Maybe that did not come out right. Playing with Barb? Nope. How about just working on the Scout!

Happy Father's Day everyone!

jmait769 and Kenneth Barber like this.
  5. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer High Wheeler

Good stuff as usual.
    That floor looks fantastic!
    Happy Father's day.

oneof3k likes this.
  6. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Thx Randy! Getting closer to the end as Kate let me work most of the day. Hopefully in the next day or two.....

Randall Barringer likes this.
  7. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

Looks good! Keep at it.

8. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

PS No More....

So while paying for a gallon of bar oil yesterday, the youngish gal taking my money asks if I'm cutting down some trees. Being ever so quick on my feet (actually falling down off my feet is more like it), I responded with "naw, this is for my International Scout". She pauses for a few moments and then asks if that is "some type of exotic car"? I'm not sure I would use exotic, but they sure take a large bite out of ones time and money!

Well, the suspense is over, at least for me. I was able to finally weld in and somewhat finish the PS transmission tunnel side cover, effectively completing sheet metal replacement on this side of Barb :clap:. While I was welding, and on the spur of the moment, I decided to tack weld the edges of the cover to the floor. Not really sure what possessed me to do that but I kind of regret doing that in hind sight. If it bugs me down the road, I will grind them out.

As I mentioned above, I spent way too much time fitting said cover. Even after all that time, it did not quite sit flush with the floor pan and tunnel side in all places. So I used some wood to hold the cover against the tunnel side during welding (who needs fancy, expensive tools, anyways)! And slight upward persuasion using bottle jacks below did the trick (not illustrated).

side cover install.jpg

Before welding, I did the weld through primer and cleaning of the immediate weld areas thing as I've done with all seams. If I was a little bit smarter, I would have tried to power wash the excessive grease thrown off the U-joints first. Probably wouldn't have come off anyways.

side cover install4.jpg

End results. Sorry about some of the pics. I guess shiny metal tends to reflect light. Just put on some shades :cool2:.

side cover install6.jpg

side cover install7.jpg

side cover install13.jpg

So no more PS sheet metal work and on to the DS! I sure hope that the DS goes faster or I might be looking at grass roots while lying down in a wooden box:dig:.

On a foot note and as a favor, I would truly welcome (constructive or not) suggestions on how I can complete the DS better, faster, cheaper, etc. I've learned a butt load thus far, but having experienced Scout folks comments would help me (and others that might not be too sick of this thread) down the road.

And remember this: I do sh!ty work, but at least I'm slow. But having a blast!

9. Randall Barringer

I don't think your work is shitty or slow.
    Quit bragging about your "shiny" metal or I'm going to send some rust over to you! :laugh::laugh:

oneof3k likes this.
  10. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

So far I've kept all the rusted panels and pieces I've removed. (Some of the pieces have actually come in handy for various reasons). I would take a pic, but I don't have a wide-angle lens to capture it all :kiss2: . I'll probably need to rent a forklift to get it hauled away!

11. Randall Barringer

Save it like I would.
    I do dumb shit constantly.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

oneof3k likes this.
  12. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

In the time I've been following your build thread, the only dumb shit thing I've seen is your question about what the fuel selector switch on the dash is for :whistling:.

13. Randall Barringer

Please don't bring that up.
    I reread it and want to hide.
    Thank you, sir!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

14. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Do you want to borrow some of my rust to hide under?

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  15. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

DS Work Begins....

After taking a few minutes off (after completing the PS sheet metal replacement), I started on the DS. The first thing I did was to fit the kick plate patch panel. For over an hour. After getting a headache as it was not fitting very well, I gave up and moved towards Barb's rear end. Plz, keep the responses civil! On the Quarter panel exterior, I have two issues; one a moderate-sized dent at the front of the rear wheel well, and two, some cancer just aft of the outer rocker.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

At one point or another, I was planning to purchase a pre-fabed quarter panel patch like I did for the PS to address the above issues (Option A). However, as I lost the fortune I never made, I contemplated option B which was a home-made panel from a bad rocker I had received (see post # ?? earlier). At the same time, I started addressing replacement of the fuel tank side supports that were rusted.

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

Because I had to cut out both what was left of the horizontal fuel tank support and a portion of the outer side, I opted to cut more of the latter out then needed. This allowed me access to the dent shown above. After some 45 minutes of H & D work, I was able to get 90ish % of the dent out.

IMG_0560.jpg

The other 10% might take me like three months :taz:. But that little maneuver led to Option C: a mini patch for the cancer.

IMG_0563.jpg

Pic of cut out rust. I would probably get a lot more done if I didn't take the time to temporarily install other replacement metal and then day dream!

IMG_0575.jpg
    During cut out of the outer fuel tank side support, I took the time to remove it in one piece so as to use it as a template. Here's where I am today.

IMG_0577.jpg

That's it until after the 4th as we are leaving for our annual wheeling vacation to the San Juans, one of my most favorite things to do.

16. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

Good work with the hammer and dolly

oneof3k likes this.
  17. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Hammer and dolly work is not rocket science for the rough stuff. It's the fine tuning that's more art then science! Proper access is the key and in many locations, that's just not possible.

18. oneof3k

oneof3k Farmall Cub

Heater Ducts in the Summer....

Been back for a few days and spent a bit of time playing with Barb. But first, for those of you who don't know about the San Juan's in SW CO, here are a few pics from this year's adventures. Hopefully y'all won't be pissed as (the San Juan's) really don't have much to do with Scouts. However, I think this area one of the most beautiful places in this great country, plus the Government (BLM mostly) allows us to tromp around on her grounds.

Pic of a ridge I call "the Sound of Music trail". Very few people know about this trail and in the 15ish years we've been playing there, this is only the second time I made it to the top due to too much snow in most years. The SW portion of CO received very little moisture this past year and is literally burning up.

IMG_0584.jpg

Near the top of the Sound of Music trail with our two clowns likely begging for some food.

IMG_0592.jpg

Lower portion of same trail. Treasure Mountain (Picayne Gulch) trail in the middle, Cinnammon Pass trail to right, and Engineer Pass trail in left background.

IMG_0596.jpg

View of Potosi Peak and Mt. Sneffels from an overlook off of Engineer Pass trail, with the rather pricey town of Telluride on the backside (and further uphill or left) of this range. Not sure, but these might be 14 ers.

Sneffles Etc..jpg

And some fun trails at the base of Engineer Pass with Denver Mountain in the background.

Engr Pass Down.jpg

The unofficial tally this year included about 80% heeps, 10% Toyota's of some sort or another, and 10% everything else. Sadly, no Scouts (but I did see a Scout II with the hood propped up a few miles from where we were camping so I guess that counts?).

I haven't quite got back into production mode this week, but I did a bit. To make some room for DS sheet metal work, I took out the pedals, the heat/defroster duct/plenum, and some electrical wiring. I feel somewhat blessed that it is not a nightmare behind the dash. Most of the limited non-stock wiring was done by me in the past (such as adding a fuse assembly and an auxiliary heater circuit).

under dash.jpg

I found a huge bounty in the ash tray :twocents:. Ones and fives darn it. But inside was the original cigarette lighter (cigar lighter in IH speak).

ash tray.jpg

I also made the DS quarter panel patch and went through the requisite "way too many hours" of tweaking. Doesn't everyone like a tight fit?

Patch quarter.jpg

Finally, because I was too lazy to fire up the welder today, I took a field trip up to Coonrods. In addition to purchasing a few parts for Nancy, I scored a replacement heater/defroster plenum for Barb. The PO cut a 2" hole in Barb's plenum for an amp gauge (which has been highly useful) but alas was not original. I believe it was easier, if not cheaper, to get a good part vs. trying to weld in a patch? It sure is nice to have a great Scout parts dude less than an hour away and who's prices are very reasonable. It's just too bad that very few 80/800 parts remain but he does constantly acquire more which means more trips for me :bananrap:. And I also learned the (subtle) difference between drum and disc brake steel wheels. (I plan on adding discs to Nancy but still use the turbine wheel covers/hubcaps). Some day. Some year. Some decade!

replacement defroster plenum.jpg

19. Randall Barringer

Heck, I see a quarter in there too!
    That patch is beautiful, keep it up.
    Every time I see the floors on yours, I think, "damn it, mine is really $hitty and I should get to work"

oneof3k and MrCypress like this.
  20. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

A bit late to the party, but I would highly recommend cross bracing the body (make a brace that bolts in using the striker and hinge mounting plates, could add a large turn buckle to help adjust the door gap/door opening and a X across the body behind the seats) BEFORE you cut out large portions of the body.

I too, falsely ASSumed that the frame and hard top would keep everything lined up when I chopped out the floors. Unfortunately for me...I didn't realize it until much later when I was in a larger garage and could actually look at the Scout from more than 2 feet away. AFTER I had welded in new floors, new body mounts, rocksliders and a whole bunch of other stuff...I ended up with door gaps that are 1/2" wide. Oh well, live and learn, not going to cut it all out and do it again, too much work!

oneof3k and Kenneth Barber like this.