Never Enough Champagne

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by oneof3k, Feb 27, 2018.

1. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Body Solder 201 (Or What Else Can I Use This Stuff For?)....

A few months ago I started putting blue painter's tape near specific areas that still needed to be addressed. Like a punch list. No, it is my punch list! I'm slowly whittling down the list, but, like bills that continually come in the mail, they seem to never end. Here's a quick summary of what I've been up to should anyone give a hoot.

I had several bolts and screws that did not make it out of the body alive the past few years. Usually the Phillips head stripped or I managed to shear the bolt in half as they were so rusted to the nuts. To these areas, I said Helicoil. (What a wonderful tool).

Not wanting to wait another 54 years for the floor pan to rust out again, I drilled "stock" drain holes in the DS and PS pans, and one for the fuel transfer valve. I'll get to the primer in a sec.

seat base primed3.jpg

Well, how many ways can I f*&^ up this time? Let me count the ways. I've owned a set of bimetal hole saws for such tasks. When I reached for the required hole saw for the fuel transfer valve, I saw a 1" on the side (the diameter of the valve body) and proceeded to drill said hole. When I test fit the valve, I saw a 1/16" gap all the way around the valve. WTF? Turns out I grabbed a 1-1/8" hole saw. And to add insult to injury, my kit didn't even come with a 1" saw. Double WTF. All this even before :beer: thirty. Fix is in progress but not complete yet.

I finally welded the DS seat base to the floor pan and bulkhead. As I can't afford duct tape, I used painter's tape to mask off the areas that needed to be primed first (I use self etching weld through primer, but only where the areas are "buried"). Glad I took good notes on the exact location of the seat base.

seat base primed2.jpg

Fast forward to the first photo with the primer laid down. Then it was off to the races.

seat base installed.jpg

Here's a typical example of what happens when IH did not bother with primer between panels :no:.

Unfinished1.jpg

Here's a typical example of what I did to remedy this issue :yes:.

Primed11.jpg

I discovered a few pinholes in the upper reaches of the PS kick plate a week or so ago that were well hidden by the paint until I stripped that area. Should of just stopped before I got to this point :cornfused:.

Upper kick raw.jpg

Anyways, I picked away until I found good metal.

Upper kick raw2.jpg

I definitely was not in the mood for yet another patch, so I depressed the area slightly to make a very shallow bowl, and applied some body solder.

Upper kick soldered.jpg

And, one additional punch list item that I finally dealt with was one of the two screws/nuts that holds the high beam switch to the firewall was trashed. I drilled out the remnants of the screw but the hole in the nut was too large to tap (using the same #10 screw). So I did what any (in)sane person would do: filled in the enlarged hole with some body solder and then retapped it for a #10 screw! I placed some aluminum foil between the nut and my copper backing tool, then I tinned and finally packed the crap out of the hole with solder.

High beam repair1.jpg

High beam repair2.jpg

I don't know the shear strength of lead-free body solder, but I do know that it's pretty respectable. At one point I tried to "flatten" some solder so it would not roll around before melting by hammering it on my shop floor. It barely distorted. So I figure this repair will have sufficient strength to hold that high-torque high beam switch!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

Dang Ed ...you've been busy...and it's looking good.....I dont know if I'd trust that solder for threads for structural..but should be fine for the switch...

3. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Thx Sir! My "typical" day is around 3-4 hours before the boss lady says I have to go do something else! I really want to get some color on the body, even if it's just plain grey. With the uncharacteristic amount of rain we've been getting this summer, I'm getting a bit of flash rust on the body.

And I know what you mean regarding solder in structural situations. I just didn't want to buy another Helicoil kit for a single #10 hole!

4. mongocanfly

Around here it would be solid rust in about 10 min...yall are somewhat lucky with the dry environment

Randall Barringer likes this.
  5. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

Work on the sucker to relieve stress not increase it. Your work is excellent so you should be ok with it and remember even IH made some factory FU's.

Love the build.

Don B

oneof3k likes this.
  6. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I was thinking the same thing about my area!!

7. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Thx for the compliments Don. I'm going to finish this sucker no matter what, but little things like that really mean a lot to me :yes: and help keep me going. BTW, how was your vacation or whatever you've been up to the past several weeks?

I have relatively little stress in my life since I/we retired 2-1/2 years ago. Excessive rain is one things that gets me riled up though, especially if I don't notice the clouds in time and I'm pushing Barb back into the garage in the rain. On the flip side, CO, and most other western states have had a very mild wild fire season to date.

8. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

I have family matters to attend to and then next week I should be able to restart the work on my Scout! Hmmm maybe a portable shelter would work for you. hate to see any rain on your nice work.

Don B

oneof3k likes this.
  9. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Looking good Ed!! :)

oneof3k likes this.
  10. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Thx Jay! Haven’t heard much from you as of late. Too hot or too many vacations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Lol! Both! It has been unusually humid here so taking it slow!

12. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Well, Kate and I are up in Idaho and Montana looking for that aspen green turbo! So far we’ve seen more moose and mosquitoes then Scouts!

And I’m not sure if I should congratulate you, scold you, or curse you for selling the ‘69. But I respect your decision either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    jmait769 likes this.
  13. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Two and One Half to One....

We took a quick road trip up north for a wedding in Grand Teton and stayed for some exploration of the countryside to the west which we've never seen before the past eight days. While driving mostly on smaller roads, we, or at least myself, continually looked for Scouts. Sadly, we had very limited luck. In fact, I only spied a single Scout 80 in Idaho that I hadn't seen before. Surprisingly, we did not see any Scout IIs, which seem to be way more common IMO. This is one I've seen before in northern CO which I might have already posted here before? Sh!tter for ambiance only! (And don't worry, I slowed down to take this pic)!

Rand CO Scout 800.jpg

Before we left, I replaced the struts and shocks on the truck. In one of my few smart decisions I've ever made, I purchased (for $100 as I recall) a "new" set many years ago that had less than 50 miles on them from a dude who had to lift his Tundra right out of the bag. Took me 2-1/2 hours to R&R the DS, then only an hour for the PS! I mention this only to motivate myself for the next build; I trust it will also be finished some 2-1/2 times quicker than this one!

Also before we left, I went up to Coonrod's to pick up a pressure plate for the Lil Sh!t as one of the finger levers was pretty worn. I did find a pressure plate, but I also found a step bumper in reasonable condition that followed me home.

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

This bumper is slatted for the Lil Sh!t, as she came with a diamond-tread step bumper that is in poor condition. Too bad some PO welded the license plate bracket and some other stuff onto the bumper, but I should be able to grind those off if they bother me someday. BTW, the G shep in the pic is the ORIGINAL Lil Sh!t that CS #3 was named for!

I have ignored the windshield during this build so I thought I would work on that animal. Not bothering to take the time to see how other's have removed the glass, I just took a razor knife to the rubber (after letting it sit in the sun for a few hours) and cut away the seal. Glass almost fell out of the frame. Then I stripped off the paint.

removal.jpg

after stripping.jpg

So glad that Scout windshield frames do not seem to rust away like the Scout II's do.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  14. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Posting so I can stay notified of this great thread. I sort of lose track of it but now I won't! Inspiring to see the fantastic work being done here.

oneof3k likes this.
  15. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Awesome work as usual! Can’t say I read everything but the pictures tell a good story!

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  16. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Well it was a tough decision and its gone now but the good news is Krats is in the garage! Hope you trip is going well! Cool pic of that Police Scout!!

17. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Thx Jim! Where should I send my bribe payment for those overly kind words?

I couldn't stop laughing Josh. Reminds me of what I said to friends some 50 years ago whilst looking at girly magazines with a flash light under bed sheets.

That police Scout is an early 800 with a SV (266?). I stopped to look at it a couple of years ago; still had a headliner and a few things of note as I recall.

Well, it's currently raining cats and dogs, Yugos and Trabants, or just plain old H2O (along with the summer frozen ball variety of moisture) so it seems like a good time to update this thread. Trying like crazy to prep the body for some grey stuff but I always seem to run into more delays that need to be addressed. BTW, I've received some great advise the past few days regarding primers and paints from some fellow members here (via phone). I can't thank them enough for the info, but I can scold them for confusing the issues! Probably doesn't help the cause that I get distracted pretty easily with almost any other task! Some of these distractions include:

A couple of posts or so ago, I stated that I accidentally over drilled the fuel tank selector valve hole and that the repair was in progress (used a 1-1/8" vs. the needed 1" hole saw). I welded a second layer of metal to the underside of the floor pan and drilled out the correct size opening this time. And then I filled in the area on top.

Fule tank selector valve repair1.jpg

Fule tank selector valve repair2.jpg

Fule tank selector valve repair3.jpg

Yep, those are IH-branded bolt heads used to secure the valve to the floor pan (that's what came out of Barb and what's currently in the Lil Sh!t for you anal types).

Going back in time a tad, I've been experimenting with cleaning small fasteners using a tumbler. Pics of the tumbler, after some two days, and after perhaps 10 days in the tumbler. Before I put fasteners into the tumbler, I run each and every one through a tap or die. Is this the definition of a nuts and bolts restoration or a seriously messed up restorer? I think I need a referral to a good shrink! BTW, like probably everyone else, I bagged and labeled parts as they were removed. This particular bag, however, was from my "unknown" fasteners bag; those that I forgot to label or ended up on the garage floor until too late.

tumbler1.jpg

tumbler2.jpg

tumbler3.jpg

Going back in time some more, when I was taking the tailgate off, only two of the four screws came out alive. A while back I was able to remove one of those problem children, but not the other. For the last screw, I was using my left-handed drill and extractor set when the cobalt extractor broke off inside the screw! It sat that way for a long time with no resolution on the horizon. After numerous silly and not so silly attempts to remove the broken extractor, I purchased a set of full carbide drill bits. I was making some good progress (burned up only 4 or 5 drill bits) when one of the carbide tips broke off inside the cobalt extractor. Sh!t. After lots of :censored:, I was finally able to remove the carbide bit, then the remnants of the extractor, and finally the screw. Long hard fought battle that was!

A bit more recently and probably over a :beer: or three, I decided it was time to straighten the wire meshing for the bug/debris covers after some 54 years. Now I know for a fact that I need to see a shrink! While reinstalling the upper radiator cross brace, I noticed that one of the bolts was a bit mangled. So I went out back and swapped one from the Storage Shed!

bug screen repair1.jpg

I purchased a couple of extra windshields in the past just for the glass. Easy to remove, BUT I found out that the frame and glass in early Scout 80 windshields ('61 and '62) are about 1/8" shorter than the '63 ?? and later ones. (Not to mention that they are 5 hole vs. 7 hole for the tops). Plus, these early windshield frames are a bit wimpier then the later ones. I recall reading in the Scout Bible that about this time, IH improved the weather sealing. And apparently the frame itself. Not wanting to show my ignorance to the above, I temporarily installed a new rubber seal and checked the apparent fit of the glass. Looks to work just fine.

test fit.jpg

Between all the above distractions, I have been prepping the body for primer. Man, this takes forever! To date, I have the engine compartment and the front end ready to go. I think.

Engine bay1.jpg

Engine bay2.jpg

tub bottom1.jpg

If someone points out some rust, I think I'll break down and cry. And for those of us who bad mouth HF tools, the grinder in the above pic is some 20 years old. It single handedly stripped much of the paint off of Barb, cut hundreds of square feet of flagstone, and about everything else in the past. Yes, I've had to repair the handle, replace the plug, etc., but it still works. To bad the last two I purchased for this project have already taken the big poopie! (on to Makita, DeWalt, and Bosch grinders I am).

Lastly, I have a question for y'all. On the rear PS floor pan, IH installed a 1-3/4" drain hole and plug, and a 1" hole and plug in the same area. Anyone venture a guess what the 1" hole is for? It doesn't allow access to the fuel line fittings below. I'm going to drill this out for originality, but I'm just curious what it might be for.

Inkeddrain hole_LI.jpg

800bman likes this.
  18. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Awesome work! Watching all the way keep up the fight!

oneof3k likes this.
  19. mongocanfly

Fule tank selector valve repair3.jpg

is that a IH carriage bolt?
    tumbler2.jpg

oneof3k likes this.
  20. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Greg, most people that might appreciate something in posts (or feel sorry for me) just hit the "like" button and not take the time to write it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But yes, that is indeed an IH carriage bolt; it was holding the under-the-radiator body mount bushing together. And because IH tried to put a square peg into a round hole, the head was tack welded to the lower cross brace in a couple of places! I may have to reuse this bolt in lieu of the ones that come with body bushing kits :cornfused:.