need vintage photos of Aristocrat tires

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by steve bridge, Sep 30, 2020.

1. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

I'm looking for tires and the internet says a lot, but not enough. I couldn't find anything here either. The line setting ticket reads: H70-15 2LRB PG RS. Couldn't find any info on the 2 LRB or PG, but I assume RS is for Red Stripe. I'm thinking I can go a little wider, like a 275-60. Original tires were 28 inches tall by just under 9 inches wide. A 275-15 is 28 inches tall, but another inch wider. The originals were Redline, but there don't seem to be any redlines in a size close to the original at least not Coker. I imagine a whitewall could be stained red.

Went to the Wisconsin Historical, they had a photo of an Aristocrat with brown doors and brown roof. WTH?
    Is there a photo section here on BP? As I remember, the original tires had a a square edged profile.

2. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Maybe check sites like ebay for original adds.

3. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

If you had a copy of International Scout Encyclopedia you would find out about the Brown Door Scout prototype.

I don't think the H70-15 Redstripe is being repopped, just the G70-15. As to the shorthand, I haven't looked into the Restripes but given what I know about LSTs, it was internal shorthand. It's not really that important because we know what tire they were. I know of a couple of Aristocrats with the G70-15 Redstripe repops and they look good. Otherwise, just find the closed modern size and, yeah, you can dye a whitewall red! At least I've seen it done!

4. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

I've spent some time hunting and I believe you are correct, no one is making an H70 repop. Didn't look, but I assume the G70 is probably an inch shorter than the original 28 inch diameter. I want the original height for the Speedo and highway driving. I'm thinking the original tires had a square edge, so that's what I have been looking for in tires. There are BF Goodrich TA's with a red stripe, for over $300 each. They must heat bond a red ring to the carcass. Not doing that kind of rebuild, but I plan to visit a tire retread factory here in town to see if those red rings are available to them. I found some Firestones with a pretty square edge for $125 each. More in my budget. BTW, that retread place will sell tire goo that you can take home to fix a chunk missing from a tractor tire using a clothes iron to cure it.