Need help finding parts mv404

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Mr.Friend, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

Took the alternator off, it was packed full of dirt-dobber mud.. its seems as though the shaft may be bent, the fins behind the pulley would get closer and farther away when you spin the pulley. Opened it up, cleaned out the the mud the best I could, put it back together. Took it to the parts store, their machine is down.. Just gonna take it to a guy in town that rebuilt my starter a couple weeks ago, see if he can rebuild it and see what that does.

jeff campbell likes this.
  2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Good idea

3. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

When you had it opened up for cleaning, you could have replaced the bad parts at the same time.
    ie. brushes, diode trio, volt reg.
    Replacing the bearings (2 each) would have taken an additional five minutes and your alternator would be rebuilt and ready for reinstallation.

4. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

I got the alternator back today, he had it done in just a couple hours but didnt get to him until today. Put it on, ole truck fired RIGHT up! I'm sorry I doubted you!

However, the new water pump is talkin to me.. I say new, it's a reman. I loosened the belts some, made sure they are still pulling, helped a lot! But still has a little chirping going on. The old pump didnt make any kind of racket and you could wobble it with one finger.

5. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

No problem. I did the same thing about 47 years ago. That's when I taught myself how to rebuild an alternator.

jeff campbell and Mr.Friend like this.
  6. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

The truck runs great until the engine gets warmed up then it backfires here and there and doesn't rev quite as good as when it's cool. Is that timing or carb adjustment?

7. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

What is the timing set at now??? and at what engine RPM?

A carb issue could be one or more of several things as the carb has several fuel circuits: idle, accel pump, secondary, enrichment, etc.
    Plus choke operation. Do you have manual choke or divorced choke or automatic (heated) choke??
    It appears you have the Holley heated auto-choke on the right side of the carb. Does it operate properly??
    Your truck has been sitting for a while as I recall, you could still have some old fuel in it, dirty carb from fuel or air, or simply need a good disassembly, cleaning and refresh with a rebuild kit.

Which carb do you have? Looks like a Holley 2 barrel 2300G. List number: 7213 and IH part number: 465528-C91. (from your photo). I would say that is the original carb, hang on to it. Rebuild it.

Do you have an IH Service Manual for your truck?
    I do not have specs for that carb in my manuals.
    A rebuild kit will come with instructions and proper adjustment settings for your application.

Mr.Friend likes this.
  8. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

Mr.Friend and jeff campbell like this.
  9. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

On the ignition side of things, possible causes for backfiring, missing etc.:
    Faulty spark plugs, faulty secondary ignition wiring, faulty centrifugal advance, faulty vacuum advance, excessive air gap of the pickup, worn distributor bushings.

You should have Champion spark plugs p/n RBN-13Y or equivalent.
    Spark Plug Gap is .030"
    Air Gap of pickup coil is .008" (check only with electrical power OFF)
    Initial timing is 9° BTDC at idle (with vac adv hose disconnected and plugged) at 600 RPM.
    Firing Order is 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8
    Distributor Rotor rotates CCW (counter clockwise)
    Engine Governed speed is 3,800 RPM (no load) and 3,600 RPM (loaded).

Mr.Friend likes this.
  10. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

I did clean and rebuild the carb, and put a new electric fuel pump on, it's a 5-7 psi. It's a manual choke and governed. And I cleaned the cab fuel tank the best I could before i ran the fresh carb. Those saddle tanks are long gone.. I do have a truck repair manual, not an IH service manual. Got it from a guy at work. And it has quite a bit of info in it, but not just real in depth info.
    20200408_173552.jpg 20200408_173540.jpg 15863859232424096153863947225123.jpg

11. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

Motor Repair Manuals are OK as far as they go, but they do not have the detailed info that the IH Service Manuals have.

Mr.Friend likes this.
  12. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Very correct. Motors is just basic info.

Mr.Friend likes this.
  13. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

Well I got the ole thing running better just by fiddling with the carb, haven't had a chance to time it yet. It idles really good but it stumbles a little until it gets over about 1200 rpm then it runs and revs just fine. There is an older feller down the road that has a couple sand drags and has had many drag cars over the years, so I'm hoping he could help me time it and get the carb adjusted better. I'm only 24 and haven't been around older vehicles like this much, so I'm still learning

14. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

Also, I have come across a '71 1010 pickup.
    Supposedly it's been in one family since it was bought new, garage kept, and has 40,000 miles on it, 304 automatic. I haven't been able to see it yet. Screenshot_20200505-054006_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200505-054041_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200505-053953_Facebook.jpg
    They have the original steering wheel too. Not sure why they took it off. Are those original wheels??
    I am considering buying it. They are asking 8500, if it's the real deal, is it worth that??

15. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

It looks nice, but look very carefully underneath for rust. Especially rockers' and floor. Look under the body mounts and in places where debris accumulates. You honestly not that worried about a mechanical issue but more about body damage and most especially rust. Anyone can swap out a transmission and an engine rebuild will set you back 3 grand but a rust body can set you back 10 or more PR even be a total loss.And can hide under a fresh paint job. Doing a halfass bondo job and tjrowing a spray and pray pai t job on top of it,and then selli g it for 10 or 20 grand is totally a thing. But the pictures look really nice.

Mr.Friend likes this.
  16. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

Right! Definitely gonna look for rust!