Need help finding parts mv404

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Mr.Friend, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

Not hard to find minimally rusted metal like that in Wyoming-- the problem is it tends to be beat up from the feet up.

2. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

Just down here in Oklahoma! It does have some rust and I can imagine its not easily repairable being where it's at. I'm guessing the cabin air intake in between the hood and the windshield wasnt draining water as it should have, because underneath the corners of the windshield, the dash is rusted out. You can lay in the floor and look up underneath the dash around the floor vents and see daylight.. in this first pic, you can see some of the wires in the dash 20200229_201122.jpg 20200229_201300.jpg 20200229_201139.jpg

3. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

My 1310 had similar rust in almost the same spot.

Mr.Friend likes this.
  4. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Very common scenario on the round body trucks and T-alls which share a similar cab to your truck , many threads and info available with a little searching , Some patch panels
    are available but the each truck has it's own unique way of rusting out they rarely cover it all.
    Cowl Repair Panel, '60-'68 Pickup/Travelall

Mr.Friend likes this.
  5. Chris Keck

Chris Keck Binder Driver

Cowl rust is very common and complex to repair. Here is one i did awhile back. Try Rockauto for parts, they show mv parts for the later S series trucks 1979+. I just picked up a 1975 1700 with a mv404. P1010001.JPG P1010001.JPG P1010004.JPG

6. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

Nice work! Did you buy that panel or fab it yourself?

Robert Bishop likes this.
  7. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Very nice. Looks factory. Many hours !

8. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

What a great looking repair job !!!

9. Chris Keck

Chris Keck Binder Driver

thanks for the kind words. I built and fabricated the pieces myself, i think each side was 11 separate pieces welded together about 30 hours each side. I have to do the same to my 1970 1600 Loadstar project this summer, on it i will eliminate the fresh air vents. P1010021.JPG

Mr.Friend likes this.
  10. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

Awesome work! Keep it up!

Chris Keck likes this.
  11. Rattail

Rattail Farmall Cub

What a beautiful example, I’m jealous, good luck with your parts

Mr.Friend likes this.
  12. wjajr

wjajr Binder Driver

From 250 miles north of Sudbury

Cowl air plenum rust, been there, got the tee shirt, actually I have many more of those HI PU tee shirts all of which have grinder spark holes exposing my gut. It's a tough area to rehabilitate including the gut.

Kevin from Sudbury:
    "Man !! Where are you finding all this straight and not rotten IH metal ?? In my neck of the woods it would
    be doing great to find the tailgate chains in one piece."

I got my truck from a damp garage at my brother-in-law's camp in Strong, ME., PO had built a nice oak body with solid sides, and toss the rotted stepside on the nearest stone wall... It was close to just the tailgate chains lingering. I left it to finish composting.

This is the point where this post goes off the HI rails:

Kevin, first week of April I had a chance to ride to Wayland with my old car buddy to have his 91 Silver Spur II's ride leveling problem diagnosed, but turned the trip down due to the plague now laying waste to all Walmart stores and other TP sellers. We have been working on this overly complicated heap for a year. Trust me, that thing is way more expensive to get back on the road than a free IH Pick-up. Next time he has the need to drop a wad over at your local euro trash peddler on Rt 20, I'll give you a heads up.

For those out there in Binder land that haven't gone blind by now from reading "euro-trash" above post, that car has hydro boost brakes, electronically controlled rear load leveling and PS. A 30 year old ride control black box we haven't been able to identify & don't have the technology to test is buried somewhere in the car. Car has about 100 relays, scattered between front and rear bumpers tucked in everywhere, 32 of which are housed on two ECUs to control power left front & rear, and right front and rear seats. Relays even control a slave to select gears at the transmission dictated by column shift lever position.

13. wjajr

wjajr Binder Driver

Chris K:
    "Cowl rust is very common and complex to repair. Here is one i did awhile back."
    You can say that again.

You have inspired me to redo that vent area I had patched in when replacing both A Pillars. The replacement pillars were cut just to the outer side of where windshield wiper drive passes through fire wall about in line with steering column down to floor. I'm not satisfied with my welding of plenum floor to junk yard A pillar to cab metal. Seeing your solution cutting the outer sheet metal exposing floor and inner vertical wall of plenum is what I need to do to achieve a durable watertight repair. Work on those two vent locations will begin once the roof caved in by a large stick of wood, and B-in- law's kids dancing on it 20 years ago has proved to be long road to correct.

Any tips on repairing rust through above windshield corners at roof line?

14. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

My friend , You have just named my next binder , Whatever it may be , It will
    lovingly be called " Compost Heap" :1eye:

I will have to update my location ,I have recently bought a small farm in Royalston Ma, with room enough for many many
    projects ( IH's ) and plenty of shacks to hide them from wifey in :1eye:
    I was born and raised in Sudbury and will try to remember it as the quiet farm town 40 minutes outside of Boston instead
    of the overpriced yuppy town it has become .
    Royalston still has many good years before it catches up to the mainstream suburbs closer to the city and reminds me of Sudbury when I was young .
    My new town boasts a whopping population of 2000 ,state parks galore , mostly self sufficient yankees in pickup trucks gather at the one store in town.
    Best of all the area seems to be well stocked with IH tractors/trucks and people fond of the Legacy of International Harvester .

15. wjajr

wjajr Binder Driver

16. wjajr

wjajr Binder Driver

Well who would think anyone in the Commonwealth of Mass., cradle of independence, name a town Royalton. Loyalists must have been early settlers of the berg. 2000 population is about the same size as my little town, my taxes are a lot lower even for a Peoples Republic annexed from Mass in 1820. Sudbury was a yuppy hot bed when we lived in Hudson c1978. Sudbury was the only town I ever saw a Morgan when puttering around in my 1959 Bug Eye Sprite. That up tight, pancake hatted snot, wouldn't return a wave as two leaking, Lucas equipped English roadsters passed by... Close as I have been to Royalton was a trip to Winchester, NH to pick up two doors for my 1200B project, nice country.

17. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

https://performancedistributors.com/product/international-harvester-mv404-446-dui/

Has anyone used one of these before? I was googling torque specs for my truck and came across it. I would like to get rid of the original ignition on my ole truck at some point. Its running very well at the moment, except when going down the road and slightly in the throttle, it'll miss and jerk around slightly. I've adjusted (with the help of an experienced gentleman) everything that can be adjusted, and haven't been able to get that little miss figured out.

18. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

That seems expensive. What distributor is in the truck? I would think you could do an upgrade to the GM 4 terminal HEI. Bill Hamilton has an excellent write up here about it for SV engines. I did it to my Holley points distributor on my 73 304. Did it with the distributor in the truck.

19. Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend Farmall Cub

I have talked with Bill already actually, just putting options on the table. My truck has the electronic, Holley "gold box" ignition. The distributor and the holley carb are both governed. 20190907_091145.jpg

20. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

He has a Holley "Gold Box" electronic ignition distributor.
    Model 1530 with governor and vacuum advance.
    IH P/N 446921-C92.
    He could do the Bill Hamilton upgrade or a PerTronix unit for much less than the $450 DUI.

Mr.Friend, RinTX and jeff campbell like this.