My Scout Rebuild

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by zangtong, May 18, 2020.

1. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

Have been a member lurking for a long time so I thought I'd give this a go and see if it can't help organize me a bit. I bought my first scout; a 1977 Traveller with the pull button 4wd, in 1982 when I was 16 for $500. I drove that on and off over the years and put about 300000 miles on it. I would buy a car that met my fancy every couple of years that I would blow up in one manor or another and then drive the scout again until I had paid off the last automotive adventure and start another. In the mid 90's I decided to rebuild the scout so I bought a 2wd traveller from San Jose Cal with a really nice body and had it shipped to Niagara Falls NY. I picked it up there and drove it home about 350 miles. I then bought a a 1980 Midas Traveller in Brockville ON that was a wreck but had some really nice parts. I also picked up a Terra top and bed wall in Glen Falls NY. I then pulled them all apart and built my 76,77 and 80 frankenscout.

It looked pretty good and ran well. In the early 2000's I took it apart to get some body work straightened out and get it repainted because I had been playing a little to rough with it as people tend to do with 4WD's and unfortunately the new paint went south. Since my wife and I were starting a family there was not a lot of time/money to correct the problem and I decided to just chuck all the parts in it and put it away for later.
    Well it's officially later, so I thought it time to get it out of storage.
    scout-outofstorage.jpg

A little dusty, fuel system completely borked and needs a starter, a ring gear, battery, paint and to be reassembled. As it turned out some little critters had made a home in it which created several other issues that leads to a complete rewire, new guages as well as a new stereo system.

To that list I decided to:
    add wood bed rails,
    a solid tonneau cover
    an android auto touch screen that fit into an 8-track player from the proper era.

At this point I have replaced the gas tank and lines, replaced the coil and points, replaced some of the shock boots and replaced the universal joints everywhere.

For the tonneau cover a found a wrecked SolidFold aluminum cover from a guy in Ottawa and cut it down to fit the scout. It was a tri-fold but is now a bi-fold with a little extra that I am thinking of creating a toolbox under.
    This shows 1 panel cut down to size and reassembled and the other still the original size.
    scout-tonneau1.jpg
    This is after I cut down the other panel
    scout-tonneau2.jpg
    I screwed up at the beginning because I assumed the truck just ran straight back and made my first cut square. Turns out scouts aren't square, either are full size trucks for that matter :)
    I have started to create covers for a tool box behind the roof. I drew new versions of the connectors on the original tonneau cover in Sketchup and then redesigned them to move around the truck roof. I 3D printed them and they worked pretty well.
    scout-tonneau4.jpg

I have recreated the corner pieces as well and just have to create a new part for between the 2 lids (driver side/passenger side). I'm not sure exactly how I want it to work so I stalled here.

I have rewired the front lights and the engine and it is running once again. Just the dash and tail lights left to wire.
    For the gauges I wanted to buy a new dash with the holes already in it but the shipping was as much as the part to Canada and our dollar is next to worthless at the moment so I decided to do it myself.
    scout-dash.jpg scout-dash2.jpg
    I'm a pretty crappy welder and a worse body repair guy so hopefully the gauges cover enough :)
    The other thing I have started to work on was adding a 10" touch screen that I can disconnect and through in the center console easily.
    I bought a bunch of 8 track tapes and an old broken 8 track player off of ebay before all this virus started up. I gutted the player and 3D printed some parts to make the needed electric and audio connections to:
    scout-radio.jpg I also printed a mount part that attached the screen to the tape:
    scout-radio1.jpg scout-radio2.jpg
    Well that's where I'm at up to now. I will update as I make progress.

Attached Files:

2. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks a scout can go 160mph. All joking aside, I love the idea of a tonneau cover I just want to figure out how to do it with a roll cage

3. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

Use a Terra show bar and build the cage forward to the windscreen :^)

4. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

Nice to see another Canadian, especially one with a Traveler. Where abouts are you?

Don B likes this.
  5. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

Hi. I'm in Maxville just east of Ottawa about halfway to Montreal.

6. TravelerMan79

Perhaps when things settle down with this COVID 19 stuff, we can meet. I would like to see what another one looks like that is in better shape than mine. I'm looking for doors and a tailgate amongnst other things, so if know of any it would be great.

7. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

I definitely have doors, I had a midas top with double moon roofs but I'm not sure I still do. I might have a traveller tailgate but not a short body tailgate.

8. TravelerMan79

Cool. I've heard of moon roofs, but have not seen any. I'll PM you later today.

9. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

10. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

Attached Files:

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  11. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

I thought they were kind of neat so I had kept the roof. Never used them because I converted the truck to a terra. I'm not sure the roof is still on the lot. It might have been tossed. Thanks for the link, a Canadian supplier!

12. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

Still have mine. Been planning to repair the roof to get ride of the leak for years. Still planning :)

NorOntScout

Sent from my BV9700Pro using Tapatalk

13. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

Semi working android auto for my scout 8 track touchscreen, pretty excited about how well the 3D printed bezel turned out.
    20200524_214006.jpg

Darrel and TravelerMan79 like this.
  14. TravelerMan79

I just use a RAM amount to rest my iPad on the dash of my Lexus. This is a really cool project. Looking forward to seeing it installed.

15. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

Well the scout is all apart and at the painters, should be complete this week. Using epoxy primer and then a roll on bed liner in the back. I am going to do the bed and bed rails in black walnut, anyone here have any advice on doing the bed in wood?
    scout-painting.jpg scout-box.jpg

16. TravelerMan79

That will look awesome. Are you getting it from KJP Select Hardwoods in Ottawa?

17. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

No I deal with a local kitchen shop. I will buy 4/4 raw and mill it myself

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

18. zangtong

zangtong Farmall Cub

Well the old girl is back on the road. Still a few things to finish up: install windshield motor and wipers, truck bed and rails, finish tonneau cover and stereo and need to find a side view mirror I like. Also have to find a 2.5 to 3" wide black moulding or buy the missing pieces of the original mouldings and install them.
    20200810_093935.jpg 20200810_093948.jpg 20200811_213218.jpg 20200825_191342.jpg 20200827_191938.jpg 20200829_134455.jpg 20200903_213238.jpg 20200909_204849.jpg 20200909_215110.jpg 20200911_230400.jpg 20200912_212829.jpg scout2020.jpg

TorqueMonster1 and TravelerMan79 like this.