My new IH fridge and welcome to the club!

Discussion in 'Irma's Place' started by retrofridgefreak, Apr 19, 2013.

1. retrofridgefreak

retrofridgefreak Farmall Cub

New progress on my IH… pics below of the before and after of the bottom of the IH cabinet which was completely destroyed from moisture of time. A buddy and I replaced the panels with new metal and re sprayed all corners and bottom panels with a rubber sealant. Now moving forward there should be no issues with moisture eating away at the bottom panel.

I also am continuing on re spraying the condenser panel inside and outside. Working on wire wheeling and painting all of the small parts and pieces. Also working on some detail work on the logos and trim. More pics to come through out this process as well.

Attached Files:

2. bonehead

bonehead Farmall Cub

Great progress... looking very sweet indeed. The repair to the bottom panel looks like it will last another 50 years for sure. keep the updates coming!

3. retrofridgefreak

That means my son will have to restore my work at some point! lol...:cornfused:

4. retrofridgefreak

Restoration update!....

Attached are before and after pics of the main International Harvester Logo on the front fridge door. For some reason the previous owner had got some annoying glue on the left side of the logo which would not come off and discolored the logos plastic. I took a car lens kit to it and the main logo turned out nice but that left side of the logo still looked bad.

I stripped all of the old paint out of the lettering as it was pealing and hand painted the white back into the logos lettering. Now due to my frustration of the discoloration on the left side of the logo I decided to just paint over these spots and create a new look for the logo which I think looks sweet and still looks factory. I repainted this copper and as well repainted the lines around the trim. The back splash to this logo I hit with copper paint as well.

Let me know what you think!!!

Attached Files:

5. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

Looks sharp!

6. retrofridgefreak

Got allot done this weekend with my buddy! We sanded all of the old paint off and primed the butter dish, freezer door , main cabinet and the door. We then prepped the primer for paint sanding the pieces many times with different grit sand papper.

Time for the color! :clap:

Attached Files:

7. retrofridgefreak

Laying down the new paint! This IH is going to be sexy as :censored:

Attached Files:

8. retrofridgefreak

Here she is with her new skin! Boy I think she looks amazing and hasn’t been treated this well since being in the factory in 1955! These pics where taken right after we sprayed the new paint. We will be wet sanding the paint today now that it is cured. A good buffing will right after and new pics will be posted shortly after that!

Let me know what you think! More assembly pics coming soon! Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

9. bonehead

bonehead Farmall Cub

Looking great, that fridge has come a long way! Can't wait to see the finished resto.

10. Jammin78

Jammin78 Farmall Cub

Louisville, KY born and raised in Bardstown, KY
  11. retrofridgefreak

Last night I re painted the white decorative trim that goes around the outside of the IH door. Let me tell you I was so pissed at the previous owner… who took very bad care of this IH and let it get so bad. I had tried everything to get the rubber clean and nothing worked. So I went to the auto supply store and picked up a can of white vinyl paint and hit the rubber trim with it. It looks brand new now which I am very happy about now.

I hope that the vinyl paint will be flexible enough to not crack when I put it in the door tonight. Also I am hoping to give the new paint job a good wet sand and buff.

More to come!

This is when it starts to get exciting and see all of my restless days and nights thinking about this project start to come to life. When the fiancé says what are you thinking about? And she wants me to say "our wedding plans and decorations of course" But the fact is I say " I am sad to say this t you but I am thinking about the damn fridge and what I want the end vision and color scheme to look like" and of course I get a priceless look back from her that I am pretty sure I will see many times in the future! Lol

So attached is a before of the IH when I first took on the project sor you can remember what the trim looked like and then I attached after pics.

Attached Files:

12. retrofridgefreak

Well I made some great progress yesterday as we wet sanded and buffed all of the new paint. I took her home and gave the paint a good wash to get the residue off. With the little time I had left last night I put on some of the door trim accessories and it is looking so sweet! More to come after tonight!

I will be working on this thing every night now getting her back together. Every part I put back together looks so so so good and it is nice to see my imagination come out and be expressed through the IH in reality!

Attached Files:

13. bonehead

bonehead Farmall Cub

That fridge is looking insanely cool!! The color really pops with all the trim being added. Keep the updates coming.

PS. In response to your comments in the previous post about you thinking about the fridge instead of something the wife feels is more important... I have gotton that look from your mother many times... Been there, done that, got the T-shirt... Ha! Restoration is fun, ain't it??

14. retrofridgefreak

Main cabinet fiberglass completed with new R-13. The door is next tonight if I can get my parts from the powder coater today!

Attached Files:

15. retrofridgefreak

Here are two assembly pics from the weekend. We successfully married the cooling unit to the tube and installed it into the cabinet again. I sat the fridge on end for 24 hours and did a fax out on the compressor and electrical. I plugged her in and she fired right up and she started purring like a kitten. The longer she sat there and ran the better she sounded. The freezer box began to get cold and I was happier than a pig in fresh mud! I remember when I bought this fridge from the previous owner when I went to look at it he had it plugged in. It did not even come close to sounding as good as it does now!

More to come….

Attached Files:

16. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

Not sure what you meant by "sat the fridge on end for 24 hours and did a fax out on the compressor and electrical. Please explain. All refrigerators stand on end, and I have never heard of "faxing" anything that didn't involve a facsimile machine.

Also, refresh my memory. Did you stick with the original compressor, or did you change anything out to modern equipment? If you stuck with the original, what did you do that made it sound better?

17. retrofridgefreak

Nope it’s the original pan cake “tight wad” compressor in this IH. What I meant was due to the fact I separated the cooling unit i.e. compressor, condenser and freezer box all as one piece it was stored in my garage for 3 months on its side so that it was not twisted or jolted. I didn’t want the coolant lines to be compromised. When I married the cooling unit back with the refrigerator tub and cabinet I also had to roll it on its back to install all of the tub brackets. After all of that wacky placement of the compressor I wanted to keep the whole unit in its normal position for 24 hours before I fired her up. I wanted to be sure if there was any sediment in the compressor that it settled before I plugged her in.

By “fax out” this is a production term I use for ringing out the system or testing. Before I put everything back together I wanted to be sure the wiring was correct, fridge light worked with the door switch and the freezer box was cooling. If I ran into any issues I could address them while pieces where still exposed. Once this was complete I buttoned her right up.

As far as the perfect purr she had… When I picked this old fridge up from the guy I bought it from he had it plugged in for me. When I looked at it I mean even the by the pics in the front end of this thread it was just miss treated and not taken care of. The fridge was cold but it had a little clinking noise to the compressor. It also just didn’t sound to efficient. I re wired the entire fridge, cleaned and restored all of her parts. When I did my fax out she sounded so much better and efficient. It just sounded happy to be alive again and loved!...Lol

18. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

when i 1st seen the pics, the reflection made it look like a big dent ! till i clicked on it, lol, nice job ! look's very good. jeff

19. retrofridgefreak

Here are the final pics of my restoration of the 1955 IH. She is all polished up and plugged her in last night with some drinks. There will be minor tweaks in the future of this fridge but over all she is running beautifully and keeping my drinks cold in style. The compressor kicks off when fridge is to temperature which I am thrilled with as it means the thermostat is doing its job correctly. In the future I will be re chroming the door handle and IH badge trim and freezer door handle. I will then also get the two strips on the front horizontal logo and the insert of the door latch on the inside of the door panel done in copper.

Anyone have any tips for me now that this girl is alive and working! It is a manual defrost and has a water container on the left side. When the freezer is frozen with ice just turn the thermostat off and let un thaw and allow for the water to run into the catch all? Leave the door open for this or keep it closed? Does the water catch all need emptied more than once during defrost? I just am looking for tips so that I am not learning as I go!

I hope you all have like my journal throughout my 1955 IH restoration project! This was my first restoration and defiantly my first antique fridge. This IH will be in my life for a long time and hope to be able to pass it down to my kids that I will have in the future!

Attached Files:

20. retrofridgefreak

Interior shots and Before and after exterior shots.

Attached Files: