My Kwikwire 14 + ScoutII Diagram

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by oneillc22, Sep 25, 2020.

1. oneillc22

oneillc22 Farmall Cub

For anyone who hasn’t done a kwikwire set, the circuit numbers are different from stock IH numbers. I drew up a diagram for my upcoming project and wanted to see if it had any glaring issues. I tried mating the kwikwire diagram with a remote starter solenoid idea and I think I got it right. Prior wiring was for a Holley goldbox 76 Scout II 345

https://imgur.com/a/9upmIoW

Attached Files:

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

The one glaring issue I see is with respect to your auto trans NSS wiring. It won't work the way you have it. You will need to refer to your FSM diagram for proper guidance. Your NSS is a three terminal combo switch. The outer two terminals provide the reverse light circuitry and the center terminal provides a temporary path to ground to the NS relay under your dash when the gear selector is in either P or N. So you absolutely CANNOT connect a switched power feed to that center terminal. It will make sparks if you do.

3. oneillc22

oneillc22 Farmall Cub

That NSS was kind of the last thing I included. Maybe I’ll bypass it like people do anyhow. Just need it for reverse lights, right?

4. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Here are some of my comments:

1. The ford remote solenoid is going to get filled rather quickly on the constant 12V+ terminal. You may want to consider a dedicated junction point. You may run out of threads with all the terminals on there.
    2. Your alternator #2 terminal needs to go to that common distribution point (be it the ford remote solenoid or a new junction point). Picking up the voltage sensing right at the back of the alternator defeats the usefulness of this feature.
    3. I don't see any fuse protection at the alternator main feed or at the #10 main feed to the Kwik Wire panel. You can use MIDI inline fuses and holders which are very convenient and can handle 30 -200 amps depending on your needs.
    4. A #8 feed from the alternator to the common distribution point would be more than enough if you wanted to make it easier. I know you'll already have the #4 wire so it may be more convenient to just use it.
    5. NSS comments as Trever mentioned.
    6. Admittedly, I am not familiar with the Kwik Wire panel so my comment that the #1 alternator terminal should be off the I3 terminal of the ignition switch with the proper resistance may not matter. Does the Kwik Wire have the required resistance (via resistor or idiot light) incorporated into that circuit?

See my link in my sig for more rewire info. I also attached some handy ref pictures.

Attached Files:

RinTX likes this.
  5. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

You can bypass the NS switch by doing just what IH did for the standard trans equipped SII as noted in the FSM. What they did in that case was run a short jumper between the appropriate two terminals of the under dash NS relay. Your Start trigger must still run from the Ignition switch Start terminal to the NS relay and then on out to the starter solenoid 'S' terminal in either case. This is the circuit that the K-wire instructions are telling you to run to the trans NS switch, which is a no-no for the TF 727.

jeff campbell likes this.
  6. oneillc22

oneillc22 Farmall Cub

I really appreciate all of you who took the time to respond. My manual is with my engine builder now so it’s taking me longer to plan out this rewire. I miss my book. The biggest take away from your responses was my lack of understanding with the neutral safety switch.

I decided against bypassing the nss. Choosing to include the nss hasn’t been easy when shopping for parts. I drew up another sketch of how I understand the nss working and an idea to incorporate a Bosch style relay since it is the most common and easy to source part. Is jumping the 30 and 86 prongs a no-no to make this work? My other idea is finding a generic horn relay since 3 prong relays aren’t as cheap.

Attached Files:

7. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

I think that looks pretty good! Jumping the two terminals on the Bosch relay is OK. I've done that before.