My AMC-powered '74 Scout II

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by jfadams304, May 23, 2019.

1. jfadams304

jfadams304 Farmall Cub

I bought this '74 Scout II with the AMC I6 (155k miles according to odo) back in March on Long Island and had it shipped up to me in the Boston area. The PO had done a SOA conversion (poorly), but largely left the truck stock. Due to the SOA, the drag link was a homemade mess to get around the springs. The frame is solid all around and the only bad rust is on the running boards (most of it repaired) and a small hole in the passenger side bulkhead. When I test drove the truck, all the PS fluid had drained out, but otherwise ran okay. This was a repo so I figured I would have some work to do, but with the condition of the body and frame, I decided to pull the trigger. Besides, this has been my dream vehicle for years and when better to buy an old truck than when you're young and dumb.

In early March, most days were in the teens so it wasn't particularly fun to work on it but I couldn't keep away. I quickly replaced the things I could (new wires, plugs, coil, wipers etc.) but quickly realized I may need a shop to help out with some of the work. The carb (a Holley 1940) was missing a few parts and didn't have a functioning choke, the PS gearbox was leaking heavily, the alternator was poorly wired, and the rear shock mounts were held together by 1/2 inch bolts welded to the frame. Luckily, I was able to link up with a good mechanic in the area and get moving on the big things.

To be continued, but here are some quick pics....

IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1564.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1521.JPG

tim vaughan likes this.
  2. Scoutboy55

Scoutboy55 Farmall Cub

Cool truck. Keep us updated!

jfadams304 likes this.
  3. jfadams304

jfadams304 Farmall Cub

When I got the truck to the mechanic a few weeks ago, I had them check the whole truck over and see if there were any glaring issue that needed to be addressed. Luckily, there wasn't any frame rot or new rust spots that I had missed, but there were a few additional things that needed to be addressed like a small radiator leak, rear drums in need of a rebuild and the taillights stopped working (probably a blown relay/switch).

While I had originally wanted to keep the truck SOA, the previous owner's cut and turn was horrendous (some pics of the welds below) so we decided to go back under the axle and slap some 4" springs on there to still be able to fit 33's on there. This would lower the overall lift by about 2 inches but will drive much better. By reversing the SOA conversion, the rear shock mounts needed to be redone but allowed us to return the tie-rod/draglink back to stock while reducing the driveshaft angle a little bit.

Old Axle welds.JPG Rear Shock Mount.JPG New Spring seat.JPG New Springs.JPG
    As of last week, the new suspension was completed with the new tires (Grabber X3s - 33x10.50xR15) fitted on the old Rallye wheels. I was trying to swap out the upper steering rag joint for a new Borgeson joint from Anything Scout but it appears my PS gearbox is from a later model so I need to swap for a smaller joint in order to get that squared away.

Front of truck w new lift.JPG Back with new lift.JPG
    All that's left to do now is to finish the carb, solve the taillight issue and wrap up the rear drums. Luckily for me, it's been rainy in the Boston area so I haven't had too many sunny days to make me want to drive it around. I plan on driving this old I6 until it blows up and then redoing the drivetrain. Part of me wants to keep it with the 4.2 lineage and drop the Golen Engines 4.6L Stroker in there. Anyone ever done that on a Scout?

-J

P.S. My next step is replacing the current seats. I've been looking at some Corbeau's (Moabs?) to fit a 4 point harness so if anyone has any tips on what they've done for a harness setup that would be great.

tim vaughan likes this.
  4. Alex

Alex Farmall Cub

The taillight issue is probably grounding.

5. jfadams304

jfadams304 Farmall Cub

Got to go see the Scout last week and check in on the progress. The guys have been doing a great job and have gone above and beyond by addressing some of my wiring concerns. Here's a before/after view of the 258:
    before.JPG after.JPG
    The carb still needs to get finished up and the hoses will be replaced, but its close to being done.
    The old harness has been replaced (thank God) and it's no longer a rat's nest in there. We discovered that they had been an electrical fire behind the dash so those old wires need to be replaced as well.
    The old exhaust was from a pontiac and not expertly installed. I've decided to rip it out and put the Dynomax Super turbo muffler on there.
    The new suspension is done. With the SOA, the overall lift was about 5.5"-6" and with the combo of the new 4" springs and 33" tires the truck has only come down about an inch or so.
    steering.JPG
    The steering has a new drag link and will soon be getting a steering damper installed shortly.
    Grabber X3 - 33 inch.JPG
    I'm a big fan of these Grabber's and can't wait to see them in action. I'm heading out of the country for a little bit so hopefully by the time I get back I can get it out on the road.

6. jfadams304

jfadams304 Farmall Cub

Quick updates but unfortunately no recent pictures to share:
    The old stock radiator has been recored and put back in.
    All the old hoses have been replaced with new ones. A new fuel line has been run.
    The dash electrical has been redone including new stock bulbs.
    The new exhaust system has been fitted.

There are only a few remaining items to wrap up like the old carb, and installing the new steering damper. It's been slow going finding the necessary parts for the carb (a Holley 1940 that's missing quite a few components) so we may just find another complete one to slap on there. The damper needs some fab work to fit my Scout properly as it's designed for the later years.

Once those are done, the whole truck will have pretty much gone through a total refresh or overhaul (in the case of the suspension).

7. jfadams304

jfadams304 Farmall Cub

It's been a few months since I've posted, but I've had the Scout back about a month now and put about 150-200 miles on everything. The truck drives great and I've had no major issues since getting it. Now I'm on to the part where I get to tinker with all the little things I can find. Next up is refreshing the roll-up windows....

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190814184354306_COVER.jpg

8. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Nice! Looks great.

jfadams304 likes this.
  9. jfadams304

jfadams304 Farmall Cub

There's been a lot of work done over the last several months. It was all kicked off with replacing a transmission mount that severely needed it. I believe I got the new mount from IHparts and it worked perfectly for my T19 and took about 15 minutes to install. Unfortunately, firming up my driveline had the unintended consequence of leading to an accelerated failure of my rear u-joint in my rear driveshaft which disconnected on the highway. Thankfully there was no body damage, but this led to a few more fixes over the next couple months...
    IMG_20191123_160939.jpg
    I asked my mechanic to look into my rear diff to see in the failure had cause any damage and it turned out that there was a failed bearing that had become lodged in one of the gear's teeth causing the whole assembly to hitch up. At this point I decided to regear to 4.10 and put a LSD in the rear. While that work was going, we also rebuilt the axles with new seals and bearings. It was obviously that the brakes needed to be rebuilt but I decided to do that on my own.

As a positive, I was able to put on some new bumpers from GRC Fabrication including a swingout in the rear. I highly suggest working with Randy if you're looking for easy installation of an aftermarket bumper. The front and rear installation only took a morning, but definitely required some additional hands. I love the way these look.
    IMG_20191214_144409.jpg
    I had the Scout in the storage unit here in Mass to avoid the snow and decided to try my hand at replacing the engine mounts and brakes myself. The engine mounts were surprisingly easy, but one piece of advice to any other AMC I6 owners is to not purchase from any of the scout vendors. They will try to charge like $80+ for what you can get from Autozone for less than 10 bucks. The part number is Motor Mount #2280. In fact the hardest part of changing the mounts was getting a tall enough jack. With the 33's and a 4 inch lift my bottle jack needed several 2x4's to make things work. After the mounts, I replaced the rotors, locking hubs and calipers on the front.

IMG_20200307_124142.jpg
    My only issue here was that the pads I ordered from Anything Scout only fit on one side so I decided to try the NAPA pads (Part #: SS SS7013) and they worked perfectly and did appear to be of slightly higher quality. The brake line needed immediate attention so I replaced those as well.

Up to the present day, the truck is currently at the shop awaiting a new clutch as well as getting the transmission and t-case resealed. Additionally, I will finally have a borgeson joint installed to firm up the steering. I am moving back down south at the end of the month so wanted to wrap up my last couple things before the move and I'm glad I did. The current clutch was down to the rivets. Another piece of advice to AMC I6 owners, both O'Reilly and Autozone have rockford style clutches that fit the scout. There is no need to pay the light line distributor premium or core charge. I was able to get mine from O'Reilly for about $370 (Part: PTQ K5426-1A).

Also, for anyone with the plastic fuel filler necks from earlier scouts, I found a metal one off a 78 scout through car-part.com from a yard in Milwaukee for $40. Compared to the $200-$300 from some sites that's a steal.

Overall the truck is doing amazing and with this last round of updates, it's getting close to the daily driver I want it to be. It's still slow as can be, but since it will be cruising south beach in a few weeks, I won't be in a hurry to get anywhere. If there are any south Florida scout owners on here, it'd be great to connect once I'm down there.
    IMG_20200503_184115 (1).jpg
    ^current state...might paint the axles before I go

-J

tim vaughan likes this.