My 72/73 Scout Rebuild

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Daniel Nance, Feb 1, 2018.

1. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Depending on your metal skills, it almost looks like you have enough there to rebuild. New rear quarters and rear cargo floor all available new. Check out some of the build threads here, some guys would have killed to have that much metal. I would assume tho flash rust is not going to be your friend so you'll need to do something about that soon before the real humidity starts. Good attitude too, probably better than most.

JJ in TN

Daniel Nance likes this.
  2. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Th
    Thanks, JJ... I just got a newer welder. I’ve been use to getting down to bare metal and the using por-15 rusty metal prep, before priming. I have then patched with glass before using filler for a smooth finish. I know it’s not ideal, but it has worked so far. I may try and go for some quarters and tub. Before I add any seats, I may go ahead and spray in bed liner before I do anymore work.

I still need to find a good and hard top. It crossed my mind the possibility of possibly reusing the hardtop from fire.....getting down to bare metal (it’s practically there now) then coat it with fiberglass resin before painting/gel coating. I’d rather find a low rust too, but that may require a trip to Arizona.
    Thanks for all the tips... please keep them coming!

3. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Got the front driver panel and grill off... I forgot how frustrating it was to put on (inside the light holes). I think I’m going to paint them before I put them back on.
    Also, I used brand new body bolts and they are already rusted. Has anyone used plastic body bolts or have any recommendations?
    A5955A32-A7DF-458F-BF68-CBEF7A74174C.jpeg

4. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Windshield frame And seat bases off, all but rear passenger quarter off.

have plans to change some things - I’m going to sandblast, weld rust spots (instead of glass), epoxy prime, then coat entire tub with truck bed coating before putting back into the frame.
    I hope to run new hard lines for transmission and fuel.

Attached Files:

winchested likes this.
  5. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

Wow. I'm so sorry. Words cannot describe what you must be feeling.

On other forums I have read several stories of fires started by rags etc that had spontaneously combusted which were once used with volatile fluids or other materials (can remember specifics). Many of those fires resulted in not only loss of vehicle, but of property as well. Be glad that your family and home were not affected as it could have been much worse.

Hang in there, and you will overcome. The Scout will rise from the ashes!

Daniel Nance likes this.
  6. J.J.

Good attitude!

Inline Tube makes a hard line complete kit for the Scout II. Everything is proper and bent in the correct places. I got mine off eBay for $180. It was sure nice to have.

JJ in TN

tim vaughan and Daniel Nance like this.
  7. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

After 6 days of work... the tub is ready to come off.
    I took the step of buying an inexpensive sandblasted.... why did I not get one before now????? This this is awesome.
    Also just ordered a devilbiss flg-4 gun with three tips. Plan is to sandblast the tub, epoxy prime, address metal issues, then spray bedliner in the whole tub. The tub rebuild will probably include new metal in several areas. It will be better than I had it and probably what I should have done instead of the por-15 route I took before.
    65D43A0D-38C3-414C-9405-7458496BE6D5.jpeg 464F7C23-5F17-4DD1-B2E4-27CF8F6F85FC.jpeg 8C828D82-8F82-4F48-8CD7-BE137F621362.jpeg 838A962C-55C6-4E02-AE7C-D590806EDA40.jpeg 9C25F451-C3E9-4160-96DE-1D4D76CFE601.jpeg

TorqueMonster1 and TravelerMan79 like this.
  8. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

While I’m waiting on my new spray gun and epoxy primer to show up (so I can start blasting the tub)... figured I’d rebuild the Saginaw power steering box from the donor vehicle. Got it cleaned up and pulled apart. I’ll start reassembling with new components from my rebuild kit over the next few evenings. I’ve watched some YouTube rebuild videos over the last few months so I feel good about rebuilding. I’ll have another box that I’ll be selling when done with this one if anyone has been looking.
    4FE80532-D70D-43D9-A241-EF71DC2724A5.jpeg CF3CD16A-A8B9-4958-AAA4-708395702C2C.jpeg

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  9. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Saginaw power steering box rebuilt. FYI, if you buy a rebuilt kit, it will most likely only have one of the bearing for the longer shaft. You will need to order a second bearing “bh2020” ($13 on amazon) to go in as well.
    This was time consuming, but well worth doing to save some coin and know that everything is cleaned, lubed, and replaced properly. 60F03A0D-A39B-4EC2-9C0B-AFECCC656348.jpeg C5E7377B-4838-4586-9E46-A4F22835E229.jpeg CADA809D-B4BC-4843-906A-B9A90919C2FB.jpeg 4C89DE0E-2F60-48E5-B62B-54C4B198214C.jpeg

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  10. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Have also been working in the window frame this week.... I pulled the frame from the donor and the rust was overwhelming, so I decided to try and salvage the frame that was in the fire. Here are pics from the donor frame that will not work and the fire charred frame with half of it having been sandblasted.
    C22068CA-E14D-4100-B0ED-F8C3FCFB9472.jpeg 70DEF6E0-8119-404E-A946-ECCA832059CC.jpeg E0CA6FFC-7125-4907-8524-23FAE18FAEA0.jpeg

11. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Moved the tub today with the help of some neighbors....looks about like I suspected underneath. 80259D6D-283E-4E57-80BA-CC5594C9E5E7.jpeg

12. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

hate to hear about the fire...that would be hard ...really hard...

Daniel Nance likes this.
  13. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

Oh that beautiful, beautiful Javelin...

I am so sorry guys, on the fire loss. I have had 3 small fires/near misses in my shop and am an absolute tyrant to my son and others when it comes to fire safety. On newer builds, I never leave the battery connected when I leave.

I came in the shop once and noticed that everything was COVERED in acetylene ash. Even in the other room. Found out my son, with no torch experience was using it to heat dirt bike swing arm bolts while the oxy/acetylene cart was land locked deep in the shop(no where near the door or able to move out of the shop). Fire is always forefront on my mind.

I am so sorry, Daniel and Mark. We're here to support your build in anyway that we can, Daniel.

TorqueMonster1 and Daniel Nance like this.
  14. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Started to take out sheet metal on the tub. Man..... this is going to take a hell of a long time.
    7EA3800C-85AF-4BF0-AE9B-A80462B0197B.jpeg 07C7DB4D-4468-45BD-B6E5-DC6D305A56B1.jpeg 976D8512-4D53-45ED-B2A7-9D63CF5E0EBF.jpeg 2EAB1BCF-DCAE-4CA0-9171-AB0C95A87136.jpeg

Jrc55 and TravelerMan79 like this.
  15. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

looks like you have a big job ahead of you...when I was cutting all my body panels , I was going thru those abrasive discs like crazy..then I got a lenox metalmax...wow what a difference...seem to last forever..great for sheet metal ..not so good for thick stuff
    there are several diff sizes and I got mine at lowes...Fastenal carries them also
    885363171716.jpg

16. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Thanks mongocanfly... I’ve been using the harbor freight coupon special - 10 discs for $5. I don’t think that’s going to cut it (no pun intended). I’ll check out the lenox and thanks for the rec.

17. J.J.

Daniel, you'll get there. On Gregs note above, he's right. It will be cheaper in the long run. I found it interesting when we had our HVAC and ducts replaced a few years ago that the Hiller Plumbing and Heating guys were using Harbor Freight power tools with quality discs and blades. I asked him what the deal was, he was like the HF stuff holds up just as well but the blades make the difference.

JJ in TN

Daniel Nance likes this.
  18. J.J.

I had a thought with your tub on the ground, you might want to fab up some X bracing for the door openings for strength. At the very least you will want a flat or something across the top of the door opening.

JJ in TN

Daniel Nance and TorqueMonster1 like this.
  19. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

Looks like you have good bones there. The hinge pockets, cowl, rear door jambs, center body mount, and rear bed uprights are all you need to start over and they look great. JJ is correct. But I'll take it one step further, please excuse my direct delivery. Just a friendly suggestion, make sure you rebuild on a straight frame supported properly with brand new bushings. Any other way could end very, very badly.
    There seems to be a "wave" in the top windshield line of the cowl. Could that be heat warpage?

You have a great foundation there to work with. It may look daunting, but I'd have given some cash for that tub.

20. Daniel Nance

Daniel Nance Farmall Cub

Thanks for the tip - I need all I can get. There is definitely a wave/warp where you mention and this was due to heat from the fire. I planned on cutting the same piece from my donor tub and welding in the exact piece size I cut out, but I’m open to suggestions.
    I do need to do something for the door openings. I’m going to make my own 6 ft metal brake and try to do much of the sheet metal myself. I think with several 3” angle steel I’ll be able to do this.

I’m also toying around with some other ideas but would love others opinions. I have a hardtop that could possibly be salvaged if new inner support is fabbed up. Then I got to thinking - has anyone formed a support frame just inside the top and made a camper pop-top with a scout frame? Like the vw westfalia or camper vans. I’ve searched the web and can’t find anything. I’m going to sketch something up and talks to my friends who run a fab shop... this would require me developing a new rail system for connecting the custom hardtop and add bracing inside the rear panels.
    Am I crazy for considering?