My 70 Scout 800

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by j_burton, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Any updates?

2. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Been pretty quiet haha. I have just been driving my scout for the most part, and trying to save up some money for the next phase of the project. I am working on getting my door windows out and cleaned up since some awesome semeritan decided to shoot out my drivers side window with a BB gun while the scout was parked out in front of my house. So that's about all that has really gone on for me.

3. Lefty Scout

Lefty Scout Farmall Cub

J_burton, I have the same set up as you on my 71 800. 232 with the 3 speed. I have been thinking about a newer distributor, could you expand on how that swap went for you and where you purchased parts?

4. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

I actually got that distributor off of eBay. Mid to late 70's Chevy products with the 250 I6 use the HEI big cap. Everything on the distributor is the same except for the drive gear, I just used the gear off of my original distributor. And that was that it's an easy swap.

5. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Did you make your own seat brackets for the Corbeau seats? I never saw any pics that you mentioned you would post. I purchased their Scout brackets but they don't come anywhere near fitting correctly.

6. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Yeah I built my own, the drivers side was easy just used some angle iron bolted to the original slides and then drilled the 4 holes to mount the seats. The passenger side I removed the cover from the seat and actually welded some strap iron onto the bottom of the front of the seat and made it like the original where it pivoted on the cross bar in the front and then I made a bracket to where the back just sat down against the rear floor like the original did. If I get time tonight I will take a picture of what I did for you, its hard to explain but it was fairly easy to do. Did you get your electrical issue figured out?

7. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Thanks. On the electrical, I'll find out tonight. Going down in a bit to put the diode in and test. I also have to take measurements and pics of the seat brackets and mounting locations of the originals as these Corbeau brackets don't fit.

8. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

IMG_5599.JPG Well after a long break I finally did a little work on the Scout again, repaired a broken door hinge pin that had been broken since I purchased this Scout.

9. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

IMG_5601.JPG IMG_5600.JPG IMG_5598.JPG Then since some vandals shot out my window I had to replace the drivers side window. Noticed that the bottom bolt for the rear bracket had ripped out of the door so I fixed that.

10. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

IMG_5619.JPG IMG_5618.JPG IMG_5617.JPG Then I also acquired a 258 a while back so I got started tearing it down for rebuilding. The current plan is to rebuild the lower end of the 258 and then install a 4.0 cylinder head along with the mpfi. I also have an Ax-15 5 speed and a dana 300 to install so as soon as I have the time and funds that's the plan!

11. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

IMG_5636.jpg
    Got this today! Kind of disappointed I can't even read a lot of it.... I was excited to see what all options my scout came with because it has door panels used to have a headliner and a few other things.

12. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Also found out that my Scout and I share the same birth date, both born on January 14 just different years lol

Darrel likes this.
  13. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

IMG_5723.JPG IMG_5719.JPG IMG_5715.JPG
    Been doing a few other things. Decided to go with the Toyota FJ mirrors. I really like the look and the visibility is great out of the mirrors!

tyson.johnston likes this.
  14. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Those look great!

j_burton likes this.
  15. jepoppy1

jepoppy1 Farmall Cub

I have a 258 / 3 speed in my '72, and a fi 4.0 available. It's next years project but I'm following for guidance.

Thanks for Posting!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  16. gordons 66 800

gordons 66 800 Farmall Cub

what did you use for a pin?

17. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

I’m so glad I found your build thread. I have recently acquired a scout of the same year and drive train and have so many questions. As you know the 1970 AMC 232 is a bit unique and it seems like you have lived through many of these headaches already. In the long run I plan to swap in a 4.0 but for the time being I like the 232, it’s runs solid and produces plenty of power/torque for my needs. Here is my build thread: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/self-sabotage-1970-800a.139661/

I have a set of scout II axles that I want to swap in and incorporate the disk brakes and power steering. So here are my first batch of questions.

Brakes: I have sourced the master cylinder, proportioning valve, and booster for a Scout II. What am I missing?

Power steering: I have sourced the box from a Scout II. What bracket did you use to install the power steering box? What brackets and pullies did you use for the power steering pump? What pump did you use and where did you get it? What else am I missing?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  18. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Thanks for the link. Subscribed. Scout 80 & 800 builds are my favorite.

brakes. these are all probably obvious ones for you, just mentioning to lay everything out, no ill will implied or intended.

* S2 D44 front end. Unless you just pulled this from a recently used/scavenged S2, now is probably the time to refreshen everything there, i.e. pads, rotors, lines, check wheel bearings, etc.

* brake line + appropriate tools. You are stepping into customized territory, so don't expect that you will be able to either bolt up your OEM lines, scavenged S2 lines, etc. When I did my brakes, I replaced everything with SS lines. That isn't necessary, but expect to run some new line. You will also need tools to support this, i.e. flare tool, brake line bending tool, etc.

I have never seen anyone use brackets here. I will tell you that you do need to reinforce the frame by welding on extra plate steel in the area you bolt on your P/S pump. The frame in this area isn't strong enough to handle the actions the P/S box applies to it, and, in short, the bolts you use to attach the box to the frame will never stay tight, in turn, causing other long term issues. I did a thread specifically on this, when I added P/S to my 800a.

and finally, on this subject, if your OEM steering box was outside of the frame (mine was), now is the time to move it internal to the frame. this way, your P/S box will not interfere with your lock-to-lock turning radius.

Prior to adding P/S to my Scout/Scout frame, I kicked off a stand-alone thread on reinforcing the frame, and got a lot of great feedback, input, etc, on what needed to be done, to do this correctly for the best results. Its still available in the archives, or holler out if you need it but can't find it.

Again, I expect/suspect that most of this is obvious to you, but the path-of-least-resistance, is to acquire a P/S pump+bracket from, typically the same engine family that you are running in your Scout, i.e. if you are running an IH SV V8, your donor would come from another one of these. If you are running an AMC inline 6, your scope, and field of donors could come from an AMC vehicle that was P/S equipped (i.e. AMC cars, Jeeps, etc).

In my case, I have an LS swap, and used the OEM GM P/S pump that shipped with my engine. My P/S box had a donor vehicle that was a 1999 Ford Powerstroke F250. Is this last comment relevant to you in any way ?? Well, indirectly. Its meant as a reminder that for the hoses to/from your P/S pump && P/S box, you will need a new set of hoses, possibly custom fabricated. Not a big deal, but something for your check list.

I know this is long, hope there is something here that helps.

Wombat likes this.