My 70 Scout 800

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by j_burton, Nov 8, 2015.

1. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Well I have been lurking around for a while and asking people all kinds of questions and milking information from everyone that wanted to offer it up.... So I decided to start a build thread. This isn't going to be a Gary Billings speed 30 day build or anything it will be lucky to be a 3 year build but here goes!

2. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

image.jpeg
    This is how the Green Bomber started its life with me. It's fairly solid a few rust issues but not horrible. Setup with the AMC 232 I6 with the 3 speed. Dana 44 rear and Dana 27 front with 4.27 gears.

scout2000 and Mabscout like this.
  3. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

image.jpeg I have been doing quite a bit of work to it off and on so far I have swapped out the axles for a set of Dana 44 scout 2 axles with 3.54 gears.

4. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

image.jpeg
    This is Cooper my big helper! Just turned 9 years old and owns his own Scout already.
    image.jpeg
    Front axle perches moved getting ready to install.

5. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

image.jpeg Along with swapping the axles I also installed a CPT suspension kit from IH parts.

This is my buddy Rob, he is a welder by day and helped me a lot with my axle swap etc. he is an amazing man!
    image.jpeg
    Front is done!

6. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

My whole family loves the Scout and everyone helps on it even my wife!
    image.jpeg

7. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

image.jpeg
    Latest project has been getting the power steering going! Got the box mounted.
    image.jpeg
    Tonight got the pump mounted that I picked up from Scootr on here! Sure is awesome having a good group of people to help with advice as well as offering up extra parts to help with your build! Speaking of extra parts if anybody needs some axles or a manual steering box let me know! Also can anyone tell me how exactly the power steering lines are ran on a setup like this where the pump is on the right hand side of the engine and the steering box is on the left?? Do they run them below the radiator? Thanks a lot!

8. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

image.jpeg New wheels!!!!!

The only other thing I have really done mechanically is to install a big cap HEI distributor.
    image.jpeg
    Don't mind the belt in the pic I was installing my PS pump and it just got in the picture!

9. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

Looking good! There's no reason to have the stress or lack of sleep from a 30 day build... 3 years is great. The important thing is to have fun while doing it!

-Gary

10. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Well Gary you do awesome work! Maybe I will get to meet you one of these days your not that far from me!

11. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Got my PS hoses made but haven't had time to throw them on yet. When I get them stuck on I will throw up a pic and see if you all think it will work alright the way I am doing it. Then all I have left to do is finish plumbing the brakes and should be able to get this thing back on the road. Haven't driven it since July. Also I need to fill up my front and rear diffs. Was planning on using a synthetic gear oil since it does get pretty cold here sometimes was wondering what recommendations people might have. Thanks a lot.

12. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Wow there is a lot of excitement on this thread.......... Well I will just keep talking to myself here. Got the PS all hooked up and working last night, took the scout for a slow stroll around the shop since I still have no brakes, but I am really happy with the steering.

13. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Power steering is a huge upgrade. I have some scouts with out it and I can say, I enjoy driving with it much better.

scout2000 likes this.
  14. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Nice work so far :thumbs up: The Green Bomber is looking good. :punk:

Gary's threads were good motivation and information for me, too.

15. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

I have a question, I installed the CPT lift on my scout and the front sits quite a bit higher than the rear, I know why and I am not blaming the kit. I used an adjustable perch on the axle and its a little taller than the stock perch, since I am running SUA it lifted the axle a little higher causing the rear of the scout to lower. My question is can I just build a little longer shackle to level it or do I need to add a shim to the front to lower it to the same level as the rear?

16. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

How much higher is the front from the rear? Remember you only gain half the size of the shackle lift. For example going from 3 to 5" shackles will net you 1 inch of lift.

Cool build. Love those bling rims! Just cuz no one is posting up doesn't mean were not reading...
    Do you like your head lights? If so, where did you get them?

17. Gary Billings

x2. Look at all my threads. There could be weeks that go by when no one responds and I feel like I'm just talking to myself :ph34r:

Next time you're in the Denver area, hit me up and I'll give you a tour of the collection.

-Gary

18. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Gary you are a scout ninja for sure! Love your work! I don't know if you were offering me the tour or not, but if not,I'm inviting myself! :banana:I'd love to see the collection. My wife and I love Estes so I'm sure I'll be in the area once again.

19. Gary Billings

I was responding to j_burton but that goes to you and anyone else who wants to see my piles of junk!

-Gary

20. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

HAHA open invitations can be dangerous! Hows the weather up your way Gary supposed to be getting pounded here tonight reports of up to 14" of snow and 60mph winds, guess winter is finally showing up!
    On another note I am waiting on some brake parts for the Scout before I can really do much else, and then I don't know what I am going to tackle next. I am still looking for a J**P Cherokee or something with an injected 4.0 and preferably an AX15 trans and a Dana 300 lol and I need to do a few other things. What sucks in my situation is I don't have a garage, I have access to the shop that I run which is nice because I have access to all of the tools etc, but I cant just leave my Scout in there I have to have it out during business hours so right now I am limited on the size of projects I can do because of that reason. Also need to get or build an adjustable drag link. I just have the stock scout 2 one on there right now and it works but my steering is off just about 1/4 of a turn, I believe it turns a little sharper to the left than the right if I remember right.