My 68 "project"

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rjones, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Got some decent weather so drove the old truck to work today, about 25 miles one way. Couple things I found out, it gets horrible gas mileage, the seat is uncomfortable, I'm glad I hooked the defroster ducts back up, it's a cold blooded machine, and I really need a driveway, or bigger garage. It was frozen to the ground this morning, didn't want to move at all, even in four wheel drive. But it actually did pretty good in traffic, and ran a lot better once it was good and warm. Just clattered right along.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    RinTX likes this.
  2. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Bummer. Went to start the truck earlier and it was totally dead. Totally. I'm wondering if the horn relay could be the problem? The battery is on the charger now. I can see if I can figure it out later, just wondering if anybody has had that problem. The horn is the last thing I hooked up, I kinda thought if it was that, the horn wouldn't work at all, or it would be honking all the time?

3. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Well that was a little easier than I thought it would be. Put the battery back in, hooked the + up and put my meter inline on the -. The horn relay clicked. Got to messing with things, turns out the horn I just put on stopped working. The relay is still clicking, so I'm "assuming" that the horn was causing the battery to drain, through the relay.....somehow??

4. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

If the relay is clicking - it is using electricity to hold the contacts in position. But seems like your horn should be honking too if that is the case.

Rjones likes this.
  5. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

Agree is it is clicking (making contact) i would think the horn would be going off. Maybe the relay shorted out or a wire is loose toward the horn itself so it wasn't honking. First thing is just to figure out where it is making contact (in the horn assembly ?). Certainly worth the time to tap a little power directly to the horn and see if it works also.

Rjones likes this.
  6. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I did check the horn itself later. It didn't work at all. I suppose what could of happened is the horn button on the steering wheel made contact(it seems like it fits loose and has to be just right or it pops off to one side) while I was at work and made the horn honk all day, killing the horn and draining the battery.

7. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I've been sort of chasing an oil leak up front. I couldn't tell where it was coming from until today, I think. Looks like the plug that plugs the dipstick hole up front either isn't in all the way or needs sealing up better. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

8. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I think I have a chance to buy a 79 Scout 2 eng/trans/transfer case. Unknown mileage, supposedly ran good when pulled out..... Question is, am I better off continuing to mess with what I have, or take a chance on a a totally unknown? Thoughts??

9. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Nice picture!

One of those roll the dice issues. Short of having firsthand knowledge of what you are buying. This truck has some internal noise? Have you pulled the lifters to inspect them and the push rods? If not, that’s where I would start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rjones likes this.
  10. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I haven't pulled them yet, just looked at them with the valve covers off and the engine running. I should probably take things apart while the weather is nice. Thanks!

11. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Get a tool like this one (may be able to get a loaner from auto zone?)
    [​IMG]
    Pulling and inspecting them is easy and can give you a good idea of how much sludge and wear is in the engine. If your inclined the lifters can be disassembled and cleaned. Also the rocker arm shaft can be cleaned out if you think there is any restriction in it.

Rjones likes this.
  12. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

13. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

That will do it, looks more heavy duty than what I used.
    When you pull them out keep them in order so they can go back into the same spot. If you take them apart (or replace any) let them sit overnight submerged in light oil and put assembly lube on before reinstalling.

Rjones likes this.
  14. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Thanks.

Got a start on it tonight. Started on the driver's side because that's where the noise "seemed" to be coming from. Got the rockers off, pushrods out, pulled the front lifter. I don't really know what I'm looking for on the rockers and pushrods. Pushrods are straight, rockers seem to be fine, nothing obvious anyway. Pretty good carbon buildup on the pushrods. The one lifter I got out came out really easy, and it appears fine as far as the cam surface, and seemed solid, so I put it back. I went to do the next one and the intake bolt was in the way, and I needed to walk the dog, so that's all the farther I got. That tool is kinda sketchy to me, it just grabs the inside of the lifter, not really in a groove, unless I'm doing it wrong. There isn't really a way to get it tighter in there, the lifter just spins when it gets to a certain tightness. I'm afraid I'm going to drop a lifter inside!! I have another set of pushrods and rockers, one sides worth anyway. Pushrods are new, but one has ball ends instead of the pressed in ends. I'll have to take the brake booster off to get to the back lifters. I'll work on it more later in the week, supposed to rain sometime.

Attached Files:

15. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

You didn’t waste any time on it. The tool that I have used caches under a lip once you compress the spring in the lifter.
    Roll the push rods on a flat surface to see if they are bent. On the lifters, compress them while they are out to make sure they move freely. Visually inspect for obvious wear. They will be a little cupped on the bottom but it should look polished, not rough/scratched.
    It looks like the engine is pretty clean inside.

Rjones likes this.
  16. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Okay, thanks! So maybe I just needed to push down on the lifter more with that tool to catch the lip. Pushrods weren't bent, so that's good. Yeah other than a little build up on some of the springs and pushrods, it is really clean, which is really surprising with as much sludge was in the pan when I dropped it.

17. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Heck I just used a telescoping magnet to pull all my lifters.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Rjones likes this.
  18. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I thought they would be harder to get out, a magnet would probably be a lot easier. Any problem getting them back in the holes?

19. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Some slide right out, some not so much.

Rjones likes this.
  20. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

So far Tonite I've got two lifters out. Is the piston supposed to compress? They don't move at all. I took one apart. Just a little piston came out, the part the pushrod sits in. The "sleeve" under it doesn't move?? That can't be good can it!? Also is there a trick to getting that second manifold bolt loose? The one by the water neck.

Attached Files: