My 68 "project"

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rjones, Sep 2, 2018.

1. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Time to drop hints to the light line boys and make them available ,,, Very neat design

2. patrick r

patrick r Binder Driver

Interesting. This would be really easy to make, just have to find the right hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rjones likes this.
  3. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

4. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

More snow and cold temps, so probably not going to get much done. I have a friend that has a 304, supposedly good running, that he might be willing to sell. So I can keep messing around with my 345, maybe cam and lifters or whatever, or assuming he will sell it, just buy his.....

stroker3 likes this.
  5. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Well I did manage to get the license plate on it finally this morning!! Just had to drill 1 hole and fight with numb fingers trying to start the nuts. And I gave up on the internal regulated alternator, and replaced with another external. Didn't take long to do, but with -1 degree windchills, the license plate, and the alternator/regulator, is about all I could handle. It was cold!!

6. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

The sun came out, so it at least felt a little warmer. Let it sit and idle for a while (after chipping my way in through the ice), sat and purred for about 25-30 minutes. Well purred, other than the clacking sound. Put a cheap seat cover on, messed with the glovebox some more, and messed with my cowl cover some more. Also pulled my steering wheel, it was off a little bit, so I rotated it. I'm missing the spring and the metal part that goes on top of it. Also don't have the long screw(?) that makes contact with the brass ring underneath. Is it just a long sheet metal type screw? I stuck a random screw in it and grounded it to the shaft. Didn't get a horn blow, but did get a springy click sound from under the dash, the relay I hope! I'm guessing the horn just doesn't work.

Attached Files:

Gringo Gomez likes this.
  7. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Yes just a long pan headed sheet metal screw

Rjones likes this.
  8. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

Nice seat cover, one piece or two?

Rjones likes this.
  9. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

10. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

Two piece off the shelf covers are hard to find or at least the ads don't say.
    I want to be able to remove the bottom seat for storage access.
    Thanks.

Rjones likes this.
  11. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

That was my thinking too. Still seems odd that the seat bottom isn't really attached, or so I was told anyway.

12. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

It just "floats", kept from sliding forward by those two studs/posts at the front corners
    If the padding is sufficient it locks in pretty good and allows quick access to "storage".

Rjones likes this.
  13. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Today was the first day in a few weeks that it was okay weather and I was able to take the truck for a little spin down the road. Still has the stuck lifter, or whatever, sound, but other than that it did okay. I've got the carb pretty close, not much hesitation anymore. Goes down the road good, it does seem down on power though. Hopefully the stuck lifter will unstick and help that out some. Also had it a little lean, so I richened it up a couple jet sizes. Had to put it in four wheel drive to get out of my snowy yard, and it actually worked!! So that's something. Ran into my friend Steven out driving his little, tiny Imp. While I was talking to him a guy stopped and said he thought my truck was really cool.

Attached Files:

stroker3 and superfishyall like this.
  14. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Worked some more on the cowl cover. It really needs to be made out of thicker metal so it'll seal better and not flex, but this is what I had. I used a couple of those push in license plate fasteners with a piece of fuel line around it to take up the extra space shoved in the cowl slots. Put some weather stripping on the back of the metal. Then hardware store knobs with studs to attach. Bound to work better than the metal just sitting there with bricks on it like I had!!

Attached Files:

15. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Lazy day.... I did change the valve cover gaskets yesterday, which shouldn't be that big of a deal, except the driver's side is a pain because I have to move the brake booster to get the valve cover off. Finally put a tach in today. It's running better, took a short drive down the road to the store. I think richening it up a little made a big difference.

I was wondering today about removing the cracked dash pad. Is that thing glued down? Seems like all that is attaching it is the trim up near the windshield.

Attached Files:

16. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

The dash pad is fully glued on,the good thing is its painted under the glue.I used mineral spirits and a lot of scrubbing to get the glue off,but looked great when done.

Rjones likes this.
  17. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Went out and started the truck a while ago, first time in a week or so. It's been cold!! Fired right up, no problems. While I was sitting there with it running I flipped down my single visor and found the build sheet, or line ticket, or whatever. Kind of hard to read, but still neat.

Also wondering about windshield wiper blade refills? The ones I see online, Rock Auto, eBay, Amazon... look like they are just the rubber part? Is that right? These are the short ones, 12", not the 18" that I see listed alot also.

Attached Files:

superfishyall likes this.
  18. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

So the 304 my friend was pulling out of this truck he bought turns out to be a 266. I'll still buy it from him, don't really have a place to keep it though, so I told him to try and sell it. Is there any want for a 266? I know they're similar to the 304,345...., maybe more rare? and rev higher!!

19. Gringo Gomez

Gringo Gomez Farmall Cub

Blades are 12". I use Anco 31-12 for the 5mm bayonet style.
    There is a shim that should come with the blade to adapt the 7mm receiver.

I love those King-Sealy silver backed gauges.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Rjones likes this.
  20. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Finally got to messing with the wipers. I bought some refills off Amazon that were "supposed" to fit. They did not. I was looking around today for refills online, with no luck. So I was about ready to order either the 31-12 or 20-12, but I figured I would just check with Napa. No luck. Then they called me back like 5 minutes later saying they did some research and found a crossover for the 20-12! In their own brand. So I went and got them. They are silver metal, attach to the factory attachment, although I'm not sure how to get them back off, but I'll worry about that later. I haven't actually used them yet, but I don't see any problems. Right on!

Attached Files:

Tim Lohse likes this.