My 68 "project"

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Rjones, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I bought this 68 1200 with a bunch of swapped parts - 2wd made into 4wd using axles out of a 74, 345 out of something, 727 out of something else, power steering from a 70. It needs a lot of work still, and I knew that going in. I started working on it a little today, and I didn't take pics.....forgot. This is my first International. I've worked on quite a few different engines and vehicles over the years, but this 345 is a new one on me. Pretty goofy water pump setup. Power brakes were also added, and to get the valve cover on, the only way I could see to do it was by loosening the booster and moving it over. Supposedly it runs, but I haven't heard it yet. Got some wiring to mess with, some fuel system things to figure out, then hopefully I can start it up!

Attached Files:

2. jfraz3

jfraz3 Farmall Cub

Well I can guarantee the trans is good, its out of my 73 that I total’d out! If Zach said that engine runs, then it runs...I wanted that truck back when it was 2wd and 6cyl powered. Wanted it more when he told me what all had been done to it and it was for sale!! He always sells these things when I’m low on funds! Ha

Lemme know if ya have questions, I been working on these things for years. Im east of KC a ways, little over an hour from where you bought it. Its gonna be a cool ride when its done, always wanted a vehicle built the year I was born, the search will continue I suppose. Congrats on a cool rig to tinker with!

Rjones likes this.
  3. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Thanks!! It's definitely a cool setup. I have no doubt it will all work out, but you know how it is when you get something that somebody else put together, gotta go through and figure things out. Appreciate the offer, I'm sure I'll have questions!!

4. Ledbeter36

Ledbeter36 Farmall Cub

Oh yeah me and Jfraz have seen that truck a few times. The tranny is definitely good as Jfraz3 said it was out of his running scout that was totaled. Also he’s right if Zach said it runs it’s Legit. He’s been selling parts and project ih’s a long time and he’s a straight up guy to buy from. Get it going and look me and jfraz3 up we’re always doing the ih stuff in kc. Good luck.

Rjones likes this.
  5. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Yeah Zack seemed like a really good guy. Do doubts there.

A couple quick probably easy questions - do these things have door locks? I closed the passenger side door a while ago and could only open it from the inside. The key was pretty tight and hard to turn in the door so I didn't force it.

Also I'm thinking of replacing the water pump. I noticed it dripping when I got it from Zack. Figure it's probably a gasket, but I've got it apart so now would be the time to do it. Should I? Are all 345s the same as far as water pumps go? And before I start prying, or trying to unscrew things, I see the 4 big phillips head screws, are they what holds the pulley to the pump?

6. Ledbeter36

Ledbeter36 Farmall Cub

Yes the big philips screws hold the pulley on. As far as replacing the water pump the 345 pumps are all the same but look shearch water pumps on here. These water pumps have a certain amount of space to be checked to make them work correctly a lot of the rebuilt ones you get from the parts store aren’t done correctly. I can’t remember off the top of my head and if you check yours and it’s in spec your probably better off just replacing the gasket. Yes they had door locks but I can’t tell you much about the truck locks I’m into the scouts but Jfraz3 has had a truck and Zack I’m sure would answer questions too. You can post the specific question on here with the truck model in the heading and some truck guys will help you. It may just need a good lube job try spraying it out with some penetrating lube both through the key hole and from inside the door panel.

Rjones likes this.
  7. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

It's over at a friend's house, he went out and yanked on the door and it opened, so I guess it was stuck. Still need to work on the locks though. I'll do some research on the water pump too. Thanks!

jeff campbell likes this.
  8. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

I've got the '67 1200b. The door locks work by the key or the inside handle. You have to manually lock the door on the outside with the key. Turn it the opposite way from 'open'. Or you can use the inside door handle to engage the lock from the inside (up to open, down to lock).
    Might be stiff with the key on the outside, 50 years of dirt in the tumblers. Either take them off and flush them with some lubricant, or at the least pump some through a straw into the lock. It'll help a lot to get some of the crud loose.

Rjones likes this.
  9. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Ah, okay that makes sense, pushing down to lock. I'll plastic them with some stuff and get the locks at least moving hopefully. And I'll get some more keys made!! Just in case....

10. BarneyG

BarneyG Farmall Cub

Had to do the same, don't know where you are but the Ace Hardware store near me had blanks that work fine for my '67, Labeled as a B5 on the key. Ran less than $3 per key. Little better than the $150 for my subaru fob thing.

Rjones likes this.
  11. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

A little more messing with things today. Replaced the water pump since it was already off to fix a leak. Lubed the door locks, so hopefully that'll do some good. Got the one headlight bucket that I have mounted. Looked a little more at the interior. I don't know what works and what doesn't in there yet. We've had a lot of rain lately and the bed holds water pretty good. And found some bullets in the glovebox!!

Attached Files:

12. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I noticed today that this thing has one heck of a rear bumper on it! Is this a factory bumper?

Attached Files:

13. S.H.A.F.T.

S.H.A.F.T. Farmall Cub

Yes it is a factory bumper.
    S.H.A.F.T.

Rjones likes this.
  14. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

I like it!! Thanks

15. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Ok next question - tried to get it fired up Tonite, just to see if it would run. It's supposed to have a fuel issue, like pump not pumping or something. So we poured a little fuel in the carb and it fired right up! Then ran out of fuel, so we tried a hose into a jug, fired right up and stayed running. So probably a tank issue, but then we thought maybe it just needed a good prime, so we hooked it back to the tank. Fired right up and stayed running again. Now I'm wondering if it's just out of gas!! So the question is about the carb, which I forgot to take a pic of.... It's got a white plastic thing on the left side with a vacuum line and a plunger. What's that? It's got a choke on the other side hooked to a heat riser. It had vacuum lines going all over from a tree at the back of the manifold. I unhooked and plugged all of them. It's an egr engine. Still has the valve not hooked to vacuum. It also has a couple fittings in the manifold that look like they should have vacuum lines hooked to them. I'm assuming it's okay to leave all that disconnected?

16. Marcus English

Marcus English Farmall Cub

Want a 66' travelette 4x4 6cyl powered? Lol
    Location; West Michigan

Rjones likes this.
  17. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

So rebuilt the carb, it seems to run better, at least idle better. Haven't got it actually moving yet. I started looking at wiring..... I don't have power to most of the fuses in the fuse panel in the glovebox, is there another fuse panel? Or do I just need to take it all apart and see what's up? On another note, the driver's vent window latch is rusted off, the shaft isn't there anymore. From the search I've done, that can't be fixed? The whole frame has to be replaced?

18. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Okay, a little follow up already. Initially the rebuilt carb did run better, but then when it was good and warmed up, it ran like crap. So with the choke pretty much all the way closed it ran good, once the choke was all the way open, ran bad. I sprayed for vacuum leaks, and it seem like the shaft is leaking, evidently enough to keep it running when I put my hand over the carb. So, that's no good.

19. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

The more I mess with things, the more questions I come up with. I did get the fuse/no power thing figured out, just started wiggling wires around, things started working. The blower even works!

Two new questions - what are the clips to attach this grill? And what do I need to do to attach the speedo cable on the 68 to this 727?

Thanks again!!

Attached Files:

20. Rjones

Rjones Farmall Cub

Aha!! Got the headlights to work, and the brake switch repaired. The turn signals are getting a signal when I check them with a test light, but I can't get a bulb to work. Is there a way to take those things apart without messing them up? Maybe the bulb isn't making contact good enough? Or do I need to run a separate ground wire for each housing? The brake light housings that came on the truck are pretty rusty, I'm not sure if they'll work or not. Didn't mess with the carb issues today.