My '63 Scout 80

Discussion in 'North Texas Binders' started by kc5kri, Mar 11, 2018.

1. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

2018 Mar 11 Scout 80.jpeg
    Scout got new tires and battery... starter and engine was turning, no combustion.

2. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Fuel, air, and spark..........
    Good looking start, what do you have planned for it?

3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

With that tow hitch on the front, it probably got used to being pulled around and forgot how to work. Maybe if you got and read the manual to it, it would remember again. :cowboy:

BTW, if you click on your handle at the top right, it will open your 'personal Details' where you can add items like your location. That's often useful, as someone nearby may be interested in seeing, or even helping with your vehicle. It's very useful if you need parts which would have to be shipped to you by another member.

scout2000 likes this.
  4. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

Running & cleaned up... spring over axle, maybe upgrade to Dana44's... switch over to power steering and disc brakes... new paint, nothing crazy, keeping the traditional look.

5. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

Congratulations on your new find and welcome to Binder Planet.

Looks like you were able to pick up a high option model. Just off the top, I see you have the optional roll up windows, and side mirrors on the (removeable door) hinges.

Looking forward to watching your build out.

I would close by 2nd'ing Dana's comment. If you add your location, Its easier for others both to determine if they are close by to assist, and also to get spare parts to you. Heavy Binder parts do not frequently ship cheap.

6. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

Jerry, we've met... I've been to a couple of meetings. I'm going to miss this Saturday... but I'll make one soon.

scout2000 likes this.
  7. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

Excellent. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention, didn't see that this was in the NTB area, and not the general area.

Hopefully, even if you miss this meeting, you will be able to attend the Binder Bash, either with or without your Scout. Great place to network, meet Binder owners from the (3) big Texas clubs + beyond and lots of fun to be had.

OTOH, our meeting for next week is a wrenching session at Ben Maples shop in the Ft. Worth area. If you can get (or tow) your Scout there, might be a good opportunity to have a bunch of eyes on your mechanical issues that already have IH repair experience.

8. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

boxes of goodies... Resized_20180316_135717_6415.jpeg Resized_20180316_154605_2559.jpeg

9. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Wallow out the inlet of those tanks with a dremel or some other tool while holding it upside down to keep the shavings from going into the tank.
    I don't know why they make the inlet so small.

10. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

It's amazing how life can put the fun stuff on hold... trying my hand at replacing my seat back.

Attached Files:

11. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

Checked the fuel pump Thursday night... not working. Removed and sent off for a rebuild. Guessing I have about 3 weeks to get everything else in the fuel delivery done before the pump returns.

Attached Files:

12. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

Seat back turned out pretty well... soaked in water for a couple of hours, clamped up for a week, and it held it's shape. I thought I'd have to buy a sheet 1/8" and laminate it myself; but it held. Yea! Driver side door now has an exterior door latch. Interior now has a window crank and regulator... Starting to notice my Scout has more bolts and parts than listed in the Shop Manuel I ordered...

Attached Files:

13. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

Took the tank back out, made the fill hole larger; per several's advice...

Attached Files:

14. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

Found some keys on Ebay; now I don't have to use that dinky little 'bank box' key the Scout came with... Had the fuel pump rebuilt; rebuilt the carburetor myself (thank you Mike from YouTube). Fuel System is all reconnected... added a little Bling Bling under the hood! Next: spark plugs, oil, oil filter, brake fluid flush, radiator flush... and with a little luck, this little 80 might be on the road... fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

15. kc5kri

kc5kri Farmall Cub

Not sure what all the crud on the underside consist of... but man is it nasty. The oil filter had a bit of sludge and build up... so I dropped the oil pan; yep, full of thick tar like sludge... Scrapped out easy enough, no metal in the sludge. Took four rounds of scrubbing the bottom side with a steel brush to clean up these parts. Three coats each of primer, IH Red, and clear coat... and they're back on. Oil canister was so fun, I did it twice! Although the glass bowl on my fuel pump filled up with a few turns of the key... fuel isn't getting up to the carburetor. Ugh...

Attached Files: