My '57 IH S-120 4X4 shortbed "Oscar"

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Brokegunner, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Brokegunner

Brokegunner Farmall Cub

I figured it's time to announce my latest project, this is Oscar the S-120 4X4.

I was driving through a very small town in the Sierra Nevada Foothills of CA gold country and found this truck sitting in front of a house. I decided to try talking to the owner even though there was no sign on it, as it looked like it had been sitting a while maybe? Anyhow I knocked on the door and an elderly woman invited me in and introduced me to her husband. He said they would be willing to sell the truck but had no idea what it was worth and was not feeling well do I left my number and got their info. They said it would be fine to look it over and see what I think it's worth.

Here are the pics I took on that first visit.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Brokegunner

Brokegunner Farmall Cub

I had a good friend with me that likes old trucks so I was hoping he would spot things I might not see and hopefully talk me back from the ledge in case I was not thinking straight. He was in agreement that it looked like a pretty nice truck!

Later that afternoon we were discussing value and I was trying to search for other trucks online and to my shock and surprise I see the same truck listed on a website in AZ from Jan 2017 priced at almost $7,000!!!

Here is the link: https://barnfinds.com/4x4-project-1957-international-s-120-pickup/

3. Brokegunner

Brokegunner Farmall Cub

So to make a long story medium length, I get back to the owner and he tells me he bought it in AZ and made 2 trips to get it here and has put another $5k in it and is now not able to drive or work on it any longer so he offers it to me at a very reasonable price and now it's home with the other binders in the yard!

He had already gone through all the hassle of getting it transferred into CA and registered, and had it in a non-op reg so it only took $81 to get it out in my name, so that was a refreshing bonus.

I received a big file of receipts for the head rebuild, all new side and passenger glass and window channel, new exhaust, wiring, lights, heater, wipers, seat cover, brakes, etc so a lot has been done already. The sad part is a lot of the work is really crappy so for example the wiring will need to be completely reworked. At least it has working lights and it runs like a top.

I drove it onto the trailer to haul it home so that was a treat! I got it home and started my assessment. You can see all the wires hanging under the dash in the interior photo. You have to be careful not to hook the wires with your for when you push in the clutch :(

It came with the bumper (on the ground) in the photo, not sure if it is original but the patina sure matches well.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

scout2000 likes this.
  4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

Sweet...What a great find..!!!....
    Looks really clean and solid from the pics...I'd get it running and drive as is...
    Sweet looking tow rig ya got also

5. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

Brakes,tires and wheels could be a problem..those parts are near unobtainable...mine had 17.5 tires..no rims fit the big 6 bolt pattern and there are almost basically no 17.5 tires made
    What a great find though...

scout2000 likes this.
  6. PHuscher

PHuscher Farmall Cub

The bumper wouldn't be original for an S series, but would be for an L or R. If you don't need it, I'd be interested in buying it from you.

Brokegunner likes this.
  7. Brokegunner

Brokegunner Farmall Cub

I wish it was mine, that is my neighbor's truck, he offered to let me use his trailer but my pickup doesn't handle tongue weight very well.

8. Brokegunner

Brokegunner Farmall Cub

I'm finding that it right now. The right rear tire had a steak of fluid running down the inside so I pulled the hub off and the drum is in poor shape as well as the seal surface on the spindle of the housing. I got the number off the seal and ordered one locally, but I am not able to find a part number for a Redi-Sleeve for it.

9. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Farmall Cub

Nice truck! I have a 56 S120 swb 4x4 I bought a year ago. It's been a journey but it's back on the road again and it just so much fun to drive around on all the secondary roads in my area. Good to know there's still a few of these around.

The correct bumpers are pretty rare, mine was like a pretzel but I hammered it out the best I could. Seeing as mine is a "patina" truck it looks OK. The L series bumpers like the one in your picture look great on an S and if your not a purist are a lot easier to come by.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Brokegunner likes this.