My 1978 Scout II Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by BigRigg, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I then started on reassembly of the inner fenders. Those needed to be cleaned up, sanded down and repainted. Once I had those back on, the fenders came back on, and so did the doors, so I could get my gaps right from fender and door opening. This was a cool little trick I learned. It's so much easier to get the front aligned, and the put the quarters where you need them to be.
    Once the doors were aligned, the fenders and doors came back off. The radiator went in. Then it was time to clean, primer, paint, install the heater box, brake booster, steering column, petal mounts,and run transmission lines, engine wiring harness, heater hoses, radiator hoses, etc... 20200506_182040.jpg 20200505_153144.jpg 20200506_182104.jpg 20200506_182105.jpg 20200415_155236.jpg 20200508_173140.jpg
    And that's where I sit today. Next up on the list, is installing the throttle and kickdown linkage. It will all have to be custom, since I went with a motorcraft 2100 carb. Once I have that done, I will start sanding and prepping body panels...

TravelerMan79 likes this.
  2. JeffR

JeffR Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Looking good!

BigRigg likes this.
  3. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

No nearly as much as you have done with yours! Your project looks fantastic, btw. I've been following it closely. I admire your fab skills.

4. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

BigRigg, Sorry to hear about your back. I know about back issues all to well. Your project is coming along Great. Keep It Up!! If ya don't mind tell us a little about your red flooring. How long have you had it? How does it perform? How does it do against gas & other fluids? Clean up? It looks good & I've wondered about doing something similar. Mark

5. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

that thing looks great

AD

BigRigg likes this.
  6. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Yeah my back keeps me limited, which sucks. It is what it is.
    The floor...well, I got a smoking deal on it from the local Sears that closed down. This was the display flooring in the tool section. I have a love hate relationship with it. It's really nice to walk on, or to lay on. It is easy to clean, and seems to be ok with fluids. It looks good, and I can see why people like the tile floors in general.

The downsides are steep for me, personally. It's not ideal for me at my current place in life. The biggest downsides...
    1. No welding without a blanket. Dont even try it. Slag will melt right through, and the tiles can catch fire. I learned that the hard way.
    2. You cannot roll heavy things on it with little casters. I have moving dollies that I would use to move tubs, axles, transmissions, etc. They worked fine on the concrete. They the narrow wheels dig into the tiles, and make it nearly impossible to move anything heavier than a bare frame. So, now it's time to spend some coin on pneumatic wheels that can handle the task.
    3. Goes along with 2...if you have traditional jack stands, you must use something underneath them, or they will cut into the tile. I am going to weld some 2 inch flatbar to the bottom of my stands to keep this from happening.

In closing, if I were a guy who just changed fluids, or replaced things like starters, or upholstery, it's cool stuff. But for a guy who still does fab work, or frame off stuff, it's the pits.

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I have the drivetrain all set up. I also pre-oiled the motor and put the distributor in. Then I realized that this prestolite distributor didnt have a rotor, and all my caps are for holley. So, I'm waiting on ebay for my parts to come. It's very close to starting and moving again! Then bodywork...:helpsmilie:

I tried to post pictures, but I am told the files are to big:cornfused:. I'll update when I figure out what is going on.

8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I just tried loading some pics and it told me the same thing...so I put them in a email and sent it to myself...then saved the pics from the email..and it would load those..not sure what's going on...

BigRigg likes this.
  9. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

I had and heard from our friend RinTX the same issue. If you choose the medium setting it should. No issues for me since. Maybe the domain owner is limiting the bandwidth or the server is filling up with our hi res pics!

JJ in TN

BigRigg likes this.