My 1978 Scout II Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by BigRigg, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Yesterday I removed the transmission and transfer case and removed the fluid. I also pulled the rolling chassis out and gave it a good scrub down. Removed the shocks and brake lines. Now the chassis is back in the shop, and I'll pull the axles and springs and prep for paint. As we sit today...
    20190519_203513.jpg

vince konicki likes this.
  2. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Looking good!

AD

3. vince konicki

vince konicki Farmall Cub

Man, I could use a little more room like your shop. Nice!

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

It's so nice to have one. Its 1200 sq feet. I wish it was bigger! But so much better than my little garage.

TorqueMonster1 and vince konicki like this.
  5. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

I built a 28 by 32 garage with an attic, and my next project after I get the scout on the road is adding 2 bays. Can’t build them too big.

And I gotta say, you work fast! I’d still be looking at the scout in my driveway, drinking a beer and scratching my head.

BigRigg and vince konicki like this.
  6. vince konicki

Drinking a beer and scratching my head is the only way I can work on my scout.

tim vaughan, Kohler and BigRigg like this.
  7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I spent the past few days making a paint booth. Once I finished that I was able to close off part of the shop, and paint the frame, springs, and axles. Anyone who has ever had to scrub on these know it takes forever to get all that crud off...

Once painted, I put the motor back in. And here is where I am today.... 20190531_133408.jpg 20190531_194401.jpg 20190531_194422.jpg 20190531_194423.jpg just for reference, I used rustoleum red oxide primer and the satin black oil based paint. I shot it with a graco finex 3000 with a 1.5mm tip, with works really good for products this thick. I'm always amazed at how much better paint poured from the can is compared to the spray paints. It's just so much thicker and harder after cure...

vince konicki, tim vaughan and Kohler like this.
  8. Arkansas Dave

Man that looks great and fast work wish I had more time to make that kind of progress you are making that thing look great.

AD

9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Thanks, Dave! I'm out there every spare minute I can get...
    I haven't posted anything in a few weeks, my wife and I were on vacation. Were back, and I'm back at it with the scout. I almost have the chassis wrapped up. I need to install driveshafts, fuel line, exhaust and the rest of the brake line. Other odds and ends, I'm sure. So, now that I put this in writing, I realize there is still a lot to do! Lol!

So, I have finished installing the brackets and pullies, the shocks, the soft brake lines. And the transmission, and transfer case. The body is on the horizon....far off, but it's getting closer...
    20190625_184727.jpg 20190625_184630.jpg 20190625_184650.jpg 20190622_214801.jpg 20190625_174953.jpg 20190622_214738.jpg 20190622_214746.jpg

Attached Files:

10. vince konicki

Very nice work.

11. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Time for a small update!

Today I spent the better part of the day cleaning up the shop, and moving stuff around. I also finished removing the floors from the tub I am going to use. Unfortunately, one of my inner rockers is too crusty to use, so I'm going to have to replace it. Most of it is solid, but there is about a foot in the middle that has me worried.

So, while that held me up, I finished dressing the engine, replaced wheel bearings, made a mess if the shop again, and then did some honey do's around the house. Here is where we stand today... 20190704_180407.jpg 20190704_180341.jpg 20190704_180438.jpg

Tomorrow, I will finish removing one quarter, and bring in the donor tub for a little bit of surgery. It will be donating end caps, rear floor, and part of a inner quarter, behind the wheel well.

Kohler and vince konicki like this.
  12. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Looking good,I use those wood carts all the time also.I moved my whole scout around on them while I was building it.

13. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Jeff, they are so nice to have. I used them all the time on my scout. However, I found out today that the chassis does not like to roll on the tile. It was pulling the tile up and causing all kinds of problems. That why the front tires are on the chassis.

The tile looks cool, and i love having an "IH" garage, but it really sucks for what I am doing here. I wish i never put it in. It just isn't good for working garages.

Btw, I am still Interested in the seats, and the dash. Just let me know what I need to do to get started.

14. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

I didn't even notice the IH tile in your floor.....me like!!!!!...chassis looks good !!!!

BigRigg likes this.
  15. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

The IH floor does look cool. If I was more of an oil change, and wax kinda guy it would be great! I'm just not there yet. Im still into fab, and frame off stuff. I have two more planned after this one. Live and learn, I guess.

16. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

That's why I left mine plain concrete ,but it does look nice.I will be intouch soon about your seats

17. Arkansas Dave

Man that thing is coming together fast! looks good.

AD

18. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

Arkansas Dave said- "Them International v8's put a hurtin on some engine stands I had to buy a new heavy duty stand when I had mine on the stand and then it made the new one sag to the point that I installed braces under the motor mounts to help support it. Never had that issue before with other engines."

I once heard that the bare block of a IH 345 V8 weighed more that a "fully dressed out Cheby 350". I can't confirm or deny that statement But it's interesting for sure. I've also heard that the IH Scout engines were brought over from the "School Bus" side of the company so they were built for reliability and also built to last.

Your garage floor looks AWESOME!! I did wonder how it held up to "real work and usage" as opposed to what kind of wear and tear it would see in a "man cave" setting. (not implying you had either).

You seem to be getting some really nice results while staying on what I would call a budget. Like cleaning the chassis yourself and painting it as opposed to "sending it out to be blasted and powder coated". (Nothing wrong with blasting and powder coating if you can justify the $$).

I'm enjoying your build and wish you the best. Mark

19. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

20. Arkansas Dave

Any new updates Big Rigg?

AD