My 1978 Scout II Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by BigRigg, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Hi Everyone!

I am at it again! Project BigRigg is pretty much wrapped up, and it's fun to drive. I've decided that the 1978 SII will be my next project. This is going to be more of a restoration/refresh than a restomod build. In the end, I hope that It will be a nice representation of a stock scout II.
    My plans:
    Refresh the 345. It runs great, and has lot's of power, but It leaks like crazy. I am going to redo all the gaskets and freeze plugs, check the Cam bearings and replace if needed and repaint it. New Motorcraft Carb is on the way, and new filters, oil, belts,hoses, blah, blah blah.

The transmission is in great shape, and so is the Transfer case so I will clean and replace the fluid in them.
    New U joints, new mufflers, brakes, lines, wheel bearings.

I am going to replace the quarters, and floors. new Paint, , seats, Carpet, AC, Tunes, shocks and tires...

Im not sure what color it will be yet. I have a few thoughts rolling around up there, but nothing in stone...

Here is the scout!
    20190428_165326.jpg 20190428_165339.jpg 20190428_165403.jpg 20190428_165418.jpg 20190428_165435.jpg 20190428_165445.jpg

Jrc55 likes this.
  2. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

After a Day of wrenchin'...
    20190429_152543.jpg 20190429_171509.jpg 20190429_174701.jpg

I'm Pooped! We're supposed to have some good rain over the next few days, so there wont be a whole lot going on. I need to gather some supplies to clean, and some welding wire. Once it's clean, I will tear into the drivetrain...

Darrel likes this.
  3. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Nice! I too have an itch to start another build. Looks like you got a crap ton done in one day. Can’t wait to follow this one too.

4. Jrc55

Jrc55 Farmall Cub

Fresh meat, and not so rusty! I'm very jealous

5. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Man you ripped that apart fast! if only they went back together that fast but that wouldn't be any fun though. Keep up the good work man!

AD

6. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I'd love to follow another of yours as well. Get to work! Lol:hammer:

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Actually, pretty clean. Aside from the front floors, rockers and quarters, this is a solid scout. Fenders, windshield frame, top , endcap . All good. Yours is looking fantastic btw. You've given me new zeal!

8. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Yeah, I paid for it. I'm not old, but not as young as I used to be. I want to have this ready by winter, but we'll see.

An update, but no pictures...sorry I got in a hurry, but I will get some.

The motor is out, and torn down. The drivetrain is inside the shop. Parts are ordered and on the way...

I've decided to use another tub I have. The rockers, wedges, doglegs, and inner quarters are in much better shape. I will use the rear floor from the blue scout, and new floors up front. It seems like less work. Plus that tub is already without floors, so its basically welding in new stuff. I'll then use the original tub for a future project, or something...

9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I've also decided on a color...persimmon. my parents had a 78 scout when I was born. And had it until 1985. Then mom totalled it. So, this will be an ode to that scout. Persimmon with black interior, a clone to what we had when I was a kid. It will put a big smile on mom and dads face for sure.

10. Arkansas Dave

That persimmon will be a sweet color I like it, I have never seen it in person just in pictures but I really like the color alot, that's cool you growed up with a Scout I did too, my mom's best friend that lived next door had a grenoble green scout II raylle with white stripes as i recall it was a 304/345 with an automatic with duals. I remember during the week we would ride with them sometimes and take it to town the two of them and six of us kids we would ride in the back cargo area, fun times. We were probably 15 or so. I do remember it leaked lots of oil and that had to be filled up at the gas station.

AD

11. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

When mom totalled the scout, dad was devastated. Then out of nowhere a 1210 showed up for sale, just down the road. Dad bought it. And I still have it. I'm the 3rd owner. But our scout still lives on! Dad bought it back from the ins co, and sold it to a good friend of ours. To this day, the drivetrain of the old scout resides in really sweet 1975 scout.

12. Arkansas Dave

Big Rigg,
    I got to looking at my Scout's roof today it has been swapped out due to the original being damaged and I had removed the makeshift headliner and under it is factory paint and I believe it is the persimmon once I seen the color on a paint chart. I had thought is was omaha orange but I had never thought about persimmon. I will post some pics.

AD

13. Arkansas Dave

here you go: [​IMG]

14. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Ad, remind me, what year is your scout?

15. Arkansas Dave

16. Arkansas Dave

not sure what year the top is though because it was replaced with this one because my scout was roll over tested by the previous owners cousin. So it must have been tough because it survived for the most part.

AD

17. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

5 more hours in today, but not a lot to show for it. Just a lot of cleaning of the motor. 40 years of leaking crusty oil takes a long time to remove. I also was able to check the cam and cam bearings. They actually look really good. I'm not at all surprised, this is a strong motor. It was very clean inside. The motor is ready for reassembly.
    Here is a picture of the progress...
    20190507_170630.jpg

18. Arkansas Dave

Them International v8's put a hurtin on some engine stands I had to buy a new heavy duty stand when I had mine on the stand and then it made the new one sag to the point that I installed braces under the motor mounts to help support it. Never had that issue before with other engines.

AD

19. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

The oil pan, freeze plugs, valley pan are all back on. Tomorrow, I hope to get the frame ready for paint...
    IH red sure is purdy! 20190516_180038.jpg 20190516_181522.jpg 20190516_180013.jpg

20. winchested

winchested High Wheeler