Moving to Tucson

Discussion in 'Sonora Desert Scouts (Arizona)' started by Hutch, May 26, 2006.

1. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Hi all,
    My beautiful wife just accepted a job down in Tucson, so we will be relocating in the early fall. I am excited to check out all that Tucson has to offer, as well as explore the rest of the SW. I have spent some brief stints in Tucson and Flagstaff, but was hoping I could get theinside line on the area, what you like, what you dislike, favorite eateries and activities etc. I will be bringing the scout down with me and would love to hook up with the Sonoran Desert Scouts on some runs. Thanks for any info, I'm sure I'll be asking more as the time gets closer. See y'all in the SW!

Ryan

2. jake6180

jake6180 Farmall Cub

well i dont live in tucson but i visit often and EEGEES is the way to go for food and drinks!

3. sean30ber

sean30ber Binder Driver

Im a Chuys fan.

4. Munchies

Munchies High Wheeler

If your into the outdoors Tucson has SO much to offer...
    I came from michigan, and you will absolutely have some culture shock.. :D
    I don't think I could ever leave now, reall cool place to be.
    Best chimichanga can be found at el charro cafe chains. Tried em all.
    Welcome to the rust free scout haven of tucson. :cool:

5. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

What are emmisions and lift laws like in AZ? Here in Wy, it's pretty much anything goes. Hopefully I'll have the scout on 35's by the time we head down (and running - got it to turn over last night!) My emissions stuff is mostly intact, so switching to full emmissions shouldn't be that big a deal if necessary.
    Munchies- I do love the outdoors and am looking forward to exploring AZ. I've spent a few weeks down in Cochise stronghold, and a bit of time around mt. Lemmon, Sedona & Flagstaff - all rock climbing. I hear there is some great mountain biking too.

6. MacE-AZ

MacE-AZ Farmall Cub

Emissions are kinda rough...no revolving 25-year rule, to be exempt it has to be pre-68. I have yet to hear of anyone getting jacked around with because of vehicle mods like lifts, but I guess anything can happen if you make the highway patrol angry enough! :D

7. shawn davis

shawn davis Binder Driver

according to info i got from dmv the smog exemtion is 65 and before, the lift max is 54 inches ground to headlight and 60 inches ground to taillight. the lift specs i read in one of my 4x mags.
    but i do remember seeing a j**p pickup in prescott that looked higher than that.

8. sean30ber

sean30ber Binder Driver

With out looking in one of my books, I believe the 54, 60 is about on. You would have to really piss one of us off to make us get out a tape measure. Just be safe and dont have a hack job. Lots of us Az. Polizie Have lifted personal trucks. And dont abuse the land like some J##pers do. Welcome to Arizona. The Sonora Desert Scouts is one hell of a group of guys. Just wish I had more time to spend with them. (New Baby)

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  9. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

There used to be some kind of Mickey Mouse law about requiring mud flaps if you had a lift over a certain height? Used to see all the lifted trucks driving around with huge rubber sheets hanging from their rear bumpers. Is that still in effect?

Hutch, since you're coming from Wyoming, you'll probably experience some culture AND climate shock! It's a good thing you're moving in the fall so you'll have a chance to get acclimated to the summers here.
    As far as trails, there are tons of bike, hike and 4x4 places to go. And about 360 days a year to enjoy them! If you get lonesome for snow, just head to Mt Lemmon or a little farther north to the White Mountains.
    Let us know when you get here and drop in at a SDS Tucson meeting (details on the club website). We can fill you in on all the hot (pun intended) places to go.

Roy

10. Munchies

Munchies High Wheeler

Get hassled about the mudflaps in tucson alot. Everyone in the wildcat club has made some quick release flaps. Works out best..

11. scoutmstr

scoutmstr Farmall Cub

Born here, raised here, know a little about the area. Too much for this, SDS Tucson meetings are Sunday after 2nd Wednesday in month at 5Pm Village Inn Oracle Road at Orange Grove. Send me a PM when you get here and we'll talk.

12. scoutmstr

scoutmstr Farmall Cub

Made previous post before reading Munchies or Ireland post. Oro Valley where Munchie lives is worst, they do enforce law on mudflaps extending below centerline of wheel. Sometimes they really get hard and measure from ground up. Rest of the valley cops are more lienent and you can avoid Oro Valley.

13. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

cool,
    Thanks for the info all. looks like some quick release mudflaps will be added to the project list, anyone got pics of some designs?
    rlireland -
    I kind of get the best of both worlds, we will be in Tucson from end of august every year to mid may, then back to Wyoming for the summers. The school that we work for doesn't run any courses through the summer (in AZ) so we will head back up to Wy during that period.
    I am really excited to have wheeling around all winter. Even though you can wheel in WY in the winter it can be darn cold and alot of the Forest service and BLM roads are closed because of snow, this ends up closing a lot of the good wheeling spots too (not all of 'em though!) Now I just need to figure out when I will do all my building on the scout, and I will have to ditch my "it's winter so it doesn't have to run" excuse! I'm a little concerned about having a place to wrench, as I have a two car garage here in the cowboy state, but will likely only have a concrete pad down there. Guess I'll just have to get quicker with my building wrenching skills so I can close things up at night so no sand gets blown in. I'll definately hook up with SDS and let folks know when we head down. Still working out the details on leaving my current job and on what I will be doing down there. Anyone know of any jobs that give the summer off :rolleyes: ? I'll likely take a lower paying job with the school I currently work for and make the rest up pounding nails or something else during the summers in WY. We'll see.

14. rlireland

If you're a teacher, you can probably get a substitute teaching job here during the winter. I think the Tucson Unified School District is always looking for subs. Don't know about benefits or pay but it might be worth looking into.

Roy

15. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Thanks Roy,
    That's a great lead. I always forget about the need for subs. I'll take a look and see where it goes.

16. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

We have firmed up our departure date from Wyoming, and are putting together our plans to head to Tucson. We'll be departing from Wyoming on August 15th, and plan to drive to Flagstaff that day, then on to Tucson the next. We'll see if we actually get as far as Flag the first day!

Are the SDS meetings always on the second Wednesday of the month in Tempe? I'd like to get up there sometime to meet y'all and hear about what's goin' on.

17. rlireland

Ryan,
    Looks like you're going to get here for the last month of monsoon. Still plenty hot, but fall is just around the corner.
    Don't forget about the Tucson branch of SDS. We have our meetings on the Sunday after the Tempe bunch meets. The August meeting will be on Aug 13, before you get to Tucson. The Sept meeting is on the 17th, 5:00pm at Village Inn Restaraunt on Oracle Rd. north of Orange Grove. Hope to see you then.

Roy

18. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Thanks for the info Roy, I will mark my calander for the september meeting. I am excited to see the monsoons, my wife was down there last week and said it rained every night - ironically it has hardly rained at all up in Wyoming this summer - darn drought. I look forward to meeting folks. Thanks again.
    Ryan