Most Complete Champagne I Have Seen

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Randall Barringer, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Not a chance!!
    LOL

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2. Randall Barringer

3. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

I have (2) questions here. The 1st one, I have no idea on, so I'm hoping someone here more knowledgeable can school me.

Referencing the new eBay auction that Randall has posted, starting at the front, images 1 thru 6, plus photo #8 show a sun visor, at least on the drivers side. For quite a while, I was of the opinion that IH did not offer sun visors from the factory on Scout 80's, but, I've been in at least (3) discussions where it seems that there was a dealer installed sun visor option, using some uniquely mounted sun visors from a company named Fulton.

Later, someone (maybe Jeff Campbell) shared some documentation that proved that sun visors were available from IH on Scout 80's, but where very infrequently purchased. Not sure who that was, and I can't find the thread. :(

Either way, of all the Scout 80's i've encountered, none had the IH factory sun visors, so I'm severely lacking in experience here. Wondering if anyone here, who has actually seen IH Scout 80 factory sun visors (not aftermarket or salvage yard specials) validate whether these match the description and shape of what you have seen? Or, if someone has some actual photos of a Scout 80, with the factory IH sun visors installed, that would be awesome.

-=-=-

Item #2 - the angled, but over view hood shot. Again, referencing the new eBay auction, picture #24, the last picture in the group.

As I look at that picture of the hood, regardless of the emblem on the front, I see something in the center. My educated guess, it that this is the front windshield hold down, for when the top is off and the windshield is folded down.

Wondering what everyone else thinks here?

4. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

That new ad shows he must have looked here to glean some of the facts but he sure got the "This is also considered one of the first Scout 800's, officially it is still a Scout 80, but it is a pilot model for the soon to be released Scout 800 and has many Scout 800 features " part wrong. He confused the Custom Trim Level with the Scout 800. Yes, most of the CS and RCS features translated into the new Custom Trim Level 800s for the '66 MY, but....

Anyway, Jerry, yes sun visors were available starting in the late '64 and early '65 model year. Don't know much about them but they don't show until the RCS. The price books I have don't show them in the alacarte options, so my theory is that from new, you only got them with an RCS, CS or with the Custom Trim. Have a look at tome stuff:

'64 Champagne bro 3LR.jpg
    Middle pic to the left.

Champ-1(U).jpg
    Also, see underlined:

IMG_2859.JPG
    Originals from Ed, L S80 style bracked, R Scout 800 style.

Cab-3U-LR.jpg
    And a page from the 1965 Data Book.

11-64-DB Page-Cab.jpg
    1965 Price Book, Nov 2, 1964. Shows a "Custom Trim Level" even back then, separate from the CS or RCS and it includes a visor.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    scout2000 likes this.
  5. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Again I am not too familair with the early scouts. In the hood, you're right, it sure looks like a cover for the the spot where the windshield catch is . Looking closely at the interior pic in the old posting, it's seen there as well. Do all of them have that? The visor looks like the early IH C series flat panel visor. It's slightly different than the factory one Jim posted. Jims looks like the ' newer' mid sixties puffy version with different mounts for the scout so it'll miss a rear view mirror. The one for sale has the standard C series clip mount and looks like it would hit or block a good part of the mirror. Again also unsure why, just pointing it out.
    [​IMG]

scout2000 likes this.
  6. Michael1971

Michael1971 Farmall Cub

I'm surprised no one is talking about the " you could call this a 24 speed and not be wrong!" thing. I saw that and got a headache.

scout2000 likes this.
  7. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    One of the members here (Champagne Scout) PM'd me yesterday regarding said eBay add. I quickly noticed it was the same one that Randy had posted here earlier, and the same one I saw on CL for sale in Utah a while back (Does this put it all together Jerry?). This time the new seller put on an exterior paint job, polished the hub caps, and (incorrectly) added new carpet, upholstery, and so on. I was hoping to comment here yesterday before Jerry did so I could ask him to point out more "Frankenscout" items like the new 23" shackles! But alas, I'm more of a morning person :whistling:. (BTW, even though I like to give folks sh!t, I do have to respect Jerry's willingness to learn and attention to detail, such as noticing an Aristocrat emblem on a different post here recently).

Regarding the sun visor, the pic in Jim's post above is NOT from a CS; rather it IS from an 800 Scout. The CS (and RCS) visors were more rectangular in shape. All three of my CS's came with visors in various state of disrepair. One even came with two, which I presume was added by the dealer but not the factory. Randy said one of his has one, and another one that he sold had two. Some time back I posted (in my build thread) the differences between the CS and 800 custom sun visors.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/never-enough-champagne.138262/page-8

8. BinderBookie

I was trying not to aspirate my vomit at that point. ( : < )
    Sigh.
    I'm only bugged because, for the money being asked, he should have a top-notch presentation of the facts.

scout2000 and jeff campbell like this.
  9. BinderBookie

10. Randall Barringer

Re: visors:
    The parts CS Scout had two correct visors as Ed somehow remembered. I guess someone had it added to the passenger side at a dealer or as a bolt on item.
    I gave the LST to the kid that bought it, maybe it was noted.

The passenger side visor is now on my CS, my wife appreciates it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

jeff campbell likes this.
  11. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    None of my LST's notated sun visors, regardless of one or two. I've found, however, that CS's differed from RCS's in that chrome bumpers and hub caps (wheel disks in IH speak) were options, whereas I believe that these came with all RCS's? For example, two of my three CS LST's list chrome front and rear bumpers and wheel disks, but the third only listed a front chrome bumper and no fancy dancy hub caps :no:.

12. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Simply to clarify, so the scout had various visors similar to ones used in other models with two fairly nice looking padded styles shown. Is the simple basic gray IH unpadded folded paperboard visor ( on the for sale scout) something IH did for ANY scout from the factory or not??

13. BinderBookie

When an item was part of a package, such as the sun visor that was part of the Custom Interior option, it would most likely NOT be noted separately.
    The missing hubcap notation is common among the later CS but all the early ones I looked at just now have it. Ditto for the rear bumper. Not sure what it means but it lends some weight to my theory that before the CS run was done, they were being thought of as "Dollups" or "Customs" rather than as "Champagne Series" as they had been marketed early on, so you ordered the fancy-schmancy interior and package but the rest was alacarte.

Oddly, most I see without a chrome rear bumper (starting around FC114XXX) they also don't have the hubcaps listed. I just found some with no rear chrome bumper but with hubcaps. I only have about 150 CS/Custom LSTs so....

scout2000 and jeff campbell like this.
  14. scout2000

I saw that also, and as goofy as it come across as a selling point, it bothers me significantly less that the earlier eBay auction that contained ::::

"Original unmolested 1965 International Scout Champagne Edition.
    Very rare in this condition."

stroker3 likes this.
  15. scout2000

Ha! I know that you're just poking fun, and that's OK.

I got a good "knock upside my head" after the last go-around with this vehicle, I stated that I would quit "picking vehicles apart" and its my intent to keep my word. I contend that a large percentage of Scouts lived a rough life and any number of "PO" mods to keep them on the road for a few more years. My own 800a is no exception, I've swapped out the plastic back up lights for the chrome & glass ones from an 800. I have a front grill and circular headlight surrounds from a '67. Just because I like those better. I still have the original items so the vehicle can be put back stock whenever it moves on to its next "care taker". My 800a is a bottom end vehicle, from the LST, the only optional item it appears was ordered was the AMC 6 engine and arm rests.

There is no denying, at least on eBay and Craigslist, Scout prices have been going thru the roof. From all the photos I see, this vehicle sure appears to be a clean, solid vehicle, and it looks to have some difficult to acquire, high dollar CS parts in the interior. I have no doubt that the new owner will be very happy with this vehicle, for what it is and whatever it is. Repeating myself from an earlier post, I hope the new owner ends up here on BP.

Thank you (and also Jim here) for the comments on the sun shades. I have/had big gaps in my knowledge on Scout 80 sun visors.

I suspect that when all said and done, this thread should probably be a sticky for Scout 80 sun visors.

16. scout2000

Fulton sun visors.

I've been in several discussions that focused on (IH) dealer installed sun visors for the Scout 80. These (2) links are pointers to the sets of Fulton sun visors I have acquired, and are from my 800a build thread. The "arrow head" on both of my sets are blank, and have no stampings. Randall has/had one of these, with a very nice Fulton brand stamping on the arrow head part.

Grey set

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...t-800a-build-thread.119223/page-7#post-907415

Red set

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...800a-build-thread.119223/page-25#post-1026742

17. Randall Barringer

Yep, I still have the one you mentioned. It came out of a really rough Scout 80 years ago and is now mounted for back seat passenger use in the Travelall. My girls love it for some reason.

scout2000 likes this.
  18. BinderBookie

Nothing shows up in Neccessory booklets about those visors and I don't see them in the parts books. I also looked thru the MT books I have (incomplete ) from '60-65 and didn't see anything. I have some JC Whitney cats from that era and I'll flip thru and see in anything shows up there.

scout2000 likes this.
  19. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

My 64 scout 80,that I no longer own,had the flat gray type visor on the passenger side and the brackets on the drivers side,the center extention for the clip end where painted and not chrome.The line setting ticket stated drivers side visor,will see if I can fine numbers from the scout,but sold about 6 years ago.It was a pretty basic 1/2 top,bench seat with am radio.

scout2000 and stroker3 like this.
  20. BinderBookie

Please do get those numbers. I've looked at over 100 LSTs today and not a single one listed a visor separately. Was it a regular 80 of a Dollup?