More Steering Gearbox questions

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by snowfighter10, Oct 20, 2016.

1. snowfighter10

snowfighter10 Farmall Cub

Hey all,
    My 73 scout II developed a leak at the input shaft of the power steering gearbox. Surprise, right? Anyway, after closer inspection, it seems the PO swapped it out for one with a 3/4" input shaft. Not a big deal since I can swap out rag joints. I know now thru extensive research that these gearboxes are very rare. I want to send mine off to get rebuilt or swapped for rebuilt one. What is the most cost efficient way to go? Who should I go thru?
    Are there ANY other gearboxes that will fit on a scout II? I am a decent fabricator/welder, but simpler is better. I would just like to know if there are other options for steering on a scout II. My truck has a 392 V8 installed by PO.
    It is curious how there are numerous swaps for entire drive trains into IH trucks. There are tons of axle and suspension swaps, but little to no information on steering swaps. Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. ScoutHI

ScoutHI Farmall Cub

I looked at options for this recently too as I have a lot of play in mine as well as some leakage. None of the parts stores carry the boxes anymore that I could find. The cheapest option seems to be having a cardone rebuild through rockauto. Some people have reported decent results, some seem a little skeptical. People have also used a place in Texas called PSC with good results, but they're pricey. If you have a good local shop that could do it then probably all the better, but no around me will. There are also some pretty good instructions online and rebuild kids available if you want to tackle it yourself, but it's a pretty involved process. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, so please do let us know how it goes

3. snowfighter10

Hey ScoutHI. Yeah I have heard good things about PSC . They do seem a little pricey, though. I am in the same boat as far as no one in my area does rebuilds on gearboxes this small. Big rig boxes they do all day, just not car and light trucks.
    Still curious if anyone knows of any swaps that work on our trucks.

4. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

There are no bolt-on boxes from other trucks. There are boxes that could be made to work with fabrication, but it's not worth the trouble imo.
    If you do decide to swap in a box make sure the Scout pitman arm will fit as it's matches the long arms on the Scout axle knuckles.

There have been some good reports about Lares boxes from Rockauto. You might also try Lee Power Steering. Cardone quality is hit and miss ime.

5. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

yeah, cardone don't have a very good track record. whats your time worth to pull the box off and send it back, then repeat it.

6. ScoutHI

ScoutHI Farmall Cub

Heads up it looks like PSC has a pretty good fall sale going right now, 15% off and free shipping. Check their FB page. Still not super cheap, but makes it a more palatable deal knowing you're getting a good quality rebuild. I'm tempted to pull mine and send it now, but don't really want the Scout off the road right now. Probably by the time I get to it they'll be having a spring sale though, haha

7. Jlsspam

Jlsspam Farmall Cub

8. 3rd Gen Scout

3rd Gen Scout Farmall Cub

I just had mine rebuilt by Benchworks Steering in Scottsdale, AZ. $200 is their price for a base rebuild, though I opted for the $160 quick ratio upgrade. The owner of shop runs a Scout II, and recommended the ratio change. It does make it fun to wheel. You would pay shipping to/from Colorado, but still cheaper than a remanufactured box from any of the light line dealers.

Fife likes this.
  9. snowfighter10

Thank you all for confirming what I thought! I guess i just need to decide who will do my rebuild.

10. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

Just got mine back from Rockauto, rebuilt by Lares. Looks good but I haven't driven it yet. I was skeptical at first but I stamped it and I got the same box back. Shipping included cost me around $230.

11. jawsplace

jawsplace Farmall Cub

My '72 SII steering box developed a leak at the same seal. I put in some Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak - and it worked perfect. (Yes, I know using those products are essentially bandaid repairs - which isn't really the right way to repair a leaking seal - but it hasn't leaked in over a year and 5,000 miles.) I also replaced the worn out old rag joint with a fresh Borgeson universal joint (vibration dampening version), then tweeted the pre-load bolt on top of the steering box - not too tight, not too loose. Everything's nice and tight, steering is excellent. And no leaks to boot.

12. snowfighter10

I found a local guy, well he is up in Denver. I emailed him and just waiting for his reply.
    http://www.coloradopowersteering.com/
    He has great reviews and I can actually drive my gearbox up to him.

13. snowfighter10

I just got my steering gearbox back from the guys at CARS Power Steering in Denver, Colorado. They did an awesome job of rebuilding my gearbox! Zero play and all new seals. The Dad has been rebuilding steering systems since 1975. I cannot wait to install it! I rebuilt my rag joint using a HELP! / Dorman kit. The u-joint had no play that I could feel, so I just shot it full of fresh grease. The rebuild cost a fraction of what I would have paid for an out of state job. I will let you guys know how the truck handles after the install.

14. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Great news. Did they replace any parts other than the seals, etc. that come in the typical kit? Definitely post up your thoughts after you've driven it for a while. Just for reference those dorman rag-joint kits have a reputation for subpar quality so keep an eye on it. Any misalignment (esp. body lift) tends to tear them up kind of fast.

15. snowfighter10

Hey Darrel, they did do a complete rebuild. So far (about half an hour) it handles like a dream! I am well aware of the high quality of the Dorman rag joints. I just needed to replace the factory rag joint NOW. It was at least 40 years old and being soaked in leaking power steering fluid weakened it even more. The rag joint was totally shot, the little pegs were making contact with the sides of the notches they were supposed to be centered in.
    The factory rag joint was layers of rubber and steel fibers. The Dorman is rubber and cloth fibers, but it will suffice until I am able to upgrade. Back to the gearbox, I am very pleased with it.

16. BinderMoose

BinderMoose Farmall Cub

Jeff, when you say Cardone doesn't have a very good track record are you talking about their discount grade rebuild or their higher grades as well? Sorry about posting to an old thread.

But I have the ability steering box leaking like a sieve and I need to figure something out.

17. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

i'd say its the discount ? cause thats what ive read about the being bad. the affordable 1's. didnt know they had a premium box ?