More money in tools than S2 worth??

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by bull, Jun 12, 2019.

1. bull

bull Binder Driver

"At one time"....last year or 2 things have really changed..just look at the post topics in here...seems many are so trivial it has to be new owners????....recent past advent of scouts in the rag mags has really changed the hobby....feeling like my ol' junk has entered a new realm of unforeseen reality....dam, some of the S2 garbage rust bucket not good fer anything but a busted tailight bulb on loan from junk yard ready fer crusher prices are out of line with reality of whats before you..

2. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

It's real it's happening. And it's tough because demand is getting high but we don't have the aftermarket support that ford's or chevys have due to the numbers sold.

tim vaughan likes this.
  3. tahoedonner

tahoedonner Binder Driver

It’s worth what someone’s willing to pay for it. Not what some book says. I learned that early collecting baseball cards.

4. Don B

Don B Farmall Cub

I bought my 800 beater for too much $ but one can still be sensible and learn to do it yourself to still make it affordable. Right now higher quality restorations go for big dollars but, really for the actual work and skill involved prices are not out of line from other vintage rigs (re Bronco). Even where I live there are still some deals to be had if you wait long enough or search enough.

From what I see the real cost comes from doing a very high end build with all upgraded components, crawler capable etc or going stock oem all the way. Mine is a budget daily driver to be used and enjoyed.
    I don't see the hobby as wrecked or anything and at least some younger people are getting involved, sure beats video games anyway.

tim vaughan and TorqueMonster1 like this.
  5. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

Hopefully the new interest in Scouts will bring about more repo parts from the vendors. No one would go through the trouble of bring out something new if the market is small.

I’m glad I got the Scout I’m fixing up for $1150 in 2000. And I’m Really glad I bought two for parts- one for $250 and one for $400. Back in early 2000s I bought a pair of fenders for $75 each and also a tailgate for $75. All solid. In hindsight I should have bought everything the guy had.

When I see a Scout for sale at $20k, $30k or more I just think good for him. Those are the rarity. There will always be deals out there for the rest of us. Especially for those that are willing to be patient and hunt them down. And if a fella is willing to do some OR a lot of the work himself then he can get into a Scout at a reasonable price, especially when compared to prices of other vintage suvs & classics.

There’s plenty of “build” threads on this forum to motivate and instruct a guy. And plenty of knowledge and information just waiting to be shared from the forums members. Mark

tim vaughan likes this.
  6. Josh800A

Josh800A Farmall Cub

Old Scouts rust and break but can be brought back, people, not so much...
    I hope new posts keep happening, trivial or not. That means there are still people willing to get their hands dirty.

RinTX and tim vaughan like this.
  7. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

Back when scrap metal prices went sky high,and the lines at the scrap yard were half mile long, our local scrap dealer saved many a old vehicle from the crusher,,,i bet he had 15-20 scouts lined up against his back fence...wouldn't sell any of em or any part of em....he had some other classics, but I remember thinking id never seen that many scouts in one spot here locally..
    he sold the business a few years back and all the scouts are now gone..i don't have a clue what happened to them

8. TorqueMonster1

TorqueMonster1 Farmall Cub

mongocanfly- it certainly can’t hurt to swing by the scrap yard and ask what ever happened to the Scouts. They may have been crushed and are long gone, But they could be somewhere just waiting on someone to do something with them. No harm in asking.

I’ve missed out on a number of old vehicles through the years because I didn’t ask about them when I came across them. And what’s worse is that some were given away for free because they wanted them gone. That hurt. Mark

9. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Yr
    Especially with vehicle like ours. Old farmers dont like to waste stuff, its why they leave an old truck on their field for 20 years. They just can't bring themselves to throw away something that someone could use.

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  10. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

well, the scouts disappeared with the 1st change in ownership...and its changed owners again since then....you could tell he had taken great care in placing them in the lot..they wernt piled up together or damaged from unloading...hopefully he saved them and is building a great scout...hes certainly got the money to do it