Mirror options - Give me some ideas.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Red_SC, May 6, 2006.

1. engenuityinc

engenuityinc Farmall Cub

ok, i was going to sit on this until i had photos, but...

I am in the process of mounting harley motorcycle mirrors on my scout. i filled the holes when i painted, and so i was looking for options.

came across these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330000475827

I mocked it up with a pair of regular harley mirrors at a bike shop, by hand, it seems like the geometry is going to be fine.

I plan to drill a single hole in the top of the door, on the little flat shelf, just ahead of the wing/vent window pivot hole. then attach the nut from the inside. I believe these will fold in for trail use, with the included larger diameter stainless washers on both sides of the door metal.

There are lots of other styles on ebay, including stock style which are bigger (5x3) and those are what i mocked up (short stem version, there is a long and short stem. Long stem was too big).

There are also some on really long stems that slide up and down the shaft. The stock ones with the stainless round bar shafts can be bent to adjust the arm geometry as well.

Anyway, I am hopeful this will work out to be a cool mod. if not, i will sell them back on ebay.

My biggest concern now is vibration. I think I can also mount it on a small, angled piece of metal with say 3 screws if that is a problem.

Worth a shot anyway, you never know if you dont try!

J

2. ikavo

ikavo Farmall Cub

Check this out for chrome mirrors - http://scoutparts.com//products/?view=product&product_id=11636 - just paste that stuff into your browser. They look great, and the quality is pretty good. The chroming is exc, but the glass/head fit isn't quite perfect (gap).

Oh and they're made in Asia somewhere.

I bought four instead of two by accident, so if they look good to you we can probably work something out.

K

3. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

I just installed these mirrors on my Scout. I redrilled the drivers side arm so that the mirror wouldn't point at the ground, roughly 45 deg. to factory hole. Still got the "lop-eared" look but I don't really mind it too much, can't notice it while I'm driving. I'm not getting very much vibration out of them. The biggest adjustment I had to make was looking out the windshield to see in the pass. side mirror. Oh yeah, I put spots on both sides, I think i'm going to take it off the driver side 'cause it's blocking the main view.

4. Red_SC

Red_SC Binder Driver

I did end up getting a set of SSII mirrors, but haven't gotten them mounted yet. For some reason, mine didn't come with jack nuts, just four machine screws. No way that's gonna hold. I went to Sears yesterday to see if they had a jack nut tool, but they didn't. Looks like I'm going to have to drive an hour to Harbor Freight to get their $10 tool.

I did redrill the arm on the passenger side so that it is at the same angle as the driver side. Can't tell you how it works since it isn't mounted yet, but it looks like it will work well. I should have it back on the road in a couple more days. I pulled the carpet out to put in Duraliner, and broke the gas pedal. Rust was a little worse than expected, so I ended up patching the floor in 6 places. Finally got the Herculiner in, and it looks great. Now, I'm cutting out the rusted out sections on the seat pedestals so I can get them back in. Amazing how a quick job ends up taking weeks to finish! :eek:

5. Wingnut33

Wingnut33 Farmall Cub

I ended up buying stainless Bronco mirrors from the 80's. I'll post a pic in a couple weeks once they're on.

6. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jamie you dont have to drive to HF. Schofield Hardware right down from your work has those tools for like $3. I bought a whole bag of jack nuts and the basic tool a couple of weeks ago from them but I have yet to use it. If you want you can swing by and borrow the one I have if it is the correct size for the jacknuts you already have.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  7. Red_SC

Red_SC Binder Driver

Thanks John- have to swing by there today for some bolts anyway. I'll pick one up while I'm there.

8. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

I like the SS mirrors, but Ted in our club has a sweet setup

[​IMG]

These are the factory california style trailer mirrors on my rig

[​IMG]

The mirrors on my '79 do the same things as yours, or at least my passenger does, I can only see the ground...

[​IMG]

9. Bahurim

Bahurim Farmall Cub

Great looking Scout Ted has there!!:cool:

First time I have seen those type of mirrors on a Scout. Are they from a Chebby? Do you know if he had to do much grinding to get them to fit the door? Again, awesome ride!!

10. Red_SC

Red_SC Binder Driver

Those mirrors do look about perfect- I wish they'd been posted before I got the SSS ones. They look just like the ones on my '87 K5 Blazer.

11. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was looking for a fold-away mirrior to go on the build up and decided on these. 87-02 Heep
    They can be ran in two different positions and the head can also be folded in to clear the trees!
    I liked them when I got them but when I went to mount them I wasn't sure. Then after they were mounted and I could fold them in, I really liked them.

Tell me what you think.

I did change out the stock mounting gasket for a piece of 1/4" rubber. It helps the mirror clear the dooor in the folded position.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  12. scouting II's

scouting II's High Wheeler

Those mirrors are nice (Ted) if you have doors.., I was thinking in the future I might go doorless.., if I did I would be in the market for mirrors again and I am no completely sold on the ssII mirrors. They look a little goofy to me from the front and the back. Anyone else out there using a mirror that mounts to the window frame (like SSII mirrors)?

It sure would be nice to know from ted what those mirrors are and hopefully they come in black. Elk do not like crome :D

13. engenuityinc

engenuityinc Farmall Cub

I thought I posted my mirrors to this thread, I guess not.

These are Harley mirrors, and they sacrifice function for form, but I am getting a set of stockers for winter (they are like 4x6 Harleys, much bigger then these 4x4). I really like how clean they tuck in. No vibration either.

Maybe later I will drill holes in my door, but its tough to do with fresh paint!

oh, here is that other thread. Knew I posted it.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55544

Attached Files:

14. scouting II's

scouting II's High Wheeler

I agree those mirrors are awesome if you have doors. I am considering going doorless in the future now that my scout is not my main trans. Does anyone have any other ideas for mirrors that mount like the SSII on the window frame.

15. Austen

Austen Farmall Cub

16. engenuityinc

engenuityinc Farmall Cub

Not to beat a dead horse, but the bike style ones are a straight stud with an acorn nut. I considered getting a small stainless plate bent, maybe 12g, and screwing that to the post. Then drill a single hole and mount the mirror. They are super light and stiff, so I bet they would jiggle less then a full mirror. I never checked for line of site though.

17. Ted H

Ted H Farmall Cub

Thanks for the compliments on the Scout and the mirrors. They are chebby replacement mirrors. No grinding required for the mount but the stock mirror angle is not very good so I bent the arms down until the mirror was level.