MiniBuild 20 ~ Buddy B

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Buddy

Buddy Farmall Cub

You know anybody in that area that does suspension work? Just kidding.

Damian and I have discussed suspension folks, but I believe UPS is keeping him too busy. A shame to have the roll cage and no suspension to get into trouble with. And it does need new wheels and tires.

And I've got to say that dash is looking great. Great work guys.

I agree with you Damian about the red "i". But, I'll need to see it in person.

2. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

I agree with Paul, Lots of pics during the build helps everyone see what you are doing and makes it exciting. Also it helps those of us with less "vision" get some great Ideas.

Question on the rear part of the cage
    Why do the rear bars drop down away from the top?:confused:

It seems that if the rear part of the cage were up near the top like the front it would be less likely to hit your head when loading and unloading.

I know that you have a ton of knowledge building cages, I was just looking at it from a practical point and not a structural one

3. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Thanks Paul, can't wait to get this thing running/driving again. Speaking of which, it should be right now! But still, without glass, its a little UN-drivable. I'll have to borrow Stig's helmet and drive it back to Jim's! :D

Now that things are winding down, its time to get that glass in. I simply can't believe how close we're getting. It'll be nice to see it go home!

4. Damian Grihalva

'Cause Pretty Aint Enough' ~ is one of my 'sayings' around here. That saying was coined while I fought to disprove the myths surrounding SOAs ~ when people simply swapped the axle to the other side of the springs to get wheel/tire clearance. 'Man it looks great' was normally the reaction ~ but back then, many SOAs on Scouts didn't exactly 'drive' well.

'Cause Pretty Aint Enough' brings two essential components into focus. First, work should look good. Second, looking good isn't enough. I believe modifications should look and function correctly. I've ~ scratch that ~ we've ALL seen scouts built really 'pretty' ~ and even drive 'great' on the road ~ but be rather ineffective offroad.

And when it comes to the cage (Fred, you're 100% right) Structural strength has nothing to do with it, its to low. Not practical, not even usable.

Jim put in the cage, and lets just say, he's a body/paint kinda guy. I'm the fab guy and was supposed to install the cage, but Jim was on a roll last weekend and...well....screwed up. As soon as he texted me that the cage was done, I feared.

I texted back: 'welded'
    Jim: welded, painted, installed.
    me: Is the bars level?
    Jim: Level
    me: Level with the window? Above or below?

He thinks its great. The rear 'bars are level with the bed-rail' ~ even added: 'Fits perfect in the back of his Chevy pickup'. But as we know, Travellers rear windows and top slope slightly down. My cages are supposed to hug the tops. Giving the occupants as much head room as possible. I'm not concerned with people hitting their heads on this cage as much as I'm concerned with the cages obstructing the view of the rear passengers looking out the window.

As noted before, this scout is SMALL ~ and people aren't exactly looking down on the people next to them (As they should be ;)) NOW HAD THE SCOUT HAVE A LIFT AND 35" TIRES, THIS MAY NOT BE A PROBLEM! ( :) Hahahahahah! Sorry Buddy, couldn't help it.)

So what's to be done? The answer was given the same time the pictures were posted as noted when we covered it a few posts ago:
    So yes, the rear bars are WAY too LOW. And yes, I will be rebuilding the cage. And no, Buddy doesn't have to cover the cost of re-doing the cage (naturally).

5. Damian Grihalva

:tt2:
    You know, I do have a certain scout, with SOA axles for NON-Reverse Shackle, that could be cleaned up and put under this mini-me beast. Even has 35" tires for 15" rims.
    [​IMG]
    But you TEXANS don't wheel. And unfortunately, these axles are already GEARED and LOCKED with 4.56s and Detroits. HECK, the rear axle is a narrowed Dana60 w/ alloys. I mean, TEXAS certainly doesn't have any terrain that would require THAT much gear... Does it? :cornfused:

:tt2:

EDIT: Funny side note, to you recognize the grill or front bumper?

6. Buddy

Buddy Farmall Cub

Dang it! There he goes ribbing me again.
    We've talked about that, D. Your answer was that you're too busy with UPS.

I drive the Houston mountains every day. We just call 'em bridges and overpasses here. Haven't you ever seen the ramp from the tollway onto I-10? That's a monster. :D

Honestly though, we do our own version - which is crawling through sticky gumbo mud. I used to go and do that when I had a Scout a couple years ago. I wonder if I'll ever see it again.

Whoa! Wait a minute. You sold me a used bumper?

7. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

It does in some parts of the state, Just not where we are at.

You got to travel to see much of anything that ain't FLAT. And even then.......It's not like Colorado for sure

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  8. Damian Grihalva

Well, now... I recall the exact wording was....'lets finish the stuff we have going first'

:D ~ Now that is funny. I was thinking, 'What mountains' ~ then remembered, you guys have some low-riders around here and there. They can be some tricky obstacles ~ expecially when their moving around trying to avoid being driven on! I think that could be considered 'technical' wheeling.

Hum...mud. Don't you need wheel spin and all four wheels spinning for that? Hum... Lockers front and rear....and gearing on the high-side. Hum...

Ohhhh....ooowwww....low blow...low blow....
    Ref: 'Lets keep the gloves up'

To quote an Alabama song: 'IN PICTURES!'

No actually I didn't. But I was thinking after I posted that, what DID you get from the Misty's project. Dash pad, cigarette lighter, e-brake release pedal, grill, tailgate, windshield wiper res, sun shades......intake..... Holy crap man. I should just GIVE you those axles! :nono:

And when you think of big trucks, you think of Texas. I've been led on this whole time! (sobs).... Anyway, but there is one thing that you guys do well, from what I've heard. Off road parks.:beer: We go up into the mountains here, but I have to say, I'd really like having an decent off-road park near or in town to play and test modifications BEFORE going up into the rocky mountains to see what breaks! Im my mind, a small off-road park that offers a plethora of reasonable to extremely difficult man-made trails would be really cool ~ even if it was just a mere 120ish acres. That way your not miles from no-where when you do end up...well, broke.

I lost the fuel pump of all things on Misty last time I wheeled. 4, yes, FOUR trips up the mountain to fix it. The first trip ended bad when my mom's jeep's radiator tried to go through the engine fan. The second trip was in a blazer and we retrieved a mechanical pump ~ that didn't work, yes it was new. The third trip we got an electric pump (holley 105 race one). And the last trip was actually bringing the rig down. That weekend sucked.

9. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Banned

We just finished welding up one of your old full cage kits
    The rear area does have alot of drop in it
    It looks pretty good but I think the bars should run parallel with the inside of the top
    In the front area, it's very tight on the window cranks and the glove compartment
    I'm guessing that design has evolved and now the rear bars are level
    Looks good in the truck though
    We took the knobs off the window cranks and that helped
    We took the piano hinge off of the glove compartment door and used Velcro to fasten it, so that it can be removed if necessary
    The guy has a console in the truck so big deal

Sad, but true, alot of us in Texas have some big old trucks just for looks
    Then again, we've got to keep up the image of "everything is bigger in Texas"
    If it looks good going down the road and parked at the mall, that's good enough

10. Damian Grihalva

A standard Scout II and 800 kit does ~ have a drop in them ~ about 5 degree slope then a couple bends around 45*. We have 'Family' kits that keep things above the window for those two models. HOWEVER, the Traveller Cage has always been a 'Family' style kit.

Not exactly my way of doing it, normally I keep the cranks usable. As for the glovebox, if full use is wanted, an "L" cut to keep the hinge intact works great and keeps it 100%.

Heheheh ~ ya, I was just messing with Buddy.

11. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Any progress?
    Sure would like to see your work up close and personal at meeting in Houston some time soon:yes:

12. Damian Grihalva

I've acquired the metal to redo the cage, and will be doing that this weekend. Then we'll clean it up, install the windows, then give it a good test drive. After that, it should be ready to :rockon:

13. dkterra

dkterra Binder Driver

Sorry if it sounds like I want to be spoon fed, but do you have any installation pics or links on the antenna? A quick search I just found some euro stuff but it still wasn't hidden. Thanks :cornfused:

14. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Any updates??

Has Buddy come home to Houston yet?