MiniBuild 20 ~ Buddy B

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Scout's looking better Damian. I emailed Performance Distributors/DUI and they said you should run the vacuum advance...that it will affect the fuel mileage.

2. xyz12383318

xyz12383318 Farmall Cub

Sweet build!

3. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

In case anyone didn't notice, I never say that its 'my way or the highway' ~ I'm the first to say that I may or may not be the best IH builder ~ And I hesitate to claim such a high and mighty position. Scratch that, I wouldn't be so blind to make such an assumption. I do, however insist that I build things my way. If you don't agree, then don't agree. Who's right? Who cares! We're all builders of one sort or another and our 'diversity' brings many flavors to our IH community ~ which I believe only magnifies our community ~ giving place for every build.

So, on the distributor objections. You are obviously free to run what ever you'd like. I've talked to Performance Distributors too ~ many times about this issue. What I gleened from the conversation is that YES ~ technically you could get better mileage ~ and chances are that you probably would. But when I talked to them, they were unsure if it would even be measurable ~ seemed to me that it was more probably that it wouldn't HURT mileage rather than help it.

I've installed them both ways and have gotten great results from all installations of the DUI units. Weather or not people choose to run the VA is purely their choice. Performance Distributors sends block-off plates with every DUI in case you choose to remove it.

That said ~ and not be be around the bush, I do not run them ~ it complicates installation (as Jim needed Chris's help mentioned above, and many mechanics unfamiliar with IH motors have had considerable trouble installing them with the VA in place) as well as limits the adjust-ability of the unit when setting timing once installed.

Oddly enough, I've also heard many people say that parts of the cap hit the housing when installing it. I have never ran into that. Perhaps when you install the DUI with a VA you have to clock the cap to fit the VA which causes this interference. Perhaps not.

Either way, its purely to the customers digression weather or not they will use the VA or not. I think that I have clearly stated my position, and thank those who voice contrary opinions to help 'clear' the water (in case it needed clearing).

4. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Any progress??

5. Damian Grihalva

Yes there are. But the progress you've seen has trickled to a very very small stream. Unfortunately about the same time the Vinatage Air system came in, Jims soon to be Ex-Father-in-Law was struck by a car. He was in a Chevy Cavalier and the car that hit him was a larger SUV going 70ish. It hit him in the driver-side door.

Basically, Kent was LifeFlighted to the hospital and suffered an amazing amount of injuries. Included where two shattered ankles, two punctured lungs, 11 ribs broke, head injuries galore, spleen ripped from his stomach, among several others. Doctors kept him in a coma while they operated, waited, operated again, and so forth. The outlook was bleak at best. As they the days wore on, docs discovered some internal bleeding and slowly, each problem was fixed. After 2 weeks now, Kent is pulling through.

What does this have to do with Jim? Kent owns the shop Jim works at. Its an auto detailer and then some. With Kent being out of commission, Jim has taken his roll and is running the detailer. As there has been family and friends in town, Jim hasn't had much time. As soon as things settle a bit, Jim will be resuming work on Sonny and Cringer.

As for me, I've been filling the orders we have for other stuff. Almost all of which are done. After I get a couple cages built, and shipped (which is all that's left) I'll be resuming work on the projects to get them moving again.

6. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Been a few months, Any progress?

7. Damian Grihalva

Yes, I actually talked to Buddy a little earlier this week. We've obviously been slacking, and I appologize to him for that. However, there's been a few things that have changed, and I was distracted doing some in-house stuff. Anyway, there isn't any big changes, not enough to photo and update, but there has been some progress on the stereo ~ namely we are getting the sub box built and we should have it together quickly.

8. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Banned

...[snip]....
    Happy Easter everyone

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  9. Damian Grihalva

I've been asked to edit this thread to delete the non-essential stuff. Therefore I have done that. I apologize if that offends anyone, but this is my forum and my thread. It documents a build for a good guy that has been patient with me during a tough time of year.

As for Fred. I actually like mild reminders to update threads ~ and he's done that. I appreciate both sides of the coin here, but I need to insist that the build remains a build.

10. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Bump for updates

11. Damian Grihalva

Holy cow. There's actually quite a bit to add to the thread. We are back at it, and hope to finish the Scout by the 24th. As there are quite a few updates, and I'm on the way to the shop to go over a game plan with a buddy, I'll have to post those updates a little later.

12. Damian Grihalva

While I'm updating threads, why not this one too...

We've had a pretty rough year over at D&C, not the lack of work ~ more like the lack of time. More on that later next month. Lets get to why we're all here. BUILDING SCOUTS!

Here's a sneek peak at the gauge panel that's going into Sonny.
    [​IMG]

And some sneek peeks at some bumpers we've got in the works, yes, one will be on Sonny.
    [​IMG]

But the big changes are inside of Sonny. We started installing the interior and running the interior wires around...and that's where this story begins.

The new door panels look great. I love the look and feel of the seats matching the doors. Very cool.
    [​IMG]

In case you didn't notice. The stereo should be pretty sweet in Sonny. Each door gets two speakers each. These 2" tweeters (angled slightly towards the occupants).
    [​IMG]

And the 6" mid-range at the bottom of the doors.
    [​IMG]
    These two speakers are controlled by a cross-over. A cross-over is a junction point where the tweeter's high-notes and the mid-range's mids are separated and sent to the corresponding speaker for better sound quality. Should be sweet.

Powering the speakers is the 4-channel amp.
    [​IMG]

This little baby is Kickers 350 watt amplifier. Not allot per channel, but it'll really boost the power to the speakers.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't easy to mount this thing on the side of the bed, but it was the best place. Its up and out of the way from anything Buddy will put in the middle, as well as out of harms way in case the Scout gets flooded again! Here's the power-in lines.
    [​IMG]

Another view with the rear seat ~ its tight, but in there.
    [​IMG]

13. Damian Grihalva

On the other side of the amp the stereo imput/output make their way...
    [​IMG]

Close up, you can see the Kicker amp kit includes enough RCA jacks to wire all 4 channels from deck to amp.
    [​IMG]

When fishing wires through the cab of a Scout, its good to use labels. Still, I must have double-checked these pups at least 3 times.
    [​IMG]

Wiring the passenger rear speaker was the easiest ~ this is a 3-way 6x9. The big speaker handles bass, the two little ones handle treble and mid-range.
    [​IMG]

Wiring was run with the other wires going to the back of the Scout. This is pre-loom of course.
    [​IMG]

These are the RCA's that will plug into the back of the head-unit (deck). And the AMP-ON signal wire. They have to wait for the dash to be reinstalled.
    [​IMG]

That's it for the stereo stuff for now...more to come on that later. I'm sure you guys want to see what the interior is starting to look like, so here ya go.

Here's a picture from the rear window into the passenger compartment. Although the passenger seat is in there now, this shows you how the door panel works with the rest of the interior.
    [​IMG]

One without the flash gives better perspective.
    [​IMG]

Back cargo still all business despite the fancy stuff up front.
    [​IMG]

...but I still love the way the rear seat came out...beautiful. Need some paint and a good vacuuming ~ but that'll come in time.
    [​IMG]

More to come later.

14. Damian Grihalva

Well, as luck would have it, not everything goes as planned. While installing the DUI distributor, we found a little mishap.
    [​IMG]

Yup, one of the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing was...well, broke.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure how you break that big cast housing, but it was. Not sure how long it was broke for, but that would explain why the coolant level wasn't any higher than the thermostat.

Well, the good thing is that the Shop had a visitor. Let me introduce you guys (in case you haven't already met him) to Jayson. Jayson owns AZ Binders down in the Phoenix area and was up here in Colorado visiting his father ~ who happens to live about 15 minutes away. Well, he stopped by ~ which may have been a mistake, because I put him to work!
    [​IMG]

Kid works fast!
    [​IMG]

We pulled the manifold off Sonny and got another one from my 'secret parts guy'. While that manifold is getting blasted, we used some painters tape to keep things out of the motor.
    [​IMG]

While Jayson was busy working on the manifold, I kept going on the stereo stuff. Finished 'plumbing' the amp...
    [​IMG]

...and started running wire to the deck.
    [​IMG]

...cut the driver side speaker hole for the rear speaker ~ had Jayson put the Dynamat in there ~ he's A LOT skinner than I am, and can fit his hands in there easier than I can.
    [​IMG]
    Had I done it....well, lets just say it wouldn't have been very 'graceful' looking!:hammer:

Meanwhile, I did what I do best, lay around.....(under the scout and run/loom wires!)
    [​IMG]

Still needs secured, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  15. Damian Grihalva

Next we'll tackle something VERY COOL. This is a first for me, and I'll have to say that I was a little apprehensive. With that, lets take a look at what I'm talking about....
    [​IMG]

That's right. VintageAir! You may have heard of them before ~ normally we see them on TV shows of all sorts. But I was talking to Jeff and he has installed a few of them, so I figured I'd give it a try. Since Sonny will be returning to Texas (Houston), I can only imagine how nice it'll be to have a good working AC unit.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm put together a GroupBuy to help get a few guys who want a good heater/AC unit in there scout a few hundred off. Anyway ~ the GroupBuy on these (and any other VintageAir system) located here:
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=657366#post657366

The kit came in several boxes. And for what we paid (less than $1600) I was actually pretty impressed with what we got...
    [​IMG]

Here we are taking inventory.
    [​IMG]

On of the cool things is the unit itself. This really got me excited. First, its pretty compact. Second, do you see any cable connections? How about vacuum 'pots'?
    [​IMG]
    The answer to that is NO! Seriously, there are NO cables, NO vacuum run levers/doors. This baby is all electronic. That means those same servos you used in your old RC car ~ that same technology is built right into this unit.

Needless to say, here's the Holy Grail! :yes:
    [​IMG]
    :D

Anyway ~ so this begs the question, how do you control this unit. Well, the answer lay in one of the smallest boxes in the bunch. This thing.
    [​IMG]

Open that up....
    [​IMG]

How about one with the flash...
    [​IMG]
    That's right, that little panel controls the whole unit. And all you need to do to make it run (besides connecting shockingly few wires) is plugging that small cord into the unit itself. Seriously. Could it really be that easy?

I have gotten a few questions regarding this control module. This module is ALUMINUM, not plastic. It is CNC machined and very nice. There are two kinds you can get, a 'brushed/polished' unit, or black. We opted to get the anodized black version for it to mesh with the soon-to-be painted dash and not stick out like a sore thumb ~ realizing that we're about to put an aluminum dash panel on it... Well, you'll see.

Anyway, lets take a look. Here's the control panel flipped on its front.
    [​IMG]
    Those knobs up front are connected to those thingies in the back. And they control what vents are used, and what vents are shut ~ or any combination of the two. Freakin' cool man. Not a single hard-to-push/pull cable to be found. AND GET THIS ~ this particular unit (the GenIV MAGNUM) not only puts a new A/C unit in your Scout, its a fully functioning heater as well. That's right, your old heater box, is GONE! So when I say no cables, I mean NO cables.

How cool is that.

Now this posting is all after-the-fact. We are pretty much done installing the system by the time you read this. Although I'll be covering the remainder of the install as detailed as I can later ~ I want to say that I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the system. I actually have one going into my Travelette project. In fact, I can only see these things going into more and more Scouts...so I'm becoming a dealer for them. The buy-in is quite large, but I'm put together a GroupBuy to help get a few guys who want a good heater/AC unit in there scout a few hundred off. Anyway ~ the GroupBuy on these (and any other VintageAir system) located here:
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=657366#post657366

If you're interested, check out the thread. And contact me. I need to order a few systems and the more we order the better the price. I'll be passing that savings directly to the people who participate. I will be closing the GroupBuy at the middle of August 2010. So if you're reading this after that, you missed the boat.

Anyway, enjoy the updates. I've got much more to do...so...back to the shop I go...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  16. Korllach

Korllach Farmall Cub

Nice work on the stereo install, that looks fantastic.

One point about the remote controls for stereos: it isn't a laziness factor, it is more of a safety factor. with all of the complex controls of stereo's these days if you want to change inputs (main deck, cd changer, XM, iPod) change stations, adjust sound settings etc, it is safer to have a remote with these things programmed by touch, rather than take your eyes off the road to find the tiny button labeled for what you want to do, and then proceed accordingly.

Much safer to have the remote in your hand, and adjust things by the feel of the button.

17. Buddy

Buddy Farmall Cub

Damian - What's happening? Anything? I haven't heard from you. :confused:

18. shoobear

shoobear Farmall Cub

any updates?
    interior is looking sweet!!!!

19. Damian Grihalva

Good gravy, I will update this thread as quickly as possible. There are TONS of pictures to post.

20. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Seeing some progress will be a nice present for Buddy. His Birthday is Monday (11-22)